J A Martinez
Affiliation: University of Navarra
- Galarregui C, Zulet M, Cantero I, Marín Alejandre B, Monreal J, Elorz M, et al. Interplay of Glycemic Index, Glycemic Load, and Dietary Antioxidant Capacity with Insulin Resistance in Subjects with a Cardiometabolic Risk Profile. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19: pubmed publisher..This data reinforces the concept that dietary TAC, GI, and GL are potential markers of diet quality, which have an impact on the susceptible population with a cardiometabolic risk profile. ..
- Cano Ibáñez N, Bueno Cavanillas A, Martinez Gonzalez M, Corella D, Salas Salvado J, Zomeño M, et al. Dietary Intake in Population with Metabolic Syndrome: Is the Prevalence of Inadequate Intake Influenced by Geographical Area? Cross-Sectional Analysis from PREDIMED-Plus Study. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..001). Sex (women), non-smoker and physical activity were also associated to adequate nutrient intake. Geographical area influences nutrient intakes. Its effect on dietary quality should be taken into account when planning food policies. ..
- Sayon Orea C, Santiago S, Bes Rastrollo M, Martinez Gonzalez M, Pastor M, Moreno Aliaga M, et al. Determinants of Self-Rated Health Perception in a Sample of a Physically Active Population: PLENUFAR VI Study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018;15: pubmed publisher..Activities like jogging, gymnastics, biking, and track and field, and a higher consumption of fruits, vegetables and fish, were associated with better health rated perception. ..
- Milton Laskibar I, Aguirre L, Etxeberria U, Milagro F, Martinez J, Portillo M. Do the Effects of Resveratrol on Thermogenic and Oxidative Capacities in IBAT and Skeletal Muscle Depend on Feeding Conditions?. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..In this tissue, resveratrol increased oxidative capacity. The combination of resveratrol and energy restriction seemingly did not improve the effects induced by the polyphenol alone. ..
- Janeiro M, Ramirez M, Milagro F, Martinez J, Solas M. Implication of Trimethylamine N-Oxide (TMAO) in Disease: Potential Biomarker or New Therapeutic Target. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..Finally, the potential utility of TMAO as therapeutic target is also analyzed. ..
- Barbosa K, Volp A, Marques Rocha J, Ribeiro S, Navarro Blasco I, Zulet M, et al. Low energy and carbohydrate intake associated with higher total antioxidant capacity in apparently healthy adults. Nutrition. 2014;30:1349-54 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the plasma TAC increase may be able to act as a compensatory mechanism. ..
- Cuervo M, Sayon Orea C, Santiago S, MartÃnez J. Dietary and health profiles of Spanish women in preconception, pregnancy and lactation. Nutrients. 2014;6:4434-51 pubmed publisher..This information might be useful in order to implement educational programs for each population group. ..
- Romo Hualde A, Huerta A, González Navarro C, Ramos Lopez O, Moreno Aliaga M, Martinez J. Untargeted metabolomic on urine samples after ?-lipoic acid and/or eicosapentaenoic acid supplementation in healthy overweight/obese women. Lipids Health Dis. 2018;17:103 pubmed publisher..Clinicaltrials.gov NCT01138774 . ..
- Cordero P, Milagro F, Campion J, Martinez J. Maternal methyl donors supplementation during lactation prevents the hyperhomocysteinemia induced by a high-fat-sucrose intake by dams. Int J Mol Sci. 2013;14:24422-37 pubmed publisher..Maternal dietary intake also affected hepatic DNA methylation metabolism, which could be linked with the regulation of the methionine-homocysteine cycle. ..
- Ibero Baraibar I, Azqueta A, López de Ceráin A, Martinez J, Zulet M. Assessment of DNA damage using comet assay in middle-aged overweight/obese subjects after following a hypocaloric diet supplemented with cocoa extract. Mutagenesis. 2015;30:139-46 pubmed publisher..www.clinicaltrials.gov (NCT01596309). ..
- Nicoletti C, Nonino C, de Oliveira B, Pinhel M, Mansego M, Milagro F, et al. DNA Methylation and Hydroxymethylation Levels in Relation to Two Weight Loss Strategies: Energy-Restricted Diet or Bariatric Surgery. Obes Surg. 2016;26:603-11 pubmed publisher..Depending on the obesity treatment (diet or surgery), the DNA methylation patterns behave differently. Baseline SERPINE-1 methylation may be a predictor of weight loss values after bariatric surgery. ..
