Jose L Quiles
Affiliation: University of Granada
- Varela Lopez A, Bullon P, Battino M, Ramirez Tortosa M, Ochoa J, Cordero M, et al. Coenzyme Q Protects Against Age-Related Alveolar Bone Loss Associated to n-6 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Rich-Diets by Modulating Mitochondrial Mechanisms. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016;71:593-600 pubmed publisher
- Quiles J, Huertas J, Battino M, Mataix J, Ramirez Tortosa M. Antioxidant nutrients and adriamycin toxicity. Toxicology. 2002;180:79-95 pubmed
- Quiles J, Ochoa J, Ramirez Tortosa M, Huertas J, Mataix J. Age-related mitochondrial DNA deletion in rat liver depends on dietary fat unsaturation. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006;61:107-14 pubmed..Results suggest that the age-related increase of the relative amount of deleted mtDNA depends on fat unsaturation. Moreover, the studied mtDNA deletion was correlated with mitochondrial oxidative stress and ultrastructural alterations. ..
- Forbes HernÃ¡ndez T, Giampieri F, Gasparrini M, Afrin S, Mazzoni L, Cordero M, et al. Lipid Accumulation in HepG2 Cells Is Attenuated by Strawberry Extract through AMPK Activation. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..The observed results were counteracted by treatment with compound C, an AMPK pharmacological inhibitor, confirming that multiple effects of strawberries on lipid metabolism are mediated by the activation of this protein. ..
- Afrin S, Forbes Hernández T, Gasparrini M, Bompadre S, Quiles J, Sanna G, et al. Strawberry-Tree Honey Induces Growth Inhibition of Human Colon Cancer Cells and Increases ROS Generation: A Comparison with Manuka Honey. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..These preliminary results are interesting and suggest a potential chemopreventive action which could be useful for further studies in order to develop chemopreventive agents for colon cancer. ..
- Varela Lopez A, Giampieri F, Bullon P, Battino M, Quiles J. Role of Lipids in the Onset, Progression and Treatment of Periodontal Disease. A Systematic Review of Studies in Humans. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..On the other hand, saturated fat-rich diets increase oxidative stress as well the as intensity and duration of inflammatory processes, so they must be avoided. ..
- Varela Lopez A, Giampieri F, Battino M, Quiles J. Coenzyme Q and Its Role in the Dietary Therapy against Aging. Molecules. 2016;21:373 pubmed publisher..In this context, the present review focus on the current knowledge and evidence the roles of CoQ cells, its relationship with aging, and possible implications of dietary CoQ in relation to aging, lifespan or age-related diseases. ..
- Afrin S, Giampieri F, Gasparrini M, Forbes Hernández T, Varela LÃ³pez A, Quiles J, et al. Chemopreventive and Therapeutic Effects of Edible Berries: A Focus on Colon Cancer Prevention and Treatment. Molecules. 2016;21:169 pubmed publisher..Thus, this review could be a useful step towards the next phase of berry research in colon cancer. ..
- Varela LÃ³pez A, Quiles J, Cordero M, Giampieri F, BullÃ³n P. Oxidative Stress and Dietary Fat Type in Relation to Periodontal Disease. Antioxidants (Basel). 2015;4:322-44 pubmed publisher..Maybe in the future, we should analyze the diet and provide some advice to periodontitis patients to improve treatment outcomes. ..
- Giampieri F, Alvarez Suarez J, Mazzoni L, Forbes Hernández T, Gasparrini M, González Paramás A, et al. Polyphenol-rich strawberry extract protects human dermal fibroblasts against hydrogen peroxide oxidative damage and improves mitochondrial functionality. Molecules. 2014;19:7798-816 pubmed publisher..These findings confirm that strawberries possess antioxidant properties and provide new insights into the beneficial role of strawberry bioactive compounds on protecting skin from oxidative stress and aging. ..
- Varela Lopez A, Giampieri F, Bullon P, Battino M, Quiles J. A Systematic Review on the Implication of Minerals in the Onset, Severity and Treatment of Periodontal Disease. Molecules. 2016;21: pubmed publisher..Lastly, some observations suggest that all those minerals with roles in immune and/or antioxidant systems should be considered in future research. ..
- Gasparrini M, Forbes Hernández T, Giampieri F, Afrin S, Mezzetti B, Quiles J, et al. Protective Effect of Strawberry Extract against Inflammatory Stress Induced in Human Dermal Fibroblasts. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..This work showed for the first time the potential health benefits of strawberry extract against inflammatory and oxidative stress in LPS-treated human dermal fibroblast cells. ..
- Varela Lopez A, Ochoa J, Llamas Elvira J, Lopez Frias M, Planells E, Ramirez Tortosa M, et al. Age-Related Loss in Bone Mineral Density of Rats Fed Lifelong on a Fish Oil-Based Diet Is Avoided by Coenzyme Q10 Addition. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Reduced oxidative stress associated to CoQ10 supplementation of this n-3 PUFA-rich diet might explain the higher BMD found in aged rats in this group of animals. ..
- Franceschelli S, Pesce M, Ferrone A, Gatta D, Patruno A, Lutiis M, et al. Biological Effect of Licochalcone C on the Regulation of PI3K/Akt/eNOS and NF-?B/iNOS/NO Signaling Pathways in H9c2 Cells in Response to LPS Stimulation. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that LicoC plays a pivotal role in cardiac dysfunction in sepsis-induced inflammation. ..
- Forbes HernÃ¡ndez T, Gasparrini M, Afrin S, Cianciosi D, GonzÃ¡lez ParamÃ¡s A, Santos Buelga C, et al. Strawberry (cv. Romina) Methanolic Extract and Anthocyanin-Enriched Fraction Improve Lipid Profile and Antioxidant Status in HepG2 Cells. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..The observed effects were more pronounced for the anthocyanin-enriched fraction. ..
- Varela Lopez A, Pérez López M, Ramirez Tortosa C, Battino M, Granados Principal S, Ramirez Tortosa M, et al. Gene pathways associated with mitochondrial function, oxidative stress and telomere length are differentially expressed in the liver of rats fed lifelong on virgin olive, sunflower or fish oils. J Nutr Biochem. 2017;52:36-44 pubmed publisher..Sunflower oil avoided gene expression changes related to age. According to the results, virgin olive oil might be considered the dietary fat source that best preserves the liver during the aging process...
- Quiles J, Pamplona R, Ramirez Tortosa M, Naudi A, Portero Otin M, Araujo Nepomuceno E, et al. Coenzyme Q addition to an n-6 PUFA-rich diet resembles benefits on age-related mitochondrial DNA deletion and oxidative stress of a MUFA-rich diet in rat heart. Mech Ageing Dev. 2010;131:38-47 pubmed publisher..Moreover, under our experimental conditions, lipid-derived oxidative damage appears to be more important than the pure protein-derived oxidative damage during aging...