Genomes and Genes
- The tumor suppressor protein p16INK4aM Serrano
Department of Immunology and Oncology, Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia, CSIC, Madrid, Spain
Exp Cell Res 237:7-13. 1997..p16INK4a is part of a cell-cycle regulatory pathway that converges in the tumor suppressor protein Rb. The mechanisms that regulate p16INK4a are starting to be characterized...
- Putting the stress on senescenceM Serrano
Department of Immunology and Oncology, National Center of Biotechnology CSIC, Campus de Cantoblanco, Madrid E 28049, Spain
Curr Opin Cell Biol 13:748-53. 2001..Importantly, the analysis of the various aspects and types of senescence has turned out to be very informative about numerous in vivo processes, and particularly about carcinogenesis...
- The INK4a/ARF locus in murine tumorigenesisM Serrano
Department of Immunology and Oncology, Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia, Campus de Cantoblanