Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Universitat de Barcelona
- The Early Systemic Prophylaxis of Infection After Stroke study: a randomized clinical trialA Chamorro
Stroke Unit, Hospital Clinic, and Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 36:1495-500. 2005..Early infection after stroke is frequent but the clinical value of antibiotic prophylaxis in acute stroke has never been explored...
- Immediate anticoagulation for acute stroke in atrial fibrillation: yesAngel Chamorro
Stroke Unit, Department of Neurological Sciences, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic Barcelona, 170 Villarroel, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 37:3052-3. 2006
- Infection after acute ischemic stroke: a manifestation of brain-induced immunodepressionAngel Chamorro
Stroke Unit, Hospital Clínic and Institut d Investigations biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 38:1097-103. 2007..Infection after experimental focal ischemia may result from brain-induced immunodepression, but it is unsettled whether a similar syndrome occurs in human stroke...
- The immunology of acute strokeAngel Chamorro
Comprehensive Stroke Center, Department of Neuroscience, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, 170 Villarroel, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Nat Rev Neurol 8:401-10. 2012..Ongoing clinical trials are investigating whether the preventive use of antibiotics improves functional outcome after stroke. This Review discusses the multifaceted role of the immune system in the pathophysiology of acute stroke...
- Interleukin 10, monocytes and increased risk of early infection in ischaemic strokeA Chamorro
Stroke Unit, Hospital Clinic and Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Hospital Clinic, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77:1279-81. 2006..The pathophysiology of stroke-associated infection (SAI) is uncertain. The cytokine profile and peripheral white cell response were assessed in patients with or without SAI...
- The harms and benefits of inflammatory and immune responses in vascular diseaseAngel Chamorro
The Stroke Unit, Institute of Clinical Neurosciences, Hospital Clinic, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 37:291-3. 2006
- Heparin in acute ischemic stroke revisitedA Chamorro
Functional Unit of Cerebrovascular Diseases, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Rev Neurol (Paris) 164:815-8. 2008..Meanwhile, recommendations against the value of "early" anticoagulation with full dose of weight adjusted UH in the setting of acute ischemic stroke are not based on direct evidence but on extrapolations...
- The rapid anticoagulation prevents ischemic damage study in acute stroke--final results from the writing committeeA Chamorro
Stroke Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Cerebrovasc Dis 19:402-4. 2005
- TP receptor antagonism: a new concept in atherothrombosis and stroke preventionAngel Chamorro
Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, Department of Neurosciences, 170 Villarroel, Barcelona ES 08036, Spain
Cerebrovasc Dis 27:20-7. 2009..A large trial is currently comparing the efficacy and safety of terutroban versus aspirin in secondary prevention of cardiovascular events in patients who have suffered a stroke or transient ischemic attack (PERFORM Study)...
- Dual antiplatelet therapy is not optimal for stroke prevention in patients with atrial fibrillationA Chamorro
Comprehensive Stroke Center, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Stroke 5:28-9. 2010..However, the relative risk of major bleeding was also significantly increased. This article analyses critically the role of dual antiplatelet therapy for stroke prevention in patients with atrial fibrillation...
- Catecholamines, infection, and death in acute ischemic strokeAngel Chamorro
Stroke Unit, Hospital Clinic and Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Spain
J Neurol Sci 252:29-35. 2007..Moreover, these findings are independent of the blood borne effects of pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines, and circulating leukocytes...
- The BC genotype of the VNTR polymorphism of platelet glycoprotein Ibalpha is overrepresented in patients with recurrent stroke regardless of aspirin therapyA Cervera
Stroke Unit, Department of Neurological Sciences, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, and Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Cerebrovasc Dis 24:242-6. 2007..The contribution of genetic factors to aspirin treatment failure (ATF) for secondary prevention is not settled in patients with ischemic stroke...
