- Elfeddali I, van der Feltz Cornelis C, Van Os J, Knappe S, Vieta E, Wittchen H, et al. Horizon 2020 priorities in clinical mental health research: results of a consensus-based ROAMER expert survey. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2014;11:10915-39 pubmed publisher..Finally, the experts stressed the importance of creating funding and coordinated networking as essential action needed in order to target the variety of challenges in clinical mental health research. ..
- Vieta E, Angst J, Reed C, Bertsch J, Haro J. Predictors of switching from mania to depression in a large observational study across Europe (EMBLEM). J Affect Disord. 2009;118:118-23 pubmed publisher..Clinical history, illness severity, co-morbidities and treatment patterns are associated with switching to depression. Atypical antipsychotics may protect against switch to depression. ..
- Reinares M, BonnÃn C, Hidalgo Mazzei D, Undurraga J, Mur M, Nieto E, et al. Making sense of DSM-5 mania with depressive features. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2015;49:540-9 pubmed publisher..Groups differed regarding clinical characteristics, course of illness, psychosocial functioning, prescribed treatment and symptom progress. Depressive symptoms in mania should be routinely assessed and considered to guide treatment. ..
- BonnÃn C, Reinares M, Hidalgo Mazzei D, Undurraga J, Mur M, SÃ¡ez C, et al. Predictors of functional outcome after a manic episode. J Affect Disord. 2015;182:121-5 pubmed publisher..Psychotic symptoms at index episode, number of past depressive episodes, and BMI predict worse outcome after 6 months follow-up after a manic episode, and may constitute the target of specific treatment strategies. ..
- Vieta E, Panicali F, Goetz I, Reed C, Comes M, Tohen M. Olanzapine monotherapy and olanzapine combination therapy in the treatment of mania: 12-week results from the European Mania in Bipolar Longitudinal Evaluation of Medication (EMBLEM) observational study. J Affect Disord. 2008;106:63-72 pubmed..The use of olanzapine monotherapy or combination varies significantly across countries, but combination is generally the rule, rather than the exception. ..
- ..Current knowledge of the evolving pharmacological and psychological strategies in bipolar disorder is of utmost importance. ..
- Vieta E, Sluth L, Olsen C. The effects of vortioxetine on cognitive dysfunction in patients with inadequate response to current antidepressants in major depressive disorder: A short-term, randomized, double-blind, exploratory study versus escitalopram. J Affect Disord. 2018;227:803-809 pubmed publisher..The overall direction of numerical effect sizes across cognition endpoints support previous findings that vortioxetine specifically benefits cognitive function in MDD. ..
- Pacchiarotti I, Murru A, Kotzalidis G, Bonnin C, Mazzarini L, Colom F, et al. Hyperprolactinemia and medications for bipolar disorder: systematic review of a neglected issue in clinical practice. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015;25:1045-59 pubmed publisher..Based on the results of this review, lithium and valproate appear to be safer due to their low potential to elevate sPrL; among antipsychotics, quetiapine, lurasidone and aripiprazole appear to be similarly safe. ..
- LeÃ³n Caballero J, Pacchiarotti I, Murru A, ValentÃ M, Colom F, Benach B, et al. Bipolar disorder and antibodies against the N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor: A gate to the involvement of autoimmunity in the pathophysiology of bipolar illness. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2015;55:403-12 pubmed publisher..Future studies are needed to characterize the relationship between anti-NMDAR auto-Abs and BD. ..
- Murru A, Primavera D, Oliva M, Meloni M, Vieta E, Carpiniello B. The role of comorbidities in duration of untreated illness for bipolar spectrum disorders. J Affect Disord. 2015;188:319-23 pubmed publisher..Personality disorders in depressed patients could delay a correct diagnosis of BD, factors associated with an increased likelihood of BD must be considered. More research on personality disorder comorbidities is needed. ..
- Tomioka Y, Jiménez E, Salagre E, Arias B, Mitjans M, Ruiz V, et al. Association between genetic variation in the myo-inositol monophosphatase 2 (IMPA2) gene and age at onset of bipolar disorder. J Affect Disord. 2018;232:229-236 pubmed publisher..003; OR = .197, CI95%[.07-.58]) compared to LO-BD. Our results provide evidence for genetic differences between EO-BD and LO-BD at the IMPA2 gene as well as clinical differences between subgroups with therapeutic implications. ..
