Affiliation: Universidad de Sevilla
- Plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance: an updateJosé Manuel Rodríguez-Martínez
Department of Microbiology, University of Seville, Avda Sanchez Pizjuan s n, 41009, Seville, Spain
J Infect Chemother 17:149-82. 2011..One important point is that although these mechanisms cause only low-level resistance, they favor and complement the selection of other resistance mechanisms...
- Clinical and molecular epidemiology of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus causing bacteraemia in Southern SpainC Velasco
Departamento de Microbiologia, Universidad de Sevilla, Av Sánchez Pizjuán S N, Seville, Spain
J Hosp Infect 81:257-63. 2012..There is a need to monitor the situation using a combination of molecular and clinical data because, although MRSA clones tend to predominate over wide geographical areas, clonal shifts may take place...
- Analysis of plasmids encoding extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (ESBLs) from Escherichia coli isolated from non-hospitalised patients in SevilleCarmen Velasco
Department of Microbiology, Universidad de Sevilla, Spain
Int J Antimicrob Agents 29:89-92. 2007..Our data suggest that a single type or very closely related plasmids harbouring CTX-M-14 are spreading in the community among unrelated E. coli isolates in our area...
- Smaqnr, a new chromosome-encoded quinolone resistance determinant in Serratia marcescensC Velasco
Department of Microbiology, University of Seville, Seville, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:239-42. 2010..A new pentapeptide repeat (PRP) protein, named SmaQnr, from the clinically relevant species Serratia marcescens, which decreased susceptibility to quinolones when expressed in Escherichia coli, is reported herein...
- Long-term control of endemic hospital-wide methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA): the impact of targeted active surveillance for MRSA in patients and healthcare workersJesús Rodríguez-Baño
Seccion de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario Virgen Macarena, and the Departamento de Medicina, Universidad de Sevilla, Sevilla, Spain
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 31:786-95. 2010..To evaluate the long-term impact of successive interventions on rates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) colonization or infection and MRSA bacteremia in an endemic hospital-wide situation...
- Neonatal sepsis caused by a CTX-M-32-producing Escherichia coli isolateLorena López-Cerero
Microbiology Department, University Hospital Virgen Macarena, Faculty of Medicine, University of Seville, Seville, Spain
J Med Microbiol 57:1303-5. 2008..Increased dissemination of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing E. coli in the community should be borne in mind for empirical therapy of sepsis in high-risk newborns...
- Comparative in vitro activity of ertapenem against extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae isolated in SpainJose R Hernandez
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Seville, Av Sánchez Pizjuán S N, 41009 Seville, Spain
Int J Antimicrob Agents 28:457-9. 2006..Ertapenem activity was similar to that of imipenem and meropenem and better than that of the other antimicrobials tested. No differences in activity were observed regarding the origin of the isolates or type of ESBL produced...
- Long-term control of hospital-wide, endemic multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii through a comprehensive "bundle" approachJesús Rodríguez-Baño
Sección Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital Universitario Virgen Macarena and Departamento de Medicina, Universidad de Sevilla, Sevilla, Spain
Am J Infect Control 37:715-22. 2009..Here, we investigated the impact of a long-term multifaceted "bundle" approach in controlling endemic MDR Ab in a 950-bed tertiary care center...
- [Fresh versus pasteurized yogurt: comparative study of the effects on microbiological and immunological parameters, and gastrointestinal comfort]Sofía Ballesta
Departamento de Microbiología de la Facultad de Medicina Universidad de Sevilla, Avenida de Sánchez Pizjuán s n, Seville, Spain
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 26:552-7. 2008..To determine whether the beneficial effects of yogurt are dependent on the viability of lactic bacteria and exclusive to fresh yogurt, by comparison with the effects of yogurt that is pasteurized after fermentation...
- Resistance to imipenem and zinc in clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosaCarmen Velasco
Int J Antimicrob Agents 28:377-8. 2006
- Roxithromycin-induced eosinophilic pneumoniaJose L Perez-Castrillon
Ann Pharmacother 36:1808-9. 2002