- Prevention of ischemic stroke: antithrombotic therapy in cardiac embolismA Cervera
Stroke Unit, Institut of Clinical Neurosciences, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona and Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Curr Drug Targets 8:824-31. 2007....
- Comparison of the acute-phase response in patients with ischemic stroke treated with high-dose heparin or aspirinA Chamorro
Stroke Unit, Neurology Service IDIBAPS Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, 08036, Barcelona, Spain
J Neurol Sci 178:17-22. 2000..This study shows that full-dose UH reduces the acute-phase reaction that follows ischemic stroke more effectively than aspirin. The prognostic implications of such effect seem more notable in patients with nonlacunar stroke...
- Blood pressure and functional recovery in acute ischemic strokeA Chamorro
Neurology Service IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 29:1850-3. 1998..We aimed to evaluate the rate of functional recovery with relation to early blood pressure management in patients with ischemic stroke...
- The response to IV rt-PA in very old stroke patientsM Gomez-Choco
Stroke Unit, Institute of Neurosciences, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Neurol 15:253-6. 2008..The rates of clinical improvement, mortality, or symptomatic CNS bleeding were also unrelated to age and sex. In conclusion, the response to IV rtPA is not impaired in elderly stroke patients and male and female are equally responsive...
- Ex vivo response to aspirin differs in stroke patients with single or recurrent events: a pilot studyA Chamorro
Neurology Service IDIBAPS, Stroke Unit, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, 08036, Barcelona, Spain
J Neurol Sci 171:110-4. 1999..It is likely that patients could receive a more efficacious stroke prevention if the dose of aspirin is tailored to individual needs as reflected by laboratory findings...
- The -174G/C polymorphism of the interleukin 6 gene is a hallmark of lacunar stroke and not other ischemic stroke phenotypesA Chamorro
Neurology Service and Institut d Investigació Biomedica August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, Pharmacology and Toxicology Department, Barcelona, Spain
Cerebrovasc Dis 19:91-5. 2005..The CC genotype of the -174 G/C interleukin (IL)-6 polymorphism has been associated with lacunar stroke. However, it remains unsettled whether this polymorphism is also associated with other ischemic stroke phenotypes...
- Harms and benefits of lymphocyte subpopulations in patients with acute strokeX Urra
Functional Unit of Cerebrovascular Diseases, Hospital Clinic, and Facultat de Medicina, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Neuroscience 158:1174-83. 2009..Lymphocytes are major players in the development of innate and adaptive immune responses but their behavior in patients with acute stroke has received little attention...
- [Heparin in acute cerebral ischemia]A Chamorro
Servicio de Neurologia, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona
Neurologia 14:41-6. 1999..Based on the results shown it is concluded that it is necessary to prospectively evaluate the role of heparin in acute ischemic ictus...
- Interaction between interleukin-6 and the natural anticoagulant system in acute strokeN Vila
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic i Provincial, Barcelona, Spain
J Interferon Cytokine Res 20:325-9. 2000..However, variations in free PS levels do not have implications for clinical outcome in stroke patients. The link between proinflammatory cytokines and free PS in the acute phase of stroke is not related to the C4BP pathway...
- Motor behavior in stroke patients with isolated medial frontal ischemic infarctionA Chamorro
Neurology Service of the Hospital Clinic University, Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 28:1755-60. 1997..We analyzed the motor behavior in eight patients with purely medial hemispheric infarctions who had face, arm, and leg involvement...
- Levels of anti-inflammatory cytokines and neurological worsening in acute ischemic strokeNicolás Vila
Hospital Clinic, Clinical Institute of Nervous System Diseases, Instituto Investigaciones Biomedicas August Pi i Sunyer, Villaroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 34:671-5. 2003..Anti-inflammatory cytokines act in a feedback loop to inhibit continued proinflammatory cytokine production. We assessed the implication of interleukin (IL)-10 and IL-4 in deteriorating ischemic stroke...
- Clinical consequences of infection in patients with acute stroke: is it prime time for further antibiotic trials?Martha Vargas
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 37:461-5. 2006..We sought to evaluate the predisposing factors and clinical consequences of SAI to gather additional insight on the need of exploring other antibiotics in acute stroke...
- Role of inflammation in stroke and atherothrombosisAngel Chamorro
Neurology Service, Hospital Clinic Universitari, Institut Investigacions Biomèdicas August Pi I Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Cerebrovasc Dis 17:1-5. 2004..Such biomarkers may have clinical utility for refined identification of patients at high risk for atherothrombosis in different arterial beds and for monitoring of therapeutic agents in clinical trials...
- Monocytes are major players in the prognosis and risk of infection after acute strokeXabier Urra
Functional Unit of Cerebrovascular Diseases, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 40:1262-8. 2009..Monocyte numbers increase in patients with stroke associated infection (SAI) or severe stroke. Whether changes in monocytes are related to specific effects, or simply mark brain damage, remains unsettled...
- Unfractionated heparin is associated with a lower rise of serum vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 in acute ischemic stroke patientsAngel Chamorro
Neurology Service, Hospital Clinic Universitari, 170 Villarroel, 08036, Barcelona, Spain
Neurosci Lett 328:229-32. 2002..19, 1.1-4.39). These results suggest that adjusted high-dose UFH has anti-inflammatory effects which might improve recovery if administered early after stroke onset...
- Prognostic significance of uric acid serum concentration in patients with acute ischemic strokeAngel Chamorro
Neurology Service and Institut d Investigació Biomedica August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 33:1048-52. 2002..We sought to assess in 881 consecutive patients with acute ischemic stroke the clinical relevance in regard to functional outcome of the natural antioxidant uric acid measured at hospital admission...
- Neurological picture. Familial Sneddon's syndrome with microbleeds in MRIS Llufriu
Stroke Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 79:962. 2008
- Antioxidant CR-6 protects against reperfusion injury after a transient episode of focal brain ischemia in ratsFernando J Pérez-Asensio
Department of Brain Ischemia and Neurodegeneration, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques de Barcelona Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona E 08036, Spain
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 30:638-52. 2010..In conclusion, oral CR-6 administration after transient ischemia protects the brain from reperfusion injury...
- A -174G/C polymorphism of the interleukin-6 gene in patients with lacunar infarctionMarian Revilla
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic Universitari, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Neurosci Lett 324:29-32. 2002..28; 95% CI, 1.22-15.00). These findings suggest that lacunar stroke might result from genetic susceptibility to inflammation-mediated damage in concert with atherosclerotic risk factors...
- Uric acid administration for neuroprotection in patients with acute brain ischemiaAngel Chamorro
Stroke Unit, Neurology Service, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Villarroel 170, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Med Hypotheses 62:173-6. 2004..Prospective double blind randomized controlled trials are needed to test the value of uric acid in these clinical settings in which oxyradical formation is prominent...
- [The shadow of ischemia. Therapeutic window]A Chamorro
Servicio de Neurologia, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona
Neurologia 14:35-40. 1999..The review that follows tackles on some of the main advances achieved in recent years in this exciting field...
- Prevalence and clinical importance of sleep apnea in the first night after cerebral infarctionA Iranzo
Services of Neurology, Hospital Clinic i Provincial de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 58:911-6. 2002..To determine the prevalence of sleep apnea (SA) during the first night after hemispheric ischemic stroke and its influence on clinical presentation, course, and functional outcome at 6 months...
- Hypocomplementemia in systemic lupus erythematosus and primary antiphospholipid syndrome: prevalence and clinical significance in 667 patientsM Ramos-Casals
Department of Autoimmune Diseases, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, School of Medicine, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Lupus 13:777-83. 2004..These results clearly support the routine determination of complement factors in the clinical follow-up of patients with SLE and primary APS...
