P L Alonso
Affiliation: University of Barcelona
- Cost-effectiveness of iron supplementation and malaria chemoprophylaxis in the prevention of anaemia and malaria among Tanzanian infantsM Alonzo González
Epidemiology and Biostatistics Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Bull World Health Organ 78:97-107. 2000..This economic analysis supports the inclusion of both malaria chemoprophylaxis and iron supplementation delivered through EPI as part of the control strategies for these major killers of infants in parts of sub-Saharan Africa...
- Randomised placebo-controlled trial of iron supplementation and malaria chemoprophylaxis for prevention of severe anaemia and malaria in Tanzanian infantsC Menendez
Unidad de Epidemiologia y Bioestadistica, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Lancet 350:844-50. 1997..We undertook a randomised comparison of different strategies for control of anaemia and malaria in infants, including an assessment of the effect of iron supplementation on malaria susceptibility...
- Effect of malaria on soluble transferrin receptor levels in Tanzanian infantsC Menendez
, , Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:138-42. 2001..We conclude that the measurement of sTfR levels does not have a role in the diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia in young children exposed to malaria infection...
- The impact of placental malaria on gestational age and birth weightC Menendez
Unidad de Epidemiologia y Bioestadistica, Hospital Clinic, E 08036, Barcelona, Spain
J Infect Dis 181:1740-5. 2000..This study also shows that placental malaria causes prematurity even in high-transmission areas. The impact of maternal malaria on infant mortality may be greater than was thought previously...
- Prevalence and mother-to-infant transmission of hepatitis viruses B, C, and E in Southern TanzaniaC Menendez
Unidad de Epidemiologia y Bioestadistica, Institut d Investigacions Biomedicas August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
J Med Virol 58:215-20. 1999..The results of this study show for the first time in Africa that mother-to-infant transmission does not play a significant role in the acquisition of HCV infection...
- Malaria-related anaemiaC Menendez
Unidad de Epidemiologia y Bioestadisica, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Parasitol Today 16:469-76. 2000..In this review, Clara Menendez, Alan Fleming and Pedro Alonso focus on recent advances in our knowledge of the pathophysiology, epidemiology, management and prevention of anaemia from falciparum malaria...
- Prevalence of the K76T mutation in the putative Plasmodium falciparum chloroquine resistance transporter (pfcrt) gene and its relation to chloroquine resistance in MozambiqueA G Mayor
Centro de Investigação em Saúde da Manhiça, Dirección Nacional de Saúde, Ministerio de Saude, Maputo, Mozambique
J Infect Dis 183:1413-6. 2001..These findings show a high prevalence of the K76T mutation among wild isolates but also suggest additional factors responsible for CQ resistance...
- Placental malaria is associated with cell-mediated inflammatory responses with selective absence of natural killer cellsJ Ordi
Department of Pathology, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS Hospital Clínic, Facultat de Medicina, Universitat de Barcelona, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Infect Dis 183:1100-7. 2001..These results indicate that placental malaria does not appear to be associated with cell-mediated immunosuppression. The role of the absence of NK cells in increased susceptibility to malaria needs to be further elucidated...
- The incidence of clinical malaria detected by active case detection in children in Ifakara, southern TanzaniaD M Schellenberg
Centro de Salud International, Institut d Investigacions Biomedicas August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 97:647-54. 2003....
- Malaria: burden of diseaseC Guinovart
Centre for International Health, Hospital Clínic IDIBAPS Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Curr Mol Med 6:137-40. 2006....
- Community incidences of respiratory infections in an actively followed cohort of children <1 year of age in Manhiça, a rural area of southern MozambiqueA Roca
Centre de Salut Internacional Hospital Clínic IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Trop Med Int Health 11:373-80. 2006..To estimate the community incidence-rates of respiratory infections among infants in Manhiça, southern Mozambique, and to determine risk factors associated with these infections...
- Prevalence of bacterial vaginosis and correlation of clinical to Gram stain diagnostic criteria in low risk pregnant womenE Gratacos
Departament d Obstetricia i Ginecologia, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Epidemiol 15:913-6. 1999..In these populations, the correlation of composite clinical criteria defined in groups with high prevalence of bacterial vaginosis appears to be also poor...
- Interleukin-4, interleukin-10, and granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor in second-trimester serum from women with preeclampsiaE Gratacos
Departament d Obstetricia i Ginecologia, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
Obstet Gynecol 92:849-53. 1998....
- Estimating the vaccine-preventable burden of hospitalized pneumonia among young Mozambican childrenA Roca
Barcelona Centre for International Health Research CRESIB, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Vaccine 28:4851-7. 2010..Introduction of Hib and pneumococcal conjugate vaccines would have a substantial impact on pneumonia hospitalizations among African children if vaccine effects are similar to those observed in clinical trials...
- Genetic and structural analysis of MBL2 and MASP2 polymorphisms in south-eastern African childrenX Valles
International Research Center in Health of Barcelona CRESIB, Hospital Clínic de Barcelona IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Tissue Antigens 74:298-307. 2009..7%) and P111L (25.4%)] were compared with those of two previously reported variants (R103C and D105G). None of the analysed MASP2 variants, with the exception of D105G, interfered with interactions with either MBL or ficolins (H and L)...