Affiliation: Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Eyes wide shut: linking brain and pupil in bilingual and monolingual toddlersNúria Sebastián-Gallés
Center for Brain and Cognition, Department of Technology, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain
Trends Cogn Sci 17:197-8. 2013..The study used a novel approach that combines electrophysiological recordings (event-related potentials) and changes in pupil size, opening new ways to explore early human development...
- A bilingual advantage in visual language discrimination in infancyNúria Sebastián-Gallés
Center for Brain and Cognition, Department of Technology, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
Psychol Sci 23:994-9. 2012..These findings reveal that bilingual experience can modulate the attentional system even without explicit training or feedback. They provide a basis for explaining the ontogeny of the general cognitive advantages of bilinguals...
- Developmental shift in the discrimination of vowel contrasts in bilingual infants: is the distributional account all there is to it?Núria Sebastián-Gallés
Parc Científic UB and Departament de Psicologia Bàsica, University of Barcelona, Spain
Dev Sci 12:874-87. 2009..These results confirm bilinguals' specific developmental pattern of perceptual reorganization for acoustically close vowels and challenge an interpretation merely based on a distributional account...
- The acquisition of phonetic categories in bilingual infants: new data from an anticipatory eye movement paradigmBàrbara Albareda-Castellot
Department of Basic Psychology, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Dev Sci 14:395-401. 2011..The high ratio of cognates in Spanish and Catalan may underlie the reason why bilinguals failed to discriminate the native vowels when tested with the familiarization-preference procedure but succeeded with the AEM paradigm...
- The interplay between input and initial biases: asymmetries in vowel perception during the first year of lifeFerran Pons
Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behavior IR3C, and Universitat de Barcelona, Departament de Psicologia Basica, Facultat de Psicologia, Barcelona, Spain
Child Dev 83:965-76. 2012..The results confirmed an acoustic bias at 4 and 6 months in all infants. However, at 12 months, discrimination was not affected by the acoustic bias but by the frequency of occurrence of the vowel...
- Lexical plasticity in early bilinguals does not alter phoneme categories: II. Experimental evidenceNúria Sebastián-Gallés
Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Cogn Neurosci 21:2343-57. 2009..The results of the present study are compared with those obtained in short-term laboratory exposures in an attempt to provide an integrative account...
- Vowel categorization during word recognition in bilingual toddlersMarta Ramon-Casas
University of Barcelona, Pare Científic de Barcelona and Department of Psicologia Bàsica, P Vall d Hebron, 171, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Cogn Psychol 59:96-121. 2009....
- How does the bilingual experience sculpt the brain?Albert Costa
1 Center for Brain and Cognition, Department of Technology, Pompeu Fabra University, 08018 Barcelona, Spain 2 ICREA Institució Catalana de Recerca I Estudis Avançats, Passeig Lluis Companys, 23 08010 Barcelona, Spain
Nat Rev Neurosci 15:336-45. 2014....
- The lateral asymmetry of the human brain studied by volumetric magnetic resonance imagingJesus Pujol
Magnetic Resonance Center of Pedralbes, Barcelona, Spain
Neuroimage 17:670-9. 2002....
- Simultaneous bilingualism and the perception of a language-specific vowel contrast in the first year of lifeLaura Bosch
University of Barcelona, Spain
Lang Speech 46:217-43. 2003..An additional experiment at 12 months of age indicated that bilinguals finally regained discrimination. Together these results suggest a specific developmental pattern of perceptual reorganization in bilingual exposure...
- Native-language sensitivities: evolution in the first year of lifeNúria Sebastián-Gallés
GRNC Parc Científic de Barcelona and Departament de Psicologia Bàsica Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Trends Cogn Sci 10:239-41. 2006..Until recently, it was believed that the perception of native-language categories did not significantly evolve in that period. Kuhl et al. offer compelling new evidence indicating significant increase in native-language perception...
- Effects of backward speech and speaker variability in language discrimination by ratsJuan M Toro
Grup de Recerca en Neurociència Cognitiva GRNC, Hospital Sant Joan de Deu, Parc Cientific de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Exp Psychol Anim Behav Process 31:95-100. 2005..These findings have remarkable parallels with data from human adults, human newborns, and cotton-top tamarins. Implications for speech perception by humans are discussed...
- Language effects in addition: How you say it countsAngels Colomé
Basic Psychology Department and Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behavior, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Q J Exp Psychol (Hove) 63:965-83. 2010..Results of the three experiments are discussed in light of current models of numerical cognition...
- Discriminating languages by speech-readingSalvador Soto-Faraco
ICREA and Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Percept Psychophys 69:218-31. 2007..The results obtained are in accord with recent proposals arguing that the visual speech signal is rich in informational content, above and beyond what traditional accounts based solely on visemic confusion matrices would predict...
- Spontaneous brain activity predicts learning ability of foreign soundsNoelia Ventura-Campos
Departament de Psicologia Basica, Clinica i Psicobiologia, Universitat Jaume I, 12071 Castellón de la Plana, Spain
J Neurosci 33:9295-305. 2013....
- Time course and functional neuroanatomy of speech segmentation in adultsToni Cunillera
Department of Basic Psychology, Faculty of Psychology, University of Barcelona, 08035, Barcelona, Spain
Neuroimage 48:541-53. 2009..We interpret these findings as evidence for the existence of an auditory-motor interface that is responsible for isolating possible candidate words when learning a new language in adults...
- An effect of bilingualism on the auditory cortexVolker Ressel
Speech Acquisition and Perception Group, Center for Brain and Cognition, Department of Technology, Pompeu Fabra University, 08018 Barcelona, Spain
J Neurosci 32:16597-601. 2012..Since the bilinguals in this study were not a self-selected group, this observation provides a clear demonstration that learning a second language is a causal factor in the increased size of the auditory cortex...
- Lexical plasticity in early bilinguals does not alter phoneme categories: I. Neurodynamical modelingJ P Larsson
Computational Neuroscience Group, Departament de Tecnologies de la Informació i les Comunicacions, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
J Cogn Neurosci 20:76-94. 2008..We conclude that subjects often exposed to dialectal word variations can store these in their lexicons, without altering their phoneme representations...
- 'If you are good, I get better': the role of social hierarchy in perceptual decision-makingHernando Santamaría-García
Department of Technology, Center for Brain and Cognition, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Roc Boronat 138, 08018 and Institució Catalana de Recerca i Estudis Avançats, ICREA, Passeig Lluis Companys 23, 08010 Barcelona, Spain
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci 9:1489-97. 2014..Consistently, the DDM pointed to nondecision time (probably perceptual encoding) as the principal period influenced by social hierarchy...
- Oscillation encoding of individual differences in speech perceptionYu Jin
Speech Acquisition and Perception Group, Center for Brain and Cognition, Department of Technology, Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 9:e100901. 2014..The behavioral differences between the two groups may reflect individual variations in activating brain circuits at a perceptual level. ..
- Brain structure is related to speech perception abilities in bilingualsMiguel Burgaleta
Center for Brain and Cognition Universitat Pompeu Fabra, c Roc Boronat 138, 08018, Barcelona, Spain
Brain Struct Funct 219:1405-16. 2014....
- Delayed myelination in children with developmental delay detected by volumetric MRIJesus Pujol
Magnetic Resonance Center of Pedralbes, Barcelona, Spain
Neuroimage 22:897-903. 2004..This finding further emphasizes the view of white matter myelination as an indicator of functional brain maturation...