- The URICO-ICTUS study, a phase 3 study of combined treatment with uric acid and rtPA administered intravenously in acute ischaemic stroke patients within the first 4.5 h of onset of symptomsSergio Amaro
Comprehensive Stroke Center, Institute of Neurosciences, Hospital Clinic, Institute Investigacions Biomèdicas August Pi I Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Stroke 5:325-8. 2010....
- Uric acid levels are relevant in patients with stroke treated with thrombolysisSergio Amaro
Stroke Unit, Institute of Neurosciences, Hospital Clinic Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 42:S28-32. 2011..Uric acid (UA) is a neuroprotective antioxidant that improves the benefits of alteplase in experimental ischemia. However, it is unknown whether endogenous UA also influences the response to thrombolysis in patients with stroke...
- Multimodal CT-assisted thrombolysis in patients with acute stroke: a cohort studyVictor Obach
Unit of Cerebrovascular Diseases, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 42:1129-31. 2011..The value of multimodal CT to assist thrombolysis has received little attention in stroke...
- Translational stroke research of the combination of thrombolysis and antioxidant therapySergio Amaro
Functional Unit of Cerebrovascular Diseases, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Villarroel, 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 42:1495-9. 2011..The clinical efficacy of uric acid is currently under investigation in a Phase III trial that follows current recommendations of also evaluating surrogate biomarkers of treatment effects...
- AG490 prevents cell death after exposure of rat astrocytes to hydrogen peroxide or proinflammatory cytokines: involvement of the Jak2/STAT pathwayRoser Gorina
Departament de Farmacologia i Toxicologia, IIBB CSIC, IDIBAPS, Rossello 161, Planta 6, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Neurochem 92:505-18. 2005....
- Stroke induced immunodepression syndrome: from bench to bedsideXabier Urra
Institute of Neurosciences, Stroke Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Curr Mol Med 9:195-202. 2009..Overall, current research suggests that a better understanding of the reciprocal effects between the CNS and the immune system could pave the way to more effective therapies for this devastating condition...
- Certain forms of matrix metalloproteinase-9 accumulate in the extracellular space after microdialysis probe implantation and middle cerebral artery occlusion/reperfusionAnna M Planas
Departament de Farmacologia i Toxicologia, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 22:918-25. 2002....
- Course of matrix metalloproteinase-9 isoforms after the administration of uric acid in patients with acute stroke: a proof-of-concept studySergio Amaro
Stroke Unit, Institute of Neurosciences, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel, 170, 08036, Barcelona, Spain
J Neurol 256:651-6. 2009..02) in multivariate models adjusted for age, NIHSS score, and baseline aMMP-9 levels. The decline of aMMP-9 attained after UA administration supports further clinical assessment of UA therapy in patients with acute stroke...
- Genetically-defined deficiency of mannose-binding lectin is associated with protection after experimental stroke in mice and outcome in human strokeAlvaro Cervera
Comprehensive Stroke Center, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Medical School, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 5:e8433. 2010..The latter is initiated by mannose-binding lectin (MBL) and MBL-associated serine proteases (MASPs). Here we investigated whether the lectin pathway contributes to stroke outcome in mice and humans...
- Uric acid reduces brain damage and improves the benefits of rt-PA in a rat model of thromboembolic strokeEduardo Romanos
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques de Barcelona IIBB Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas CSIC, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 27:14-20. 2007....
- Activation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 and agrin cleavage in cerebral ischemia/reperfusionSonia Sole
Departament de Farmacologia i Toxicologia, IIBB CSIC, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 63:338-49. 2004..In addition, the finding that MMP-3 cleaves brain agrin strongly suggests that ischemia-induced MMP-3 activation causes agrin cleavage...
- Anti-VCAM-1 antibodies did not protect against ischemic damage either in rats or in miceCarles Justicia
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, IIBB CSIC, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 26:421-32. 2006..The results show vascular upregulation of VCAM-1 after transient focal ischemia, but no benefits of blocking VCAM-1, suggesting that this is not a therapeutical strategy for stroke treatment...
