- Parametric estimate of intensity inhomogeneities applied to MRI
Department of Computer Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27514, USA
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 19:153-65. 2000
..A large number of MR image data acquired with breast, surface, and head coils, both in two dimensions and three dimensions, have been processed and demonstrate the versatility and robustness of this new bias correction scheme...
- Statistical shape analysis of neuroanatomical structures based on medial models
Department of Computer Science, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Med Image Anal 7:207-20. 2003
..A new medial shape similarity study of group differences between monozygotic and dizygotic twins in lateral ventricle shape demonstrates the meaningful and powerful representation of local and global form...
- Boundary and medial shape analysis of the hippocampus in schizophrenia
Department of Computer Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, CB 3175, Sitterson Hall, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 317, USA
Med Image Anal 8:197-203. 2004
..The results strongly suggest that the normalized hippocampal shape of the schizophrenic group is different from the control group, most significantly as a deformation difference in the tail region...
- Morphometric analysis of lateral ventricles in schizophrenia and healthy controls regarding genetic and disease-specific factors
Department of Computer Science, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3175, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:4872-7. 2005
..Our results suggest that genetics have a stronger influence on the shape of lateral ventricles than do the disease-related changes in schizophrenia...
- Three-dimensional surgical simulation
Lucia H C Cevidanes
Department of Orthodontics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 138:361-71. 2010
..Computer-aided surgery can make the elaboration of the surgical plan a more flexible process, increase the level of detail and accuracy of the plan, yield higher operative precision and control, and enhance documentation of cases...
- Intrinsic regression models for manifold-valued data
Department of Biostatistics, Radiology, Psychiatry and Computer Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 12:192-9. 2009
..We apply our methods to the detection of the difference in the morphological changes of the left and right hippocampi between schizophrenia patients and healthy controls using medial shape description...
- Accurate and robust reconstruction of a surface model of the proximal femur from sparse-point data and a dense-point distribution model for surgical navigation
MEM Research Center, University of Bern, Stauffacherstrasse 78, CH 3014 Bern, Switzerland
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 54:2109-22. 2007
..An average 95-percentile error of 1.7-2.3 mm was found when the present approach was used to reconstruct surface models of the cadaver femurs from sparse-point data with noise added...
- FRATS: Functional Regression Analysis of DTI Tract Statistics
Department of Biostatistics, and Biomedical ResearchImaging Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC27599, USA
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 29:1039-49. 2010
..The resulting analysis pipeline can be used for understanding normal brain development, the neural bases of neuropsychiatric disorders, and the joint effects of environmental and genetic factors on white matter fiber bundles...
- Multivariate varying coefficient models for DTI tract statistics
Department of Biostatistics, Radiology, Psychiatry and Computer Science, and Biomedical Research Imaging Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 13:690-7. 2010
..Significant time effects on the four diffusion properties were found...
- [Three-dimensional superimposition of the skull base for the longitudinal evaluation of the effects of growth and of treatment]
Lucia H S Cevidanes
University of North Carolina, Department of Orthodontics, Chapel Hill, 27599 7450, USA
Orthod Fr 80:347-57. 2009
..This enables a detailed examination of the adaptation patterns for patients who experience clinically significant skeletal changes with growth and/or treatment...
- Multi-object analysis of volume, pose, and shape using statistical discrimination
Department of Computer Science, University of North Carolina, CB 3175, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3175, USA
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 32:652-61. 2010
- Cortical correspondence with probabilistic fiber connectivity
Department of Computer Science, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Inf Process Med Imaging 21:651-63. 2009
..Experimental results are presented, showing improved correspondence quality demonstrated by a cortical thickness analysis, as compared to correspondence methods using spatial metrics as the sole correspondence criterion...
- Reduced relationship to cortical white matter volume revealed by tractography-based segmentation of the corpus callosum in young children with developmental delay
Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3367, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:2157-63. 2006
..The purpose of this study was to measure the corpus callosum in a clinical group of developmentally delayed children using a subdivision that more accurately reflected the anatomical properties of the corpus callosum...
- Prenatal and neonatal brain structure and white matter maturation in children at high risk for schizophrenia
John H Gilmore
Conte Schizophrenia Research Center and Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7160, USA
Am J Psychiatry 167:1083-91. 2010
..This study was conducted to identify structural brain abnormalities in the prenatal and neonatal periods associated with genetic risk for schizophrenia...
- Cranial base superimposition for 3-dimensional evaluation of soft-tissue changes
Lucia H C Cevidanes
Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 137:S120-9. 2010
..It is equally important to be able to detect changes in the facial soft tissues produced by growth or treatment. This requires structures of reference for superimposition and a way to display the changes with quantitative information...
- Genetic and environmental contributions to neonatal brain structure: A twin study
John H Gilmore
UNC Schizophrenia Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 31:1174-82. 2010
..More detailed studies of the changes in the relative genetic and environmental effects on brain structure throughout early childhood development are needed...
- Maturational trajectories of cortical brain development through the pubertal transition: unique species and sex differences in the monkey revealed through structural magnetic resonance imaging
Rebecca C Knickmeyer
Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Cereb Cortex 20:1053-63. 2010
..The authors discuss the possible implications of these findings for research using the rhesus macaque as a model for neurodevelopmental disorders...
- Asymmetrical ventricular enlargement in Parkinson's disease
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7025, USA, and University Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Mov Disord 22:1657-60. 2007
..This is the first report to suggest the presence of asymmetrical ventricular enlargement in PD, findings that may be worthy of further study...
- Adjusted exponentially tilted likelihood with applications to brain morphology
Department of Biostatistics and Biomedical Research Imaging Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Biometrics 65:919-27. 2009
..We demonstrate the application of our new statistical methods to the detection of statistically significant differences in the morphology of the hippocampus between two schizophrenia groups and healthy subjects...