Affiliation: University of Navarra
- Pio R, Blanco D, Pajares M, Aibar E, Durany O, Ezponda T, et al. Development of a novel splice array platform and its application in the identification of alternative splice variants in lung cancer. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:352 pubmed publisher..This methodology enables the detection of alternative splicing events in complex biological samples, providing a powerful tool to identify novel diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers for cancer and other pathologies. ..
- Aramburu A, Zudaire I, Pajares M, Agorreta J, Orta A, Lozano M, et al. Combined clinical and genomic signatures for the prognosis of early stage non-small cell lung cancer based on gene copy number alterations. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:752 pubmed publisher..Using it, we found new prognostic scores based on tumor DNA that, jointly with clinical information, are able to predict overall survival (OS) in patients with early-stage ADC and SCC. ..
- Ajona D, Zandueta C, Corrales L, Moreno H, Pajares M, Ortiz Espinosa S, et al. Blockade of the Complement C5a/C5aR1 Axis Impairs Lung Cancer Bone Metastasis by CXCL16-mediated Effects. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2018;: pubmed publisher..This study unveils the role played by the C5a/C5aR1 axis in lung cancer dissemination, and supports its potential use as a novel therapeutic target. ..
- Berraondo P, Minute L, Ajona D, Corrales L, Melero I, Pio R. Innate immune mediators in cancer: between defense and resistance. Immunol Rev. 2016;274:290-306 pubmed publisher....
- Pio R, Elsasser T, Martinez A, Cuttitta F. Identification, characterization, and physiological actions of factor H as an adrenomedullin binding protein present in human plasma. Microsc Res Tech. 2002;57:23-7 pubmed..The elucidation of the mechanisms that modulate AM activity will be necessary for the understanding of the role of AM in normal and pathological conditions. ..
- Pio R, Zudaire I, Pino I, Castaño Z, Zabalegui N, Vicent S, et al. Alpha CP-4, encoded by a putative tumor suppressor gene at 3p21, but not its alternative splice variant alpha CP-4a, is underexpressed in lung cancer. Cancer Res. 2004;64:4171-9 pubmed..Finally, induction of alpha CP-4 expression reduced cell growth, in agreement with its proposed role as a tumor suppressor, and suggesting an association of this RNA-binding protein with lung carcinogenesis. ..
- de Miguel F, Pajares M, Martínez Terroba E, Ajona D, Morales X, Sharma R, et al. A large-scale analysis of alternative splicing reveals a key role of QKI in lung cancer. Mol Oncol. 2016;10:1437-1449 pubmed publisher..11-5.46, P = 0.026). In conclusion, we identified several splicing variants with functional relevance in lung cancer largely regulated by the splicing factor QKI, a tumor suppressor associated with prognosis in lung cancer. ..
- Ajona D, Ortiz Espinosa S, Moreno H, Lozano T, Pajares M, Agorreta J, et al. A Combined PD-1/C5a Blockade Synergistically Protects against Lung Cancer Growth and Metastasis. Cancer Discov. 2017;7:694-703 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Discov; 7(7); 694-703. ©2017 AACR.This article is highlighted in the In This Issue feature, p. 653. ..
- Ajona D, Ortiz Espinosa S, Pio R. Complement anaphylatoxins C3a and C5a: emerging roles in cancer progression and treatment. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2017;: pubmed publisher....