Affiliation: University of Barcelona
- Focus on hepatocellular carcinomaJordi Bruix
BCLC Group, Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Cancer Cell 5:215-9. 2004
- Prognosis of hepatocellular carcinomaJosep M Llovet
Barcelona-Clinic Liver Cancer (BCLC) Group, Liver Unit, Institut de Malalties Digestives, , University of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Hepatogastroenterology 49:7-11. 2002..In addition to predicting prognosis, the staging system should also guide the selection of treatment and this is the major advantage of the classification applied in the Barcelona-Clinic Liver Cancer Group...
- Treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma: is there an optimal strategy?Maria Varela
Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer Group, Liver Unit, Digestive Disease Institute, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Villarroel 170, Barcelona, Spain
Cancer Treat Rev 29:99-104. 2003..Finally, patients with end-stage disease with heavily impaired liver function (Child-Pugh class C) or severe physical impairment (performance status 3-4) die within 6 months and should receive only symptomatic treatment...
- Expanded criteria for hepatocellular carcinoma through down-staging prior to liver transplantation: not yet thereJosep M Llovet
Mount Sinai Liver Cancer Program, Divisions of Liver Disease and Recanati Miller Transplantation Institute, Department of Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Semin Liver Dis 26:248-53. 2006..Only a few small studies with heterogeneous target populations and treatments applied are available. The results of these studies are inconsistent and do not provide compelling evidence to accept down-staging as a standard of care...
- Hepatocellular carcinoma in the setting of liver transplantationMaria Varela
, Liver Unit, , , Barcelona, Spain
Liver Transpl 12:1028-36. 2006
- Hepatocellular carcinoma in the United States. Lessons from a population-based study in Medicare recipientsMaria Varela
J Hepatol 44:8-10. 2006
- Management of hepatocellular carcinomaJordi Bruix
, University of Barcelona, , Barcelona, Spain
Hepatology 42:1208-36. 2005
- Molecular targeted therapies in hepatocellular carcinomaJosep M Llovet
Mount Sinai Liver Cancer Program, Division of Liver Diseases, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Hepatology 48:1312-27. 2008..Ultimately, a molecular classification of HCC based on genome-wide investigations and identification of patient subclasses according to drug responsiveness will lead to a more personalized medicine...
- Diagnosis of Small HCCJordi Bruix
Gastroenterology 129:1364. 2005
- Prognostic prediction in patients with hepatocellular carcinomaMargarita Sala
Liver Unit, , University of Barcelona, , 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Semin Liver Dis 25:171-80. 2005..It considers tumor stage, liver functional status, physical status, and cancer-related symptoms and, by dividing patients into early, intermediate, advanced, and end-stage categories, provides a link to treatment indication...
- Applicability of adult-to-adult living donor liver transplantationAntoni Rimola
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 43:104-9. 2005..We report the first data in a European center of the process leading to this procedure from the first moment the patients were informed about it...
- Clinical management of hepatic malignancies: ferucarbotran-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging versus contrast-enhanced spiral computed tomographyRiccardo Lencioni
Department of Radiology, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 50:533-7. 2005..0167). Ferucarbotran-enhanced MR imaging is superior to spiral CT in clinical management of patients with suspected hepatic malignancy...
- Liver transplantation in hepatocellular carcinomaJosep Fuster
Barcelona-Clinic Liver Cancer (BCLC) Group, Department of Surgery, Digestive Disease Institute, , Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Villaroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Transpl Int 18:278-82. 2005..The development of adult living donor liver transplantation has proved to be a good alternative in this type of patients even if they do not fulfill the conventional criteria...
- Treatment of hepatocellular carcinomaAlejandro Forner
Liver Unit, Institut de Malalties Digestives i Metaboliques, BCLC Group, IDIPAPS, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, C/Villarroel 170, E-08036 Barcelona, Spain
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 60:89-98. 2006..Finally, the patients with severe cancer-related symptoms or great tumor burden belong to the terminal stage and only benefit from symptomatic treatment...
- Diagnosis and staging of hepatocellular carcinoma prior to transplantation: expertise or failureMaria Varela
Liver Transpl 12:1445-7. 2006
- Focal gains of VEGFA and molecular classification of hepatocellular carcinomaDerek Y Chiang
Department of Medical Oncology and Center for Cancer Genome Discovery, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cancer Res 68:6779-88. 2008..Furthermore, the prevalence of VEGFA high-level gains in multiple tumor types suggests indications for clinical trials of antiangiogenic therapies...
- Sorafenib in advanced hepatocellular carcinomaJosep M Llovet
Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer Group, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Centro de Investigaciones en Red de Enfermedades Hepáticas y Digestivas Hospital Clínic Barcelona, Barcelona
N Engl J Med 359:378-90. 2008..A preliminary study suggested that sorafenib, an oral multikinase inhibitor of the vascular endothelial growth factor receptor, the platelet-derived growth factor receptor, and Raf may be effective in hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Design and endpoints of clinical trials in hepatocellular carcinomaJosep M Llovet
HCC Translational Research Lab, Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer Group, Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, CIBERehd, Institute for Biomedical Investigations August Pi Sunyer, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:698-711. 2008..These surrogate markers may help to enrich study populations and maximize the cost-benefit ratio of trial execution. Design and conduct of phase 3 trials should be coordinated by centers with appropriate expertise in HCC...