- Etxeberria U, Castilla Madrigal R, Lostao M, MartÃnez J, Milagro F. Trans-resveratrol induces a potential anti-lipogenic effect in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated enterocytes. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2015;61:9-16 pubmed..This study envisages that trans-resveratrol might exert an important anti-lipogenic effect at intestinal level under pro-inflammatory conditions, which has not been previously described. ..
- Ramos Lopez O, Samblas M, Milagro F, Zulet M, Mansego M, Riezu Boj J, et al. Association of low dietary folate intake with lower CAMKK2 gene methylation, adiposity, and insulin resistance in obese subjects. Nutr Res. 2018;50:53-62 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, CAMKK2 expression directly correlated with HOMA-IR values. In summary, this study suggests associations between low folate intakes, lower CAMKK2 gene methylation, and insulin resistance in obese individuals. ..
- GoÃ±i L, Cuervo M, Santiago S, Zazpe I, MartÃnez J. Parity implications for anthropometrical variables, lifestyle behaviors and dietary habits in pregnant women. An Sist Sanit Navar. 2014;37:349-62 pubmed
- Malafarina V, Reginster J, Cabrerizo S, Bruyere O, Kanis J, Martinez J, et al. Nutritional Status and Nutritional Treatment Are Related to Outcomes and Mortality in Older Adults with Hip Fracture. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..To conclude, in older people, the prevention of malnutrition and an early nutritional intervention can improve recovery following a hip fracture. ..
- Marques Rocha J, Milagro F, Mansego M, Zulet M, Bressan J, MartÃnez J. Expression of inflammation-related miRNAs in white blood cells from subjects with metabolic syndrome after 8 wk of following a Mediterranean diet-based weight loss program. Nutrition. 2016;32:48-55 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the quality of the diet has an important effect on the miRNAs expression changes. These results should be highlighted because these miRNAs have been associated with inflammatory gene regulation and important human diseases. ..
- San Cristobal R, Navas Carretero S, Celis Morales C, Brennan L, Walsh M, Lovegrove J, et al. Analysis of Dietary Pattern Impact on Weight Status for Personalised Nutrition through On-Line Advice: The Food4Me Spanish Cohort. Nutrients. 2015;7:9523-37 pubmed publisher..Further analysis showed that prevention of overweight must focus on limiting the intake of known deleterious foods rather than exclusively enhance healthy products. ..
- Etxeberria U, Arias N, BoquÃ© N, Romo Hualde A, Macarulla M, Portillo M, et al. Metabolic faecal fingerprinting of trans-resveratrol and quercetin following a high-fat sucrose dietary model using liquid chromatography coupled to high-resolution mass spectrometry. Food Funct. 2015;6:2758-67 pubmed publisher
- Garcia Arellano A, Ramallal R, Ruiz Canela M, Salas SalvadÃ³ J, Corella D, Shivappa N, et al. Dietary Inflammatory Index and Incidence of Cardiovascular Disease in the PREDIMED Study. Nutrients. 2015;7:4124-38 pubmed publisher..22 (1.06-1.40). Our results provide direct prospective evidence that a pro-inflammatory diet is associated with a higher risk of cardiovascular clinical events. ..
- Ibero Baraibar I, Navas Carretero S, Abete I, Martinez J, Zulet M. Increases in plasma 25(OH)D levels are related to improvements in body composition and blood pressure in middle-aged subjects after a weight loss intervention: Longitudinal study. Clin Nutr. 2015;34:1010-7 pubmed publisher..Therefore, 25(OH)D assessment is a potential marker to be accounted in metabolic measures related to blood pressure, adiposity and inflammation in obesity management. www.clinicaltrials.gov (NCT01596309). ..
- Møller G, Rikardt Andersen J, Ritz C, P Silvestre M, Navas Carretero S, Jalo E, et al. Higher Protein Intake Is Not Associated with Decreased Kidney Function in Pre-Diabetic Older Adults Following a One-Year Intervention-A Preview Sub-Study. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..We found no indication of impaired kidney function after one year with a higher protein intake in pre-diabetic older adults. ..
- Ramos Lopez O, Riezu Boj J, Milagro F, Goni L, Cuervo M, Martinez J. Differential lipid metabolism outcomes associated with ADRB2 gene polymorphisms in response to two dietary interventions in overweight/obese subjects. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2018;28:165-172 pubmed publisher..An energy-restricted LF diet could be more beneficial than a MHP diet to reduce serum cholesterol, LDL-c, and non-HDL-c among Gly16Gly genotype carriers. CLINICALTRIALS.GOV: Identifier: NCT02737267. ..
