J B Soriano
- High prevalence of undiagnosed airflow limitation in patients with cardiovascular diseaseJoan B Soriano
Fundació Caubet CIMERA Illes Balears, CIMERA, Bunyola, Spain
Chest 137:333-40. 2010..The prevalence of airflow limitation (AL) in patients with cardiovascular disease (CVD) is unknown, and whether AL is adequately diagnosed and treated in these patients has not been investigated before, to our knowledge...
- Distribution and prognostic validity of the new Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease grading classificationJoan B Soriano
Fundación Caubet Cimera Centro Internacional de Medicina Respiratoria Avanzada, Bunyola, Spain
Chest 143:694-702. 2013..We aimed to determine their distribution in 11 well-defined COPD cohorts and their prognostic validity up to 10 years to predict time to death...
- InternationaL cross-sectIonAl and longItudinal assessment on aSthma cONtrol in European adult patients--the LIAISON study protocolFulvio Braido
Allergy and Respiratory Diseases Clinic, University of Genoa, IRCCS AOU San Martino, Genoa, Italy
BMC Pulm Med 13:18. 2013..The 'InternationaL cross-sectIonAl and longItudinal assessment on aSthma cONtrol (LIAISON)' observational study has been designed to evaluate asthma control and its determinants, including components of asthma management...
- The general public's knowledge of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and its determinants: current situation and recent changesJoan B Soriano
Programa de Epidemiología e Investigación Clínica Fundación Caubet CIMERA Illes Balears, Bunyola, Islas Baleares, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 48:308-15. 2012..The objective of this study was to determine the level of knowledge about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and its determinants in the general population of Spain, and to compare it with a similar survey conducted in 2002...
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a worldwide problemJoan B Soriano
Fundació Caubet CIMERA Illes Balears, Recinte Hospital Joan March, Mallorca, Illes Balears, Spain
Med Clin North Am 96:671-80. 2012..This review summarizes the magnitude of the COPD problem at the population and individual levels...
- Spirometrically-defined restrictive ventilatory defect: population variability and individual determinantsJoan B Soriano
Fundació Caubet CIMERA, Bunyola, Spain
Prim Care Respir J 21:187-93. 2012..A spirometrically-defined restrictive ventilatory defect is a common finding when performing spirometry...
- Identification and diversity of multiresistant Corynebacterium striatum clinical isolates by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry and by a multigene sequencing approachMargarita Gomila
Unidad de Investigación Microbiología, Fundación Hospital Son Llàtzer, Ctra, Manacor, km, 4, 07198 Palma de Mallorca, Illes Balears, Spain
BMC Microbiol 12:52. 2012..Strains were also characterised phenotypically by their antibiotic resistance profiles and by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry analysis...
- Systemic inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a population-based studyFrancisco Garcia-Rio
Pneumology Service, Hospital Universitario La Paz, IdiPAZ, Madrid, Spain
Respir Res 11:63. 2010..The aims of this study were to compare the levels of several systemic biomarkers between stable COPD patients and healthy subjects from a population-based sample, and to assess their distribution according to clinical variables...
- [Geographical variations in the prevalence of COPD in Spain: relationship to smoking, death rates and other determining factors]Joan B Soriano
Fundación Caubet CIMERA, Illes Balears, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 46:522-30. 2010..2% of the 40 to 80 years population. Little is known about the current geographical variation of COPD in Spain...
- Set-up and pilot of a population cohort for the study of the natural history of COPD and OSA: the PULSAIB studyJoan B Soriano
Program of Epidemiology and Clinical Research, CIMERA, Fundación Caubet CIMERA Illes Balears, Bunyola, Mallorca, Spain
Prim Care Respir J 19:140-7. 2010....
- [Causes of mortality in COPD]Joan B Soriano Ortiz
Programa de Epidemiología e Investigación Clínica, Fundación Caubet CIMERA, Illes Balears, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 45:8-13. 2009..Fortunately, in the latest updates, guidelines for the management and treatment of the disease identify reduction of mortality as one of the main clinical objectives to be achieved in these patients...
- Recent trends in COPD prevalence in Spain: a repeated cross-sectional survey 1997-2007J B Soriano
Fundació Caubet CIMERA, Illes Balears, Mallorca, Spain
Eur Respir J 36:758-65. 2010....
- Screening for and early detection of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseJoan B Soriano
CIMERA International Center for Advanced Respiratory Medicine, Recinte Hospital Joan March, Bunyola, Spain
Lancet 374:721-32. 2009..All in all, spirometry is recognised as the essential test for diagnosis and monitoring of COPD...
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease overview: epidemiology, risk factors, and clinical presentationJoan B Soriano
Fundacio n Caubet CIMERA Illes Balears, Bunyola, Spain
Proc Am Thorac Soc 8:363-7. 2011..Hopefully, the COPD clinical course will shift to better outcomes and prognosis than in the past...
- A pooled analysis of FEV1 decline in COPD patients randomized to inhaled corticosteroids or placeboJoan B Soriano
Head, Program of Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Fundació Caubet CIMERA Illes Balears, International Centre for Advanced Respiratory Medicine, Recinte Hospital Joan March, Bunyola, Mallorca, Spain
Chest 131:682-9. 2007..There is controversy about whether therapy with inhaled corticosteroids (ICSs) modifies the natural history of COPD, characterized by an accelerated decline in FEV(1)...
- The natural history of chronic airflow obstruction revisited: an analysis of the Framingham offspring cohortRobab Kohansal
Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Fundación Caubet CIMERA Illes Balears, Recinte Hospital Joan March, 07110 Bunyola, Illes Balears, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:3-10. 2009..Understanding normal lung development and aging in health and disease, both in men and in women, is essential to interpreting any therapeutic intervention...
- Effectiveness of pulmonary rehabilitation in reducing health resources use in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseMateu Rubí
Respiratory Unit, Hospital Joan March, Bunyola, Spain
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 91:364-8. 2010..PR is recommended in advanced COPD, but there is limited evidence on the effectiveness of PR in reducing health care resources when applied in outpatients...
- Investigating the natural history of lung function: facts, pitfalls, and opportunitiesRobab Kohansal
Program of Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Fundación Caubet CIMERA Illes Balears, Recinte Hospital Joan March, Illes Balears, Spain
Chest 135:1330-41. 2009..Finally, some characteristics of an "ideal" study on the natural history of lung function decline are recommended, both in health and disease...
- Nosocomial outbreak of Corynebacterium striatum infection in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseFeliu Renom
Respiratory Unit, Hospital Joan March, Carretera Palma Sóller, Bunyola, Illes Balears, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 45:2064-7. 2007..C. striatum is a potentially pathogenic microorganism with the ability to produce nosocomial infectious outbreaks and respiratory colonization in patients with advanced COPD...
- COPD as a systemic diseaseAlvar Agusti
Fundación Caubet CIMERA Illes Balears, Mallorca, Spain
COPD 5:133-8. 2008....