- Ultrastructural characteristics of distal duodenum mucosa in patients with cirrhosisJose Such
Liver Unit, University General Hospital of Alicante, Miguel Hernandez University, 03010 Alicante, Spain
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 14:371-6. 2002..The aim of this observational study was to investigate the ultrastructural characteristics of the intestinal epithelial layer of duodenum mucosa in patients with cirrhosis...
- Detection and identification of bacterial DNA in patients with cirrhosis and culture-negative, nonneutrocytic ascitesJose Such
Unidad Hepática, Hospital General Universitario, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Campus de San Juan, San Juan de Alicante, c Pintor Baeza s n, 03010 Alicante, Spain
Hepatology 36:135-41. 2002..In conclusion, we have detected bactDNA in serum and AF in 32% of all patients studied, and this likely represents single clone episodes of translocation and systemic seeding. E. coli is the most frequently identified bacteria...
- Nitric oxide in ascitic fluid is an independent predictor of the development of renal impairment in patients with cirrhosis and spontaneous bacterial peritonitisJose Such
Liver Unit and Department of Immunology, Hospital General Universitario, Alicante, Spain
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:571-7. 2004..Our aim was to assess whether patients with ascitic fluid infection show increased levels of nitric oxide, and whether this is related to the development of renal impairment...
- Nitric oxide in patients with cirrhosis and bacterial infectionsJose Such
Liver Unit, Hospital General Universitario, Alicante, Spain
Metab Brain Dis 17:303-9. 2002....
- Norfloxacin modulates the inflammatory response and directly affects neutrophils in patients with decompensated cirrhosisPedro Zapater
Sección de Farmacología Clínica, Hospital General Universitario, Alicante, and Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Elche, Spain
Gastroenterology 137:1669-79.e1. 2009..Patients with cirrhosis undergoing selective intestinal decontamination with norfloxacin show a reduction in serum cytokine levels, probably because of a combined effect of norfloxacin on bowel flora and neutrophils...
- Proteomic evidence of bacterial peptide translocation in afebrile patients with cirrhosis and ascitesRocío Caño
Unidad Hepática, Hospital General Universitario, Avda Pintor Baeza 12, 03010, Alicante, Spain
J Mol Med (Berl) 88:487-95. 2010..Bacterial peptide translocation is present in the ascitic fluid of a subgroup of patients with advanced cirrhosis and is associated with an increased immune response...
- Serum and ascitic fluid bacterial DNA: a new independent prognostic factor in noninfected patients with cirrhosisPedro Zapater
Unidad Hepática, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Elche, Alicante, Spain
Hepatology 48:1924-31. 2008..This fact may be related to the development of acute-on-chronic liver failure at short term and does not predict the development of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis...
- A sequential study of serum bacterial DNA in patients with advanced cirrhosis and ascitesRubén Francés
Unidad Hepática Sección de Inmunología, Alicante, Spain
Hepatology 39:484-91. 2004..In conclusion, bacterial translocation is a single-species, dynamic process that appears to develop in a subgroup of patients with advanced cirrhosis...
- Intracellular cytokine expression in peritoneal monocyte/macrophages obtained from patients with cirrhosis and presence of bacterial DNARubén Francés
Seccion de Inmunologia, Hospital General Universitario, Alicante, Spain
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:45-51. 2005..Since different cell types give rise to cytokines, flow cytometry becomes a powerful tool to discriminate between populations involved in a bacterial challenge...
- Acute and chronic hemodynamic changes after propranolol in patients with cirrhosis under primary and secondary prophylaxis of variceal bleeding: a pilot studyEnrique de-Madaria
Unidad Hepática, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:507-12. 2010..Our aim was to determine whether the response of the hepatic venous pressure gradient (HVPG) to the intravenous administration of propranolol predicts the response after chronic oral propranolol treatment...
- Usefulness of surveillance programmes for early diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma in clinical practiceSonia Pascual
Liver Unit, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
Liver Int 28:682-9. 2008..The aims of this study have been to compare the survival of patients with HCC being diagnosed or not in SPs, and to establish a more accurate profile of the best target population...
- [Treatment of refractory hepatic encephalopathy associated with insertion of a transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt through new endovascular techniques: a case report]Belén Martínez Moreno
Unidad Hepática, Hospital General y Universitario de Alicante, Alicante, Espana
Gastroenterol Hepatol 34:468-73. 2011..We report the case of a patient who underwent TIPS insertion to control bleeding due to esophageal varices. The patient subsequently developed refractory hepatic encephalopathy, requiring reduction of the caliber of the shunt...
- Interleukin-10-mediated heme oxygenase 1-induced underlying mechanism in inflammatory down-regulation by norfloxacin in cirrhosisIsabel Gómez-Hurtado
Hepatic Unit and Clinical Pharmacology Service, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Elche, Alicante, Spain
Hepatology 53:935-44. 2011....
- Intestinal permeability is increased in patients with advanced cirrhosisSonia Pascual
Liver Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, University General Hospital of Alicante C Pintor Baeza s n, Alicante 03010, Spain
Hepatogastroenterology 50:1482-6. 2003..The aim of this study was to investigate if the alterations of the intestinal barrier in cirrhosis are related with the degree of liver failure and associated with other clinical complications...