- Hidalgo Mazzei D, Mateu A, Reinares M, Matic A, Vieta E, Colom F. Internet-based psychological interventions for bipolar disorder: Review of the present and insights into the future. J Affect Disord. 2015;188:1-13 pubmed publisher..However, considering the high rates of retention and compliance reported, they represent a potential highly feasible and acceptable method of delivering this kind of interventions to bipolar patients. ..
- Vieta E, Ros S, Goikolea J, Benabarre A, Popova E, Comes M, et al. An open-label study of amisulpride in the treatment of mania. J Clin Psychiatry. 2005;66:575-8 pubmed..D(2) and D(3) antagonism may be involved in the mechanisms of the therapeutic response to antipsychotics in mania. ..
- Vieta E, Locklear J, Günther O, Ekman M, Miltenburger C, Chatterton M, et al. Treatment options for bipolar depression: a systematic review of randomized, controlled trials. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2010;30:579-90 pubmed publisher..Quetiapine and the olanzapine-fluoxetine combination showed the greatest symptomatic improvement. Efficacy considerations will need to be balanced against safety and tolerability of the individual agents. ..
- Vieta E, T Joen C, McQuade R, Carson W, Marcus R, Sanchez R, et al. Efficacy of adjunctive aripiprazole to either valproate or lithium in bipolar mania patients partially nonresponsive to valproate/lithium monotherapy: a placebo-controlled study. Am J Psychiatry. 2008;165:1316-25 pubmed publisher..Adjunctive aripiprazole therapy showed significant improvements in mania symptoms as early as week 1 and demonstrated a tolerability profile similar to that of monotherapy studies. ..
- Vieta E, Owen R, Baudelet C, McQuade R, Sanchez R, Marcus R. Assessment of safety, tolerability and effectiveness of adjunctive aripiprazole to lithium/valproate in bipolar mania: a 46-week, open-label extension following a 6-week double-blind study. Curr Med Res Opin. 2010;26:1485-96 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the study population was not randomly selected but chosen at the discretion of the investigator, and patients did not maintain therapeutic levels of their mood stabiliser consistently. ..
- Hidalgo Mazzei D, Mateu A, Reinares M, Undurraga J, BonnÃn C, SÃ¡nchez Moreno J, et al. Self-monitoring and psychoeducation in bipolar patients with a smart-phone application (SIMPLe) project: design, development and studies protocols. BMC Psychiatry. 2015;15:52 pubmed publisher..Clinical Trials.gov: NCT02258711 (October 2014). ..
- Vieta E, Suppes T. Bipolar II disorder: arguments for and against a distinct diagnostic entity. Bipolar Disord. 2008;10:163-78 pubmed publisher..Bipolar II disorder is supported as a distinct category within mood disorders, but the definition and boundaries deserve a greater clarification in the DSM-V and ICD-11. ..
- Vieta E, Reinares M, Corbella B, Benabarre A, Gilaberte I, Colom F, et al. Olanzapine as long-term adjunctive therapy in treatment-resistant bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2001;21:469-73 pubmed..These results suggest mood-stablizing properties of olanzapine. ..
- Bonnin C, Torrent C, Arango C, Amann B, Sole B, Gonzalez Pinto A, et al. Functional remediation in bipolar disorder: 1-year follow-up of neurocognitive and functional outcome. Br J Psychiatry. 2016;208:87-93 pubmed publisher..071, d.f. = 2, P = 0.049). Improvement in psychosocial functioning is maintained after 1-year follow-up in patients with bipolar disorder receiving functional remediation. ..
- Hidalgo Mazzei D, Undurraga J, Reinares M, BonnÃn C, SÃ¡ez C, Mur M, et al. The real world cost and health resource utilization associated to manic episodes: The MANACOR study. Rev Psiquiatr Salud Ment. 2015;8:55-64 pubmed publisher..Poor baseline functioning predicted high costs, indicating the importance of functional assessment in bipolar disorder. ..
- Vieta E. The treatment of mixed states and the risk of switching to depression. Eur Psychiatry. 2005;20:96-100 pubmed
- Vieta E, Goikolea J. Atypical antipsychotics: newer options for mania and maintenance therapy. Bipolar Disord. 2005;7 Suppl 4:21-33 pubmed..A brief assessment of tolerability issues surrounding the use of atypical agents in bipolar disorder and other aspects of treatment that have impact on the clinical effectiveness of the therapy are considered. ..
