- University of Washington Twin Registry: poised for the next generation of twin research
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Twin Res Hum Genet 16:455-62. 2013
..These include 'omics', epigenetics, gene-by-environment interactions, and other novel methods to understand human health...
- The effects of daily distress and personality on genital HSV shedding and lesions in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trial of acyclovir in HSV-2 seropositive women
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98101, United States
Brain Behav Immun 25:1475-81. 2011
..These results support the hypothesis that psychological distress is both a cause and a consequence of genital lesion episodes...
- Current smoking as a predictor of chronic musculoskeletal pain in young adult twins
Amy Lewandowski Holley
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington Center for Child Health, Behavior and Development, Seattle Children s Research Institute, Seattle, Washington Electronic address
J Pain 14:1131-9. 2013
..Longitudinal studies and recruitment of participants prior to smoking initiation and chronic pain onset will better identify causal associations...
- Does caregiving cause psychological distress? The case for familial and genetic vulnerabilities in female twins
Peter P Vitaliano
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, PO Box 356560, Seattle, WA, 98195, USA
Ann Behav Med 47:198-207. 2014
..Informal caregiving can be deleterious to mental health, but research results are inconsistent and may reflect an interaction between caregiving and vulnerability to stress...
- Chronic fatigue and personality: a twin study of causal pathways and shared liabilities
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
Ann Behav Med 45:289-98. 2013
..The etiology of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) remains unknown. Personality traits influence well-being and may play a role in CFS and unexplained chronic fatigue...
- Genetic and environmental influences on residential location in the US
Glen E Duncan
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Raitt Hall, Seattle, WA 98195 3410, USA
Health Place 18:515-9. 2012
..Thus, minimal variance in walkability was explained by shared genetic effects in younger and older twins, and confirms the importance of environmental factors in walkability of residential locations...
- Sleep duration and depressive symptoms: a gene-environment interaction
Nathaniel F Watson
Department of Neurology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA UW Medicine Sleep Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA Center for Research on the Management of Sleep Disturbances, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Sleep 37:351-8. 2014
..We used quantitative genetic models to assess whether sleep duration modifies genetic and environmental influences on depressive symptoms...
- Stepping towards causation in studies of neighborhood and environmental effects: how twin research can overcome problems of selection and reverse causation
Glen E Duncan
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Nutritional Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA Electronic address
Health Place 27:106-11. 2014
..We conclude that collaboration among investigators from multiple fields can move the field forward by designing studies that step toward causation. ..