- Causality assessment of liver injury after chronic oral amiodarone intakeLucía Llanos
Clinical Pharmacology Section, University General Hospital, Alicante, Spain
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 18:291-300. 2009..As clinically significant hepatotoxicity associated with oral amiodarone is infrequent and difficult to predict, a new Bayesian-developed model is proposed to help in the causality assessment of amiodarone-induced liver injury...
- Bacterial DNA translocation is associated with systemic circulatory abnormalities and intrahepatic endothelial dysfunction in patients with cirrhosisPablo Bellot
Hepatic Hemodynamic Laboratory, Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Hepatology 52:2044-52. 2010..Conclusion: Presence of bacterial DNA, a marker of bacterial translocation, is associated with aggravation of peripheral vasodilation and with worsening of intrahepatic endothelial dysfunction...
- Antimicrobial peptide response to blood translocation of bacterial DNA in Crohn's disease is affected by NOD2/CARD15 genotypeAna Gutierrez
Servicio de Medicina Digestiva, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
Inflamm Bowel Dis 17:1641-50. 2011..The aim was to test whether defensins and cathelicidin (LL-37) expression and NOD2/CARD15 mutations in blood neutrophils are related to molecular bacterial translocation events in CD patients...
- Development of an experimental model of induced bacterial peritonitis in cirrhotic rats with or without ascitesElisabet Sánchez
Liver Unit, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Autonomous University, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Gastroenterol 102:1230-6. 2007..Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP) is a severe complication of cirrhotic patients associated with a high mortality...
- Low-level HIV viremia is associated with microbial translocation and inflammationSergio Reus
Infectious Disease Unit, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 62:129-34. 2013..The aim of this study was to determine whether strict control of HIV-VL is associated with MT and chronic inflammation...
- [Bacterial translocation in cirrhosis]Pablo Bellot
Unidad de Hepatologia, Hospital General Universitario, Alicante, Espana
Gastroenterol Hepatol 31:508-14. 2008..This article provides a detailed description of the abnormalities present in patients with cirrhosis that allow the existence of TB and the immune and clinical repercussions of this phenomenon...
- Cytokine association with bacterial DNA in serum of patients with inflammatory bowel diseaseAna Gutierrez
Servicio de Medicina Digestiva, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Spain
Inflamm Bowel Dis 15:508-14. 2009..Blood microbiological cultures, however, are frequently negative. The aim was to evaluate the presence of bacterial DNA (bactDNA) and the associated cytokine response in patients with IBD...
- Clinical significance of extrapyramidal signs in patients with cirrhosisRodrigo Jover
Department of Gastroenterology Liver Unit, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, C Pintor Baeza, sn, E 03010 Alicante, Spain
J Hepatol 42:659-65. 2005..The aims of this study have been to investigate the relationship between extrapyramidal signs and cognitive impairment, and what is their influence on quality of life...
- Hepatotoxicity related to paraquat and diquat absorption through intact skinAna M Peiró
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Hospital General de Alicante, Pintor Baeza, S N, 03010, Alicante, Spain
Dig Dis Sci 52:3282-4. 2007
- Comparison of staging systems to predict survival in hepatocellular carcinomaSonia Pascual
Liver Unit, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
Liver Int 26:673-9. 2006..Some new staging systems in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) have been described in the last years. The aim of this study was to compare the survival-predicting capacity of some variables and the prognostic classifications...
- Primary prophylaxis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis delays hepatorenal syndrome and improves survival in cirrhosisJavier Fernandez
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 133:818-24. 2007..Norfloxacin is highly effective in preventing spontaneous bacterial peritonitis recurrence in cirrhosis, but its role in the primary prevention of this complication is uncertain...
- Comparison of stool immunoassay with standard methods for detection of Helicobacter pylori infection in patients with upper-gastrointestinal bleeding of peptic originPilar Griñó
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, University General Hospital, Miguel Hernandez University, Alicante, Spain
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 15:525-9. 2003....
- Pathological bacterial translocation in cirrhosis: pathophysiology, diagnosis and clinical implicationsPablo Bellot
Liver Unit, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante and Miguel Hernández University, Elche, Alicante, Spain
Liver Int 33:31-9. 2013....
- A new Poisson and Bayesian-based method to assign risk and causality in patients with suspected hepatic adverse drug reactions: a report of two new cases of ticlopidine-induced hepatotoxicityPedro Zapater
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, University General Hospital of Alicante and Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Faculty of Medicine, University Miguel Hernandez, San Juan de Alicante, Spain
Drug Saf 25:735-50. 2002..The diagnosis of drug-induced hepatotoxicity is based on circumstantial evidence and is often inaccurate. We have designed a method based on published data to assign causality to suspected cases of drug-induced hepatotoxicity...
- Phenotypic differences during the osteogenic differentiation of single cell-derived clones isolated from human lipoaspiratesBeatriz Paredes
Instituto de Bioingenieria, Universidad Miguel Hernandez de Elche, Alicante, Spain
J Tissue Eng Regen Med 5:589-99. 2011..Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd...