Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Valencia
- Garcia Arellano A, Ramallal R, Ruiz Canela M, Salas SalvadÃ³ J, Corella D, Shivappa N, et al. Dietary Inflammatory Index and Incidence of Cardiovascular Disease in the PREDIMED Study. Nutrients. 2015;7:4124-38 pubmed publisher..22 (1.06-1.40). Our results provide direct prospective evidence that a pro-inflammatory diet is associated with a higher risk of cardiovascular clinical events. ..
- SÃ¡nchez Tainta A, Zazpe I, Bes Rastrollo M, Salas SalvadÃ³ J, Bullo M, SorlÃ J, et al. Nutritional adequacy according to carbohydrates and fat quality. Eur J Nutr. 2016;55:93-106 pubmed publisher..A multidimensional assessment of CQI can be a useful tool to evaluate the quality of carbohydrates. This score and a 14-item Med-diet score were positively related to overall micronutrient adequacy in elderly participants. ..
- Corella D, OrdovÃ¡s J. Biomarkers: background, classification and guidelines for applications in nutritional epidemiology. Nutr Hosp. 2015;31 Suppl 3:177-88 pubmed publisher..Revisaremos el estado actual de los biomarcadores en epidemiologÃa nutricional asÃ como las tendencias futuras de los nuevos biomarcadores Ã³micos. ..
- Quiles L, PortolÃ©s O, SorlÃ J, Corella D. [SHORT TERM EFFECTS ON LIPID PROFILE AND GLYCAEMIA OF A LOW-FAT VEGETARIAN DIET]. Nutr Hosp. 2015;32:156-64 pubmed publisher..TambiÃ©n produjo un descenso esperable de C-HDL al ser reducida en grasa. ..
- Corella D, Arnett D, Tucker K, Kabagambe E, Tsai M, Parnell L, et al. A high intake of saturated fatty acids strengthens the association between the fat mass and obesity-associated gene and BMI. J Nutr. 2011;141:2219-25 pubmed publisher..006 in BPRHS). No associations with BMI were found at lower SFA intakes. We found no significant interactions with carbohydrate intake. In conclusion, SFA intake modulates the association between FTO and BMI in American populations. ..
- Valderas Martínez P, Chiva Blanch G, Casas R, Arranz S, Martínez Huelamo M, Urpi Sarda M, et al. Tomato Sauce Enriched with Olive Oil Exerts Greater Effects on Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors than Raw Tomato and Tomato Sauce: A Randomized Trial. Nutrients. 2016;8:170 pubmed publisher..We concluded that tomato intake has beneficial effects on cardiovascular risk factors, especially cooked and enriched with oil. ..
- Arpón A, Milagro F, Razquin C, Corella D, Estruch R, Fito M, et al. Impact of Consuming Extra-Virgin Olive Oil or Nuts within a Mediterranean Diet on DNA Methylation in Peripheral White Blood Cells within the PREDIMED-Navarra Randomized Controlled Trial: A Role for Dietary Lipids. Nutrients. 2017;10: pubmed publisher
- Fito M, Melander O, Martinez J, Toledo E, Carpene C, Corella D. Advances in Integrating Traditional and Omic Biomarkers When Analyzing the Effects of the Mediterranean Diet Intervention in Cardiovascular Prevention. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, these preliminary results can help to better understand the inter-individual differences in cardiovascular risk and dietary response for further applications in personalized nutrition. ..
- Guo X, Tresserra Rimbau A, Estruch R, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, Medina RemÃ³n A, FitÃ³ M, et al. Polyphenol Levels Are Inversely Correlated with Body Weight and Obesity in an Elderly Population after 5 Years of Follow Up (The Randomised PREDIMED Study). Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..408; 95% CI: -0.788 to -0.028, p = 0.036) after adjustments for potential confounders. To conclude, a greater polyphenol intake may thus contribute to reducing body weight in elderly people at high cardiovascular risk. ..
- Barragán R, Coltell O, Asensio E, Frances F, Sorli J, Estruch R, et al. MicroRNAs and Drinking: Association between the Pre-miR-27a rs895819 Polymorphism and Alcohol Consumption in a Mediterranean Population. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we report for the first time a significant association between a miRNA polymorphism (rs895819) and daily alcohol consumption. ..
- GarcÃa Layana A, Ciufo G, Toledo E, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, Corella D, FitÃ³ M, et al. The Effect of a Mediterranean Diet on the Incidence of Cataract Surgery. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Further studies are necessary to investigate whether a MedDiet could have a preventive role in cataract surgery. ..
- Corella D, Coltell O, Sorli J, Estruch R, Quiles L, Martinez Gonzalez M, et al. Polymorphism of the Transcription Factor 7-Like 2 Gene (TCF7L2) Interacts with Obesity on Type-2 Diabetes in the PREDIMED Study Emphasizing the Heterogeneity of Genetic Variants in Type-2 Diabetes Risk Prediction: Time for Obesity-Specific Genetic Ri. Nutrients. 2016;8: pubmed..In conclusion, we provide strong evidence supporting the need for considering obesity when analyzing the TCF7L2 effects and propose the use of obesity-specific GRS for T2D. ..
- Corella D, Asensio E, Coltell O, SorlÃ J, Estruch R, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, et al. CLOCK gene variation is associated with incidence of type-2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases in type-2 diabetic subjects: dietary modulation in the PREDIMED randomized trial. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2016;15:4 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we report for the first time an association between a CLOCK polymorphism and stroke in T2D subjects, suggesting that core clock genes may significantly contribute to increased CVD risk in T2D. ..
- Corella D, Ordovas J. Basic Concepts in Molecular Biology Related to Genetics and Epigenetics. Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed). 2017;70:744-753 pubmed publisher..could alter the epigenome, resulting in healthy or unhealthy cardiovascular phenotypes. We discuss some gene-environment interactions and provide a methodological overview. ..
- Bargallo N, Gilabert R, Romero Mamani E, Cofan M, Calder P, Fito M, et al. Red Blood Cell Eicosapentaenoic Acid Inversely Relates to MRI-Assessed Carotid Plaque Lipid Core Burden in Elders at High Cardiovascular Risk. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..The inverse association between EPA and plaque lipid content in patients with advanced atherosclerosis supports the notion that this fatty acid might improve cardiovascular health through stabilization of advanced atheroma plaques. ..
- Zanon Moreno V, Ortega Azorín C, Asensio Marquez E, Garcia Medina J, Pinazo Duran M, Coltell O, et al. A Multi-Locus Genetic Risk Score for Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma (POAG) Variants Is Associated with POAG Risk in a Mediterranean Population: Inverse Correlations with Plasma Vitamin C and E Concentrations. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher
- Corella D, Carrasco P, Sorli J, Estruch R, Rico Sanz J, Martinez Gonzalez M, et al. Mediterranean diet reduces the adverse effect of the TCF7L2-rs7903146 polymorphism on cardiovascular risk factors and stroke incidence: a randomized controlled trial in a high-cardiovascular-risk population. Diabetes Care. 2013;36:3803-11 pubmed publisher..96 [95% CI 0.49-1.87]; P = 0.892 for TT compared with CC). Our novel results suggest that MedDiet may not only reduce increased fasting glucose and lipids in TT individuals, but also stroke incidence. ..
- Corella D, Ortega Azorín C, Sorli J, Covas M, Carrasco P, Salas Salvado J, et al. Statistical and biological gene-lifestyle interactions of MC4R and FTO with diet and physical activity on obesity: new effects on alcohol consumption. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52344 pubmed publisher..001). Statistical and biological interactions with PA and diet modulate the effects of FTO and MC4R polymorphisms on obesity. The novel association with alcohol consumption seems independent of their effects on BMI. ..
- Corella D, Arregui M, Coltell O, Portoles O, Guillem Sáiz P, Carrasco P, et al. Association of the LCT-13910C>T polymorphism with obesity and its modulation by dairy products in a Mediterranean population. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011;19:1707-14 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, despite not finding marked differences in dairy product consumption, this polymorphism was strongly associated with BMI and obesity and modulated by lactose intake in this Mediterranean population. ..
- Corella D, Carrasco P, Amiano P, Arriola L, Chirlaque M, Huerta J, et al. Common cholesteryl ester transfer protein gene variation related to high-density lipoprotein cholesterol is not associated with decreased coronary heart disease risk after a 10-year follow-up in a Mediterranean cohort: Modulation by alcohol consumpti. Atherosclerosis. 2010;211:531-8 pubmed publisher..In this Mediterranean population, the CETP-TaqIB polymorphism was not associated with a lower CHD incidence, and its effect was modulated by alcohol and possibly by diabetes. ..
- Corella D, González J, Bullo M, Carrasco P, Portoles O, Diez Espino J, et al. Polymorphisms cyclooxygenase-2 -765G>C and interleukin-6 -174G>C are associated with serum inflammation markers in a high cardiovascular risk population and do not modify the response to a Mediterranean diet supplemented with virgin olive oil o. J Nutr. 2009;139:128-34 pubmed publisher
- Corella D, Ordovas J. SINGLE NUCLEOTIDE POLYMORPHISMS THAT INFLUENCE LIPID METABOLISM: Interaction with Dietary Factors. Annu Rev Nutr. 2005;25:341-90 pubmed..In summary, there is need for both large population studies and well-standardized intervention studies. ..
- Corella D, Guillen M, Portoles O, Sorli J, Alonso V, Folch J, et al. Gender specific associations of the Trp64Arg mutation in the beta3-adrenergic receptor gene with obesity-related phenotypes in a Mediterranean population: interaction with a common lipoprotein lipase gene variation. J Intern Med. 2001;250:348-60 pubmed..The Trp64Arg mutation was associated with BMI and lipids in men. In women, an additional gene-gene interaction with the LPL-HindIII polymorphism may explain the results. ..
- Corella D, Sorli J, Gonzalez J, Ortega C, Fito M, Bullo M, et al. Novel association of the obesity risk-allele near Fas Apoptotic Inhibitory Molecule 2 (FAIM2) gene with heart rate and study of its effects on myocardial infarction in diabetic participants of the PREDIMED trial. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2014;13:5 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results suggest a possible association of this polymorphism with higher myocardial infarction risk in type-2 diabetic subjects, although this result needs to be replicated as it could represent a false positive. ..
- Corella D, Carrasco P, Fito M, Martinez Gonzalez M, Salas Salvado J, Aros F, et al. Gene-environment interactions of CETP gene variation in a high cardiovascular risk Mediterranean population. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:2798-807 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the strong association of the CETP SNPs and HDL-C was not statistically modified by diet or by the other environmental factors. ..