- Samblas M, Milagro F, GÃ³mez AbellÃ¡n P, MartÃnez J, Garaulet M. Methylation on the Circadian Gene BMAL1 Is Associated with the Effects of a Weight Loss Intervention on Serum Lipid Levels. J Biol Rhythms. 2016;31:308-17 pubmed publisher..05). This research describes apparently for the first time an association between changes in the methylation of the BMAL1 gene with the intervention and the effects of a weight loss intervention on blood lipids levels. ..
- Ibero Baraibar I, Perez Cornago A, Ramirez M, MartÃnez J, Zulet M. An Increase in Plasma Homovanillic Acid with Cocoa Extract Consumption Is Associated with the Alleviation of Depressive Symptoms in Overweight or Obese Adults on an Energy Restricted Diet in a Randomized Controlled Trial. J Nutr. 2016;: pubmed..The present results are secondary analyses of a clinical trial that was registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01596309. ..
- Fallaize R, Livingstone K, Celis Morales C, Macready A, San Cristobal R, Navas Carretero S, et al. Association between Diet-Quality Scores, Adiposity, Total Cholesterol and Markers of Nutritional Status in European Adults: Findings from the Food4Me Study. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..05). We observed no association between DQS and TC. To conclude, higher DQS, which reflect better dietary patterns, were associated with markers of better nutritional status and metabolic health. ..
- Goni L, Cuervo M, Milagro F, MartÃnez J. Future Perspectives of Personalized Weight Loss Interventions Based on Nutrigenetic, Epigenetic, and Metagenomic Data. J Nutr. 2016;: pubmed..The integration of nutrigenetic, epigenetic, and metagenomic data may lead to the design of more personalized dietary treatments to prevent chronic diseases and to optimize the individual's response to dietary interventions. ..
- Goni L, Cuervo M, Milagro F, MartÃnez J. Influence of fat intake and BMI on the association of rs1799983 NOS3 polymorphism with blood pressure levels in an Iberian population. Eur J Nutr. 2017;56:1589-1596 pubmed publisher..The present study evidenced that rs1799983 NOS3 polymorphism could be associated with hypertension and DBP among Southern Europeans, being this association influenced by dietary fat (SFA and MUFA) and body mass index. ..
- GarcÃa CalzÃ³n S, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, Razquin C, ArÃ³s F, Lapetra J, MartÃnez J, et al. Mediterranean diet and telomere length in high cardiovascular risk subjects from the PREDIMED-NAVARRA study. Clin Nutr. 2016;35:1399-1405 pubmed publisher..No beneficial effect of the intervention with the MeDiet for the prevention of telomere shortening in comparison with a low-fat diet was observed. ..
- de la Iglesia R, Loria Kohen V, Zulet M, Martinez J, Reglero G, Ramirez de Molina A. Dietary Strategies Implicated in the Prevention and Treatment of Metabolic Syndrome. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed..The present review summarizes some of the most relevant dietary approaches and bioactive compounds employed in the treatment of the MetS to date. ..
- Andriessen C, Christensen P, Vestergaard Nielsen L, Ritz C, Astrup A, Meinert Larsen T, et al. Weight loss decreases self-reported appetite and alters food preferences in overweight and obese adults: Observational data from the DiOGenes study. Appetite. 2018;125:314-322 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that LCD induced weight loss decreases the appetite perceptions of overweight volunteers whilst decreasing their preference for high-fat-, high-carbohydrate-, and low-energy products. ..
- Ramos Lopez O, Riezu Boj J, Milagro F, Goni L, Cuervo M, Martinez J. Association of the Gly482Ser PPARGC1A gene variant with different cholesterol outcomes in response to two energy-restricted diets in subjects with excessive weight. Nutrition. 2018;47:83-89 pubmed publisher..The analysis of this genetic variant might be the basis for a precise, nutrigenetic management of hypercholesterolemia based on genetic makeup. ..
- Arpón A, Milagro F, Razquin C, Corella D, Estruch R, Fito M, et al. Impact of Consuming Extra-Virgin Olive Oil or Nuts within a Mediterranean Diet on DNA Methylation in Peripheral White Blood Cells within the PREDIMED-Navarra Randomized Controlled Trial: A Role for Dietary Lipids. Nutrients. 2017;10: pubmed publisher
- Cantero I, Abete I, Monreal J, Martinez J, Zulet M. Fruit Fiber Consumption Specifically Improves Liver Health Status in Obese Subjects under Energy Restriction. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..These results support the design of dietary patterns based on the consumption of insoluble fiber and fiber from fruits in the context of energy restriction for the management of obese patients suffering fatty liver disease. ..
