- Community empowerment and involvement of female sex workers in targeted sexual and reproductive health interventions in Africa: a systematic review
MatCH Maternal, Adolescent and Child Health, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Durban, South Africa
Global Health 10:47. 2014
..We systematically reviewed community empowerment processes within FSW SRH projects in Africa, and assessed them using a framework developed by Ashodaya, an Indian sex worker organisation...
- Periodic presumptive treatment of curable sexually transmitted infections among sex workers: a systematic review
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherland
AIDS 26:437-45. 2012
..Periodic presumptive treatment (PPT) has been used with sex workers to reduce their high burden of largely asymptomatic STIs. The objective of this review is to assess benefits and harms of PPT among female sex workers...
- Sex work and the 2010 FIFA World Cup: time for public health imperatives to prevail
Marlise L Richter
International Centre for Reproductive Health, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Ghent University, De Pintelaan 185, Ghent 9000, Belgium
Global Health 6:1. 2010
..In short, the authors argue for a moratorium on the enforcement of laws that persecute and victimise sex workers during the World Cup period...
- Control of sexually transmitted infections and prevention of HIV transmission: mending a fractured paradigm
World Health Organization Regional Office for South East Asia, New Delhi, India
Bull World Health Organ 87:858-65. 2009
..Reliable surveillance and related data are critical for designing and evaluating interventions and for assessing control efforts...
- Periodic presumptive treatment of curable sexually transmitted infections among sex workers: recent experience with implementation
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Infect Dis 25:100-6. 2012
..Yet, most infections are asymptomatic and sensitive screening tests are rarely affordable or feasible. Periodic presumptive treatment (PPT) has been used as a component of STI control interventions to rapidly reduce STI prevalence...
- Halting and reversing HIV epidemics in Asia by interrupting transmission in sex work: experience and outcomes from ten countries
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Netherlands
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 11:999-1015. 2013
..Thailand and Cambodia, having controlled transmission early, are closest to providing universal access to HIV care, support and treatment and are exploring HIV elimination strategies. ..
- Looking upstream to prevent HIV transmission: can interventions with sex workers alter the course of HIV epidemics in Africa as they did in Asia?
aDepartment of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands bCentre for Health Policy, Faculty of Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Witwatersrand, South Africa cCreating 010, Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences, Rotterdam dNijmegen International Center for Health System Analysis and Education, Department of Primary and Community Care, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, The Netherlands eLondon School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
AIDS 28:891-9. 2014
..We used a stochastic microsimulation model (STDSIM) to explore such transmission dynamics in a generalized African HIV epidemic...
- Quality assurance and quality improvement using supportive supervision in a large-scale STI intervention with sex workers, men who have sex with men/transgenders and injecting-drug users in India
Family Health International, New Delhi, India
Sex Transm Infect 86:i83-8. 2010
..The authors report methods and results of continued quality monitoring in a large-scale STI services provided as a part of a broader HIV-prevention package in six Indian states under Avahan, the India AIDS Initiative...