- Vieta E, Cruz N, Garcia Campayo J, de Arce R, Manuel Crespo J, Vallès V, et al. A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled prophylaxis trial of oxcarbazepine as adjunctive treatment to lithium in the long-term treatment of bipolar I and II disorder. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2008;11:445-52 pubmed publisher
- Grande I, Hidalgo Mazzei D, Nieto E, Mur M, SÃ ez C, Forcada I, et al. Asenapine prescribing patterns in the treatment of manic in- and outpatients: Results from the MANACOR study. Eur Psychiatry. 2015;30:528-34 pubmed publisher..Treatment with adjunctive asenapine was not associated with higher costs when compared to other options. ..
- SolÃ© B, JimÃ©nez E, Martinez Aran A, Vieta E. Cognition as a target in major depression: new developments. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015;25:231-47 pubmed publisher..Drugs and therapies targeting cognitive dysfunction in MDD should prove effective in improving specific cognitive domains and functioning, while ruling out pseudospecificity. ..
- Ott C, Bjertrup A, Jensen J, Ullum H, SjÃ¦lland R, Purdon S, et al. Screening for cognitive dysfunction in unipolar depression: Validation and evaluation of objective and subjective tools. J Affect Disord. 2016;190:607-615 pubmed publisher..3, p=0.05). A modest sample size. The SCIP-D and COBRA are valid measures of objective and subjective cognitive impairment, respectively, and should ideally be implemented together in the screening for cognitive dysfunction in UD. ..
- Vieta E, Durgam S, Lu K, Ruth A, Debelle M, Zukin S. Effect of cariprazine across the symptoms of mania in bipolar I disorder: Analyses of pooled data from phase II/III trials. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015;25:1882-91 pubmed publisher..05), respectively. Results suggest that cariprazine treatment improved mania across YMRS symptoms; a significant percentage of cariprazine- versus placebo-treated patients had mild/no symptoms at the end of treatment. ..
- Apóstolo J, Holland C, O Connell M, Feeney J, Tabares Seisdedos R, Tadros G, et al. Mild cognitive decline. A position statement of the Cognitive Decline Group of the European Innovation Partnership for Active and Healthy Ageing (EIPAHA). Maturitas. 2016;83:83-93 pubmed publisher..Strategies for effective management suffer from the same limitation, since most studies have focused on dementia. Behavioural changes may represent the most cost-effective approach. ..
- Grande I, Sanchez Moreno J, Sole B, Jimenez E, Torrent C, Bonnin C, et al. High cognitive reserve in bipolar disorders as a moderator of neurocognitive impairment. J Affect Disord. 2017;208:621-627 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the small size of the sample may have limited some results. High cognitive reserve may therefore be a valuable construct to explore for predicting neurocognitive performance in patients with BD regarding premorbid status. ..
- Sanchez Moreno J, Martinez Aran A, Vieta E. Treatment of Functional Impairment in Patients with Bipolar Disorder. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2017;19:3 pubmed publisher..The combination of cognitive enhancers and cognitive/functional remediation programs may help in improving cognitive and functional impairments. Early interventions are essential to prevent cognitive deficits and disability. ..
- Salagre E, SolÃ© B, Tomioka Y, Fernandes B, Hidalgo Mazzei D, Garriga M, et al. Treatment of neurocognitive symptoms in unipolar depression: A systematic review and future perspectives. J Affect Disord. 2017;221:205-221 pubmed publisher..Current evidence is not sufficient to widely recommend the use of procognitive treatments in MDD although promising results are coming to light. ..
- Vieta E, Azorin J, Bauer M, Frangou S, Perugi G, Martinez G, et al. Psychiatrists' perceptions of potential reasons for non- and partial adherence to medication: results of a survey in bipolar disorder from eight European countries. J Affect Disord. 2012;143:125-30 pubmed publisher..There is a need for increased knowledge concerning partial/non-adherence at the level of the clinician-patient interaction, to reduce its impact and bring about improved clinical outcomes. ..
- Vieta E, de Arce R, Jimenez Arriero M, Rodriguez A, Balanzá V, Cobaleda S. Detection of subclinical depression in bipolar disorder: a cross-sectional, 4-month prospective follow-up study at community mental health services (SIN-DEPRES). J Clin Psychiatry. 2010;71:1465-74 pubmed publisher..9%. Depressive symptoms in apparently remitted bipolar disorder outpatients are not rare and result in a decline in occupational outcome and social maladjustment. ..