- Imaging brain inflammation with [(11)C]PK11195 by PET and induction of the peripheral-type benzodiazepine receptor after transient focal ischemia in ratsSantiago Rojas
Department of Brain Ischemia and Neurodegeneration, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques de Barcelona IIBB Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas CSIC, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 27:1975-86. 2007..These results show cellular heterogeneity in the level of PBR expression, supporting that PBR is not a simple marker of inflammation, and that the extent of [(11)C]PK11195 binding depends on intrinsic features of the inflammatory cells...
- A pilot study of dual treatment with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator and uric acid in acute ischemic strokeSergio Amaro
Stroke 38:2173-5. 2007..In patients with stroke, increased UA levels have been linked to better stroke recovery, but the clinical safety of dual administration of UA and rt-PA is unknown...
- Inflammation-mediated damage in progressing lacunar infarctions: a potential therapeutic targetMar Castellanos
Section of Neurology, Hospital Universitari Doctor Josep Trueta, Girona, Spain
Stroke 33:982-7. 2002..In this study, we sought to investigate the role of proinflammatory molecules in the early worsening and outcome of acute lacunar stroke...
- Early anticoagulation in acute ischaemic strokeAngel Chamorro
Lancet 359:523; author reply 524. 2002
- Fiblast (trafermin) in acute stroke: results of the European-Australian phase II/III safety and efficacy trialJulien Bogousslavsky
Department of Neurology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Cerebrovasc Dis 14:239-51. 2002..A previous study in acute stroke patients suggested that trafermin was safe and well tolerated when given over a 3-hour period over a wide dose range...
- European Stroke Initiative Recommendations for Stroke Management-update 2003Tom Skyhoj Olsen
Cerebrovasc Dis 16:311-37. 2003..The recommendations are endorsed by the 3 European societies which are represented in the European Stroke Initiative: the European Stroke Council, the European Neurological Society and the European Federation of Neurological Societies...
- Organization of stroke care: education, referral, emergency management and imaging, stroke units and rehabilitation. European Stroke InitiativeMichael Brainin
Cerebrovasc Dis 17:1-14. 2004
- Acute treatment of ischaemic stroke. European Stroke InitiativeDanilo Toni
Cerebrovasc Dis 17:30-46. 2004
- Association of specific haplotypes of GAS6 gene with strokeXavier Munoz
Centre de Genètica Mèdica i Molecular, Institut de Recerca Oncològica IDIBELL, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Spain
Thromb Haemost 98:406-12. 2007..From these results we conclude that the A allele of the GAS6 c.834 + 7G > A polymorphism and more specifically, the CACA haplotype, is less prevalent in patients with stroke, suggesting a protective role for stroke of this haplotype...
- Steady plasma concentration of unfractionated heparin reduces infarct volume and prevents inflammatory damage after transient focal cerebral ischemia in the ratAlvaro Cervera
Stroke Unit, Neurology Service, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
J Neurosci Res 77:565-72. 2004..These findings support further testing of the clinical value of parenteral, adjusted, high-dose UH in patients with acute stroke...
- Magnetic resonance perfusion diffusion mismatch, thrombolysis, and clinical outcome in acute strokeAngel Chamorro
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 78:443. 2007
- Intronic c.573 + 79G>A polymorphism of protein Z gene in haemorrhagic and ischaemic strokeVictor Obach
Thromb Haemost 95:1040-1. 2006
- Why does acute hyperglycemia worsen the outcome of transient focal cerebral ischemia? Role of corticosteroids, inflammation, and protein O-glycosylationAbraham Martin
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques de Barcelona Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barrcelona, Spain
Stroke 37:1288-95. 2006..Here we sought to evaluate the negative effects of hyperglycemia on transient focal ischemia in the rat, and to test whether these could be prevented by inhibition of either corticosteroid production or neutrophil infiltration...