- Longitudinal trends in nutritional status and the relation between lung function and BMI in cystic fibrosis: a population-based cohort study
Anne L Stephenson
Adult Cystic Fibrosis Program, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 97:872-7. 2013
..A high-calorie diet has been a standard of care in cystic fibrosis (CF) for >3 decades. However, energy requirements may have changed with new treatments and milder genotypes...
- Cholinesterase inhibitors and adverse pulmonary events in older people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and concomitant dementia: a population-based, cohort study
Women s College Research Institute, Women s College Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Drugs Aging 29:213-23. 2012
..Cholinesterase inhibitors (ChEIs) are a mainstay treatment for individuals with dementia. ChEIs may worsen airflow obstruction because of their pro-cholinergic properties...
- Inhaled anticholinergic drug therapy and the risk of acute urinary retention in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a population-based study
Department of Medicine, Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Arch Intern Med 171:914-20. 2011
..The systemic anticholinergic effects of IAC therapy have not been extensively studied. This study sought to determine the risk of acute urinary retention (AUR) in seniors with COPD using IACs...
- Socioeconomic status and risk of hospitalization among individuals with cystic fibrosis in Ontario, Canada
Adult CF Program, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pediatr Pulmonol 46:376-84. 2011
..The objective of this study was to assess the effect of SES on annual hospitalization rates in a large cohort of pediatric and adult CF subjects under a universal health care system...
- Higher risk of hospitalization among females with cystic fibrosis
Adult CF Program, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Cyst Fibros 10:93-9. 2011
..The objective was to assess sex-specific differences in hospitalization rates after adjusting for clinically important factors within a universal health care system...
- Cholecalciferol significantly increases 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations in adults with cystic fibrosis
Toronto Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 85:1307-11. 2007
..Vitamin D deficiency is increasingly being recognized and treated in patients with cystic fibrosis, although the treatment guidelines are not proven and the effectiveness of vitamin D preparations is untested...
- Impact of lung transplantation on serum lipids in adults with cystic fibrosis
Edward F Nash
Toronto Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Heart Lung Transplant 30:188-93. 2011
..The aim of this study was to examine the impact of lung transplantation on the prevalence of hyperlipidemia in CF adults...
- Increased serum vitamin A and E levels after lung transplantation
Adult CF Program, St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transplantation 92:601-6. 2011
..It is unclear whether this finding is specific to the CF population or inherent to the lung transplantation process...
- Prevalence of dyslipidemia in adults with cystic fibrosis
Toronto Adult Cystic Fibrosis Program, St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond Street, 6th Floor, Toronto, ON, Canada M5B 1W8
J Cyst Fibros 9:24-8. 2010
..A high fat calorie diet is advocated for patients with cystic fibrosis (CF) however the lipid profiles of individuals with CF, including those with CF-related diabetes (CFRD), are not well studied...
- Incidence of deep vein thrombosis associated with peripherally inserted central catheters in adults with cystic fibrosis
Edward F Nash
Toronto Adult Cystic Fibrosis Clinic, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Vasc Interv Radiol 20:347-51. 2009
- Prevalence of vertebral fractures in adults with cystic fibrosis and their relationship to bone mineral density
Department of Respirology, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Chest 130:539-44. 2006
..The objectives of this study were to determine the prevalence of morphometric vertebral fractures in a large cohort of adult cystic fibrosis (CF) patients, and to examine the association between fractures and bone mineral density (BMD)...
- Increased vitamin A and E levels in adult cystic fibrosis patients after lung transplantation
Toronto Adult CF Centre, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Transplantation 79:613-5. 2005
..Although the etiology of this novel finding is unclear, possibilities include altered absorption, drug interactions, impaired retinol metabolism, or increased hepatic synthesis of retinol binding protein...
- Role of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator in patients with chronic sinopulmonary disease
Department of Pediatrics, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Chest 142:996-1004. 2012
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and socioeconomic status: a systematic review
Andrea S Gershon
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
COPD 9:216-26. 2012
..We conducted a systematic review to examine the consistency and magnitude of the association between socioeconomic status and COPD health outcomes to determine the potential impact of SES disparity on the COPD population...
- Combination antibiotic susceptibility testing to treat exacerbations of cystic fibrosis associated with multiresistant bacteria: a randomised, double-blind, controlled clinical trial
Shawn D Aaron
The Ottawa Health Research Institute, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Lancet 366:463-71. 2005
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacteremia and prostatitis in a patient with cystic fibrosis
Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, ON
Can Urol Assoc J 7:E1-3. 2013
..We report a case of a 26-year-old man presenting with acute Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacterial prostatitis due to hematogenous propagation from a chronic pulmonary infection...