- Varo C, Jimenez E, SolÃ© B, BonnÃn C, Torrent C, Valls E, et al. Social cognition in bipolar disorder: Focus on emotional intelligence. J Affect Disord. 2017;217:210-217 pubmed publisher..The identification of different profiles of SC may help guide specific interventions for distinct patient subgroups aimed at improving social cognition, neurocognitive performance and psychosocial functioning. ..
- Hidalgo Mazzei D, Reinares M, Mateu A, Juruena M, Young A, PÃ©rez Sola V, et al. Is a SIMPLe smartphone application capable of improving biological rhythms in bipolar disorder?. J Affect Disord. 2017;223:10-16 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that there are potential positive effects of a psychoeducational smartphone application as an adjunctive to treatment as usual on BD patients' BR. ..
- Salagre E, Grande I, Sole B, Sanchez Moreno J, Vieta E. Vortioxetine: A new alternative for the treatment of major depressive disorder. Rev Psiquiatr Salud Ment. 2017;: pubmed publisher..The aim of this systematic review is to describe the pharmacology, clinical efficacy and safety profile of vortioxetine, as well as its potential effectiveness in improving cognitive symptoms. ..
- Jiménez E, Arias B, Mitjans M, Goikolea J, Roda E, Ruiz V, et al. Association between GSK3? gene and increased impulsivity in bipolar disorder. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2014;24:510-8 pubmed publisher..These results were also confirmed by haplotype analysis. Our results suggest that genetic variability at GSK3? gene is associated to increased impulsivity in bipolar patients. ..
- Vieta E, Rosa A. Evolving trends in the long-term treatment of bipolar disorder. World J Biol Psychiatry. 2007;8:4-11 pubmed..The role of psychoeducation in improving adherence to medication in long-term treatment and overall patient outcomes is also crucial...
- Vieta E, Montes J. A Review of Asenapine in the Treatment of Bipolar Disorder. Clin Drug Investig. 2018;38:87-99 pubmed publisher..In one study, asenapine has been shown to improve health-related quality of life. Economic analyses indicate that the use of asenapine can, over time, lead to a reduction in the costs of treatment. ..
- Garriga M, Solé E, Gonzalez Pinto A, Selva Vera G, Arranz B, Amann B, et al. Efficacy of quetiapine XR vs. placebo as concomitant treatment to mood stabilizers in the control of subthreshold symptoms of bipolar disorder: Results from a pilot, randomized controlled trial. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2017;27:959-969 pubmed publisher..8%). Quetiapine XR 300mg once daily was significantly more effective than placebo in depressive subthreshold symptoms. Adverse events were consistent with the known side effects of quetiapine. ..
- Vieta E, Loft H, Florea I. Effectiveness of long-term vortioxetine treatment of patients with major depressive disorder. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2017;27:877-884 pubmed publisher..The most commonly reported adverse event during the maintenance period was nausea. ..
- Sanchez Moreno J, Bonnín C, Gonzalez Pinto A, Amann B, Sole B, Balanzá Martínez V, et al. Do patients with bipolar disorder and subsyndromal symptoms benefit from functional remediation? A 12-month follow-up study. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2017;27:350-359 pubmed publisher..57; p=0.18) and YMRS scores (F=1.51; p=0.20). Bipolar patients with subsyndromal symptoms improve their functional outcome when exposed to functional remediation regardless of the persistence of mood symptomatology. ..
- Miskowiak K, Carvalho A, Vieta E, Kessing L. Cognitive enhancement treatments for bipolar disorder: A systematic review and methodological recommendations. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2016;26:1541-61 pubmed publisher..Future implementation of a 'neurocircuitry-based' biomarker model to evaluate neural target engagement is warranted. ..
- Pacchiarotti I, León Caballero J, Murru A, Verdolini N, Furio M, Pancheri C, et al. Mood stabilizers and antipsychotics during breastfeeding: Focus on bipolar disorder. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2016;26:1562-78 pubmed publisher..Clozapine and amisulpiride are currently contraindicated. Long-term outcome studies evaluating the infant?s health and psychosocial and cognitive functioning are needed. ..