- Novel advancements in the management of hepatocellular carcinoma in 2008Josep M Llovet
Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer BCLC Group, Liver Unit, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, CIBERehd, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
J Hepatol 48:S20-37. 2008..Now, the research effort faces other areas of unmet need, such as the adjuvant setting of resection/local ablation and combination therapies...
- Locoregional treatment for hepatocellular carcinoma: From clinical exploration to robust clinical data, changing standards of careAlejandro Forner
Hepatology 47:5-7. 2008
- Diagnosis of hepatic nodules 20 mm or smaller in cirrhosis: Prospective validation of the noninvasive diagnostic criteria for hepatocellular carcinomaAlejandro Forner
BCLC Group, Liver Unit, IDIBAPS, CIBERehd, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Hepatology 47:97-104. 2008..These results validate the American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (AASLD) guidelines...
- Genome-wide molecular profiles of HCV-induced dysplasia and hepatocellular carcinomaElisa Wurmbach
Mount Sinai Liver Cancer Program, Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Hepatology 45:938-47. 2007..CONCLUSION: These findings provide a comprehensive molecular portrait of genomic changes in progressive HCV-related HCC...
- Chemoembolization of hepatocellular carcinoma with drug eluting beads: efficacy and doxorubicin pharmacokineticsMaria Varela
Liver Unit, IMDM, Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer BCLC Group, Hospital Clinic, CIBER HEPAD, University of Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 46:474-81. 2007..This study assesses the safety, pharmacokinetics and efficacy of transarterial chemoembolization using drug eluting beads (DEB), an embolizing device that slowly releases chemotherapy to decrease systemic toxicity...
- Downregulation of KLF6 is an early event in hepatocarcinogenesis, and stimulates proliferation while reducing differentiationSigal Kremer Tal
Division of Liver Diseases and Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Hepatol 46:645-54. 2007..Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) has the most rapidly rising cancer incidence in the US and Europe. The KLF6 tumor suppressor is frequently inactivated in HCC by loss-of-heterozygosity (LOH) and/or mutation...
- A molecular signature to discriminate dysplastic nodules from early hepatocellular carcinoma in HCV cirrhosisJosep M Llovet
Mount Sinai Liver Cancer Program, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York 10029, USA
Gastroenterology 131:1758-67. 2006..Small liver nodules approximately 2 cm are difficult to characterize by radiologic or pathologic examination. Our aim was to identify a molecular signature to diagnose early hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)...
- Initial response to percutaneous ablation predicts survival in patients with hepatocellular carcinomaMargarita Sala
Liver Unit, , , University of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Hepatology 40:1352-60. 2004..Accordingly, initial complete tumor necrosis should be considered a relevant therapeutic target irrespective of tumor size and liver function...
- Chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinomaJordi Bruix
BCLC Group, Liver Unit, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 127:S179-88. 2004..The analysis of efficacy in these trials should be adjusted for prognostic factors, such as the presence of symptoms, Child-Pugh class, and segmental vascular invasion...
- p27(Kip1) is an independent predictor of recurrence after surgical resection in patients with small hepatocellular carcinomaCarolina Armengol
, Liver Unit, Digestive Disease Institute, , , University of Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
J Hepatol 38:591-7. 2003..015) and microvascular invasion (P=0.016). CONCLUSIONS: p27 underexpression is frequent in relatively early stages of HCC and constitutes an independent predictor of recurrence after surgical resection...
- Treatment strategies for hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhosisW Scott Helton
Department of Surgery, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 7:401-11. 2003
- HCC surveillance: who is the target population?Jordi Bruix
Hepatology 37:507-9. 2003
- Contrast-enhanced power Doppler sonography and helical computed tomography for assessment of vascularity of small hepatocellular carcinomas before and after percutaneous ablationRamon Vilana
Radiology Department, , , University of Barcelona, Calle Villarroel, 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Ultrasound 31:119-28. 2003..However, although contrast-enhanced PDI may be useful for real-time guidance of treatment, its low sensitivity makes it inadequate to accurately assess the completeness of ablation...
- Identification of novel tumor markers in hepatitis C virus-associated hepatocellular carcinomaMaria W Smith
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, and Washington National Primate Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Cancer Res 63:859-64. 2003..Thus, high throughput methods coupled with high-order statistical analyses may result in the development of new diagnostic tools for liver malignancies...
- Systematic review of randomized trials for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: Chemoembolization improves survivalJosep M Llovet
Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer Group, Liver Unit, Digestive Disease Institut, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, Catalonia, Spain
Hepatology 37:429-42. 2003..In conclusion, chemoembolization improves survival of patients with unresectable HCC and may become the standard treatment. Treatment with tamoxifen does not modify the survival of patients with advanced disease...
