- Levofloxacin for the treatment of respiratory tract infectionsAntoni Torres
University of Barcelona, Respiratory Department, Villarroel 170 Barcelona 08036, Spain
Expert Opin Pharmacother 13:1203-12. 2012..Its improved bioavailability and safety profile makes the possibility of shorter hospital stays a reality...
- Biomarkers and community-acquired pneumonia: tailoring management with biological dataAntoni Torres
Department of Pneumology, Clinic Institute of Thorax, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Semin Respir Crit Care Med 33:266-71. 2012..Data from the literature appear to support the use of biomarkers in routine clinical practice to improve the decision making in CAP...
- Pandemic and post-pandemic influenza A (H1N1) infection in critically ill patientsIgnacio Martin-Loeches
Critical Care Center, Parc Taulí Hospital Sabadell, CibeRes, Sabadell, Spain
Crit Care 15:R286. 2011..There is a vast amount of information published regarding the impact of 2009 pandemic Influenza A (pH1N1) virus infection. However, a comparison of risk factors and outcome during the 2010-2011 post-pandemic period has not been described...
- Colour of sputum is a marker for bacterial colonisation in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseMarc Miravitlles
Fundació Clínic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, CIBER de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Barcelona, Spain
Respir Res 11:58. 2010..Bacterial colonisation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) contributes to airway inflammation and modulates exacerbations. We assessed risk factors for bacterial colonisation in COPD...
- Does ventilator-associated tracheobronchitis need antibiotic treatment?Antonio Torres
Department of Pulmonology and Critical Care, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Facultat de Medicina, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Crit Care 9:255-6. 2005..We will discuss the strengths and drawbacks of the article on this topic published in this issue by Nseir et al...
- Microbiologic features and outcome of pneumonia in transplanted patientsCarlos Cervera
Services of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 55:47-54. 2006..001). SOT patients with nosocomial pneumonia, or those who needed mechanical ventilation, had a high mortality rate and benefits from the fiberoptic diagnostic techniques...
- Treatment failure in patients with ventilator-associated pneumoniaAmalia Alcón Domínguez
Anesthesia Department, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Semin Respir Crit Care Med 27:104-14. 2006..Treatment failure can be defined by the pattern of resolution of VAP, which is clearly established in the literature...
- Assessment of the usefulness of sputum culture for diagnosis of community-acquired pneumonia using the PORT predictive scoring systemElisa García-Vázquez
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Arch Intern Med 164:1807-11. 2004..The usefulness of sputum culture in guiding microbiological diagnosis of community-acquired pneumonia is controversial. We evaluate and assess it using the Patients Outcome Research Team (PORT) predictive scoring system...
- Influenza pneumonia: a comparison between seasonal influenza virus and the H1N1 pandemicR Riquelme
Universidad San Sebastian, Servicia de Medicina Interna, Hospital de Puerto Montt, Puerto Montt, Spain
Eur Respir J 38:106-11. 2011....
- Guideline tyranny: a response to the article by Baum and KaltsasLionel Mandell
Clin Infect Dis 47:1117-8. 2008
- Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society consensus guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adultsLionel A Mandell
McMaster University Medical School, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 44:S27-72. 2007
- The PIRO concept: I is for infectionJean Louis Vincent
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Crit Care 7:252-5. 2003
- Accuracy of BRT and Delvotest microbial inhibition tests as affected by composition of ewe's milkRafael Althaus
Departamento de Ciencia Animal, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, Camino de Vera, 14, Apartado 22012, 46071 Valencia, Spain
J Food Prot 66:473-8. 2003..18 mg/liter versus 6.85 mg/liter). Further analyses are needed to confirm the possible presence of antimicrobial residues in this particular type of milk sample...