- Differences in the management of Crohn's disease among experts and community providers, based on a national survey of sample case vignettes
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Division of Digestive Diseases, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 26:1005-18. 2007
..When faced with the same set of facts, healthcare providers often make different diagnoses, employ different tests and prescribe disparate therapies...
- Is irritable bowel syndrome a diagnosis of exclusion?: a survey of primary care providers, gastroenterologists, and IBS experts
Brennan M R Spiegel
Department of Gastroenterology, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, California 90073, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 105:848-58. 2010
..Yet many clinicians are concerned about overlooking alternative diagnoses. We measured beliefs about whether IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, and measured testing proclivity between IBS experts and community providers...
- Understanding gastrointestinal distress: a framework for clinical practice
Brennan M R Spiegel
Department of Gastroenterology, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 106:380-5. 2011
..When appropriate, screen for suicidal ideations. Finally, we provide a list of high-yield questions to screen for these maladaptive cognitions and emotions, and explain how the GI distress framework can be used in clinical practice...
- Controversies in ulcerative colitis: a survey comparing decision making of experts versus community gastroenterologists
Brennan M R Spiegel
Veteran s Administration Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, California, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:168-74, 174.e1. 2009
..We performed a national vignette survey to measure variations in decision-making in areas of controversy...
- Adherence to best practice guidelines in dyspepsia: a survey comparing dyspepsia experts, community gastroenterologists and primary-care providers
B M R Spiegel
Department of Gastroenterology, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 29:871-81. 2009
..Although 'best practice' guidelines for dyspepsia management have been disseminated, it remains unclear whether providers adhere to these guidelines...
- Psychometric evaluation of patient-reported outcomes in irritable bowel syndrome randomized controlled trials: a Rome Foundation report
Department of Medicine, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, California, USA
Gastroenterology 137:1944-53.e1-3. 2009
..We pooled data to measure the psychometric properties of IBS end points, including binary responses (eg, "adequate relief") and 50% improvement in symptom severity...
- Long-term risk of acute diverticulitis among patients with incidental diverticulosis found during colonoscopy
University of California Los Angeles Veteran s Affairs Center for Outcomes Research and Education, Los Angeles, California
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 11:1609-13. 2013
..We measured the long-term risk of acute diverticulitis among patients with confirmed diverticulosis discovered incidentally on colonoscopy...
- Assessing health status in inflammatory bowel disease using a novel single-item numeric rating scale
F Widjaja Foundation Inflammatory Bowel and Immunobiology Research Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, 8635 W 3rd St 960 Wv, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Dig Dis Sci 58:1313-21. 2013
..A numeric rating scale (NRS) is a quick, inexpensive, and convenient patient-reported outcome that can capture the patient's overall perception of health...
- Developing valid and reliable health utilities in irritable bowel syndrome: results from the IBS PROOF Cohort
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System UCLA, Digestive Diseaes, 11301 Wilshire Blvd, Building 11, Room 21E, Los Angeles, California 90073, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 104:1984-91. 2009
..To inform future cost-utility analyses in IBS, we measured and validated the IBS utilities...
- Predictors of patient-assessed illness severity in irritable bowel syndrome
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Center for Outcomes Research and Education, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 103:2536-43. 2008
..Since severity is a patient-centered outcome, it is essential that future instruments are based on patients' self-perceptions of severity. We measured patient-derived predictors of severity in a large cohort of IBS patients...
- Increased risk for irritable bowel syndrome after acute diverticulitis
Department of Gastroenterology, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, California
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 11:1614-9. 2013
..We compared the incidence of IBS and functional bowel and related affective disorders among patients with diverticulitis...
- Dialysis practices that distinguish facilities with below- versus above-expected mortality
Department of Medicine, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:2024-33. 2010
..Practices were identified that distinguish top- from bottom-performing facilities by SMR...
- Atherosclerosis in systemic sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis
University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Arthritis Rheum 63:2078-90. 2011
..The aim of this study was to perform a systematic review and meta-analysis to determine whether the risk of atherosclerosis is increased in SSc patients compared to healthy individuals...
- Evaluating the process of care in nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage: a survey of expert vs. non-expert gastroenterologists
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, California, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 28:1199-208. 2008
..Aim To perform a survey to measure the process of care and variations in decision-making in nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal tract haemorrhage (NVUGIH) and compare results between experts and non-experts...