- Expected developments in hepatologyXavier Forns
Liver Unit, , , University of Barcelona, Spain
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 16:957-70. 2002..The risk factors and primary, secondary and tertiary prevention of the condition are also analysed. Finally, the development of new therapeutic strategies for hepatocellular carcinoma is evaluated by evidence-based studies...
- Prognostic assessment and evaluation of the benefits of treatmentJordi Bruix
Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer Group, Liver Unit, Digestive, Disease Institute, Barcelona, Catalonia Spain
J Clin Gastroenterol 35:S138-42. 2002..Finally, those with severe liver function or health status impairment constitute the end-stage category and cannot be expected to survive more than 1 year...
- Arterial embolisation or chemoembolisation versus symptomatic treatment in patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a randomised controlled trialJosep M Llovet
Liver Unit, Digestive Disease Institute, , University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Lancet 359:1734-9. 2002..45 [95% CI 0.25-0.81], p=0.02). INTERPRETATION: Chemoembolisation improved survival of stringently selected patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma: Foucault pendulum versus evidence-based decisionJordi Bruix
Liver Transpl 9:700-2. 2003
- MRI angiography is superior to helical CT for detection of HCC prior to liver transplantation: an explant correlationMarta Burrel
Radiology Department, , , University of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Hepatology 38:1034-42. 2003..In conclusion, MRA has a high diagnostic accuracy for HCC > or =10 mm and is more sensitive than triphasic helical CT in nodules sized 10 to 20 mm. MRA is the optimal technique for HCC staging prior to curative therapies...
- Hepatocellular carcinomaJosep M Llovet
, Liver Unit, Digestive Disease Institute, IDIBAPS, Hospital Cli;nic i Provincial, University of Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036, Barcelona, Spain
Lancet 362:1907-17. 2003..Meta-analysis shows that only chemoembolisation improves survival in well-selected patients with unresectable HCC...
- Preoperative evaluation of biliary anatomy in adult live liver donors with volumetric mangafodipir trisodium enhanced magnetic resonance cholangiographyJuan R Ayuso
Department of Radiology, Centre de Diagnostic per la Imatge Clinic, Institut Clinic de Malalties Digestives, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August PiI Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Liver Transpl 10:1391-7. 2004..002). In conclusion, Mn-DPDP-enhanced MRC is highly accurate in depicting the biliary duct anatomy and can be used preoperatively for surgical planning in LDLT...
- Frequent inactivation of the tumor suppressor Kruppel-like factor 6 (KLF6) in hepatocellular carcinomaSigal Kremer-Tal
Division of Liver Diseases, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Hepatology 40:1047-52. 2004..In conclusion, we propose that KLF6 is deregulated by loss and/or mutation in HCC, and its inactivation may contribute to pathogenesis in a significant number of these tumors...
- Selection of candidates with HCC for transplantation in the MELD eraMargarita Sala
Barcelona-Clinic-Liver-Cancer Group, Liver Unit, , University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Liver Transpl 10:S4-9. 2004..3%. 5. Priority policies have to be developed and refined to provide a fair and effective distribution of cadaveric organs...
- High pathological risk of recurrence after surgical resection for hepatocellular carcinoma: an indication for salvage liver transplantationMargarita Sala
Liver Unit, , , University of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Liver Transpl 10:1294-300. 2004..In conclusion, this policy is clinically effective and could further improve the outcome of resected patients...
- Abdominal drainage after liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhotic patients: a randomized controlled studyJosep Fuster
Department of Surgery, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Hepatogastroenterology 51:536-40. 2004..The objective of our study is to assess the usefulness of intra-abdominal drainage after liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhotic patients...
- Orthotopic implantation of human hepatocellular carcinoma in mice: analysis of tumor progression and establishment of the BCLC-9 cell lineCarolina Armengol
BCLC Group, Liver Unit, Digestive Disease Institute, , , Barcelona, Spain
Clin Cancer Res 10:2150-7. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: The orthotopic implantation of early HCC fragments in nude mice provides a useful model to investigate the mechanisms of human HCC evolution and to establish new cell lines...
- The Barcelona approach: diagnosis, staging, and treatment of hepatocellular carcinomaJosep M Llovet
Liver Unit, Digestive Disease Institute, IDIBAPS, , University of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Liver Transpl 10:S115-20. 2004..Finally, patients with end-stage disease should receive only palliative treatment to avoid unnecessary suffering...
- Hepatitis B virus and hepatocellular carcinomaJordi Bruix
BCLC Group, Liver Unit, Digestive Disease Institute, , IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 39:S59-63. 2003
- Unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: meta-analysis of arterial embolizationJosep M Llovet
Radiology 230:300-1; author reply 301-2. 2004
- Prognostic prediction and treatment strategy in hepatocellular carcinomaJordi Bruix
, Liver Unit, Digestive Disease Institute, , Villaroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Hepatology 35:519-24. 2002