- ArpÃ³n A, Riezu Boj J, Milagro F, Marti A, Razquin C, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, et al. Adherence to Mediterranean diet is associated with methylation changes in inflammation-related genes in peripheral blood cells. J Physiol Biochem. 2016;73:445-455 pubmed publisher..This report is apparently the first showing that adherence to MedDiet is associated with the methylation of the reported genes related to inflammation with a potential regulatory impact. ..
- Fito M, Melander O, Martinez J, Toledo E, Carpene C, Corella D. Advances in Integrating Traditional and Omic Biomarkers When Analyzing the Effects of the Mediterranean Diet Intervention in Cardiovascular Prevention. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, these preliminary results can help to better understand the inter-individual differences in cardiovascular risk and dietary response for further applications in personalized nutrition. ..
- van Baak M, Larsen T, Jebb S, Martinez A, Saris W, Handjieva Darlenska T, et al. Dietary Intake of Protein from Different Sources and Weight Regain, Changes in Body Composition and Cardiometabolic Risk Factors after Weight Loss: The DIOGenes Study. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..This analysis suggests that not only the amount of dietary proteins, but also the source may be important for weight and cardiometabolic risk management. However, randomized trials are needed to test the causality of these associations. ..
- San Cristobal R, Navas Carretero S, Livingstone K, Celis Morales C, Macready A, Fallaize R, et al. Mediterranean Diet Adherence and Genetic Background Roles within a Web-Based Nutritional Intervention: The Food4Me Study. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..These results suggest that a higher MedDiet adherence induces beneficial effects on metabolic outcomes, which can be affected by the genetic background in some specific markers. ..
- Ramos Lopez O, Arpón A, Riezu Boj J, Milagro F, Mansego M, Martinez J. DNA methylation patterns at sweet taste transducing genes are associated with BMI and carbohydrate intake in an adult population. Appetite. 2018;120:230-239 pubmed publisher..0001) and carbohydrate intakes (p < 0.0001). This study suggests that methylation in genes related to sweet taste could be an epigenetic mechanism associated with obesity. ..
- EscotÃ© X, GÃ³mez Zorita S, LÃ³pez Yoldi M, Milton Laskibar I, FernÃ¡ndez Quintela A, MartÃnez J, et al. Role of Omentin, Vaspin, Cardiotrophin-1, TWEAK and NOV/CCN3 in Obesity and Diabetes Development. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Finally, a strong correlation has been found between plasma NOV/CCN3 concentration and fat mass. This adipokine improves insulin actions. ..
- Goni L, Qi L, Cuervo M, Milagro F, Saris W, Macdonald I, et al. Effect of the interaction between diet composition and the PPM1K genetic variant on insulin resistance and ? cell function markers during weight loss: results from the Nutrient Gene Interactions in Human Obesity: implications for dietary guidelines (. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;106:902-908 pubmed publisher..This trial was registered at controlled-trials.com as ISRCTN25867281. ..
- Fogelholm M, Larsen T, Westerterp Plantenga M, Macdonald I, Martinez J, Boyadjieva N, et al. PREVIEW: Prevention of Diabetes through Lifestyle Intervention and Population Studies in Europe and around the World. Design, Methods, and Baseline Participant Description of an Adult Cohort Enrolled into a Three-Year Randomised Clinical Trial. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..PREVIEW is, to date, the largest multinational trial to address the prevention of T2D in pre-diabetic adults through diet and exercise intervention. Participants will complete the final intervention in March, 2018. ..
- Ramos Lopez O, Riezu Boj J, Milagro F, Martinez J. DNA methylation signatures at endoplasmic reticulum stress genes are associated with adiposity and insulin resistance. Mol Genet Metab. 2018;123:50-58 pubmed publisher..This study suggests associations of methylation signatures at ER stress genes with adiposity and insulin resistance, as revealed by discriminative pathway analyses. ..
- Santiago S, SayÃ³n Orea C, Babio N, Ruiz Canela M, MartÃ A, Corella D, et al. Yogurt consumption and abdominal obesity reversion in the PREDIMED study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2016;26:468-75 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to prospectively evaluate the association between yogurt consumption, reversion of abdominal obesity status and waist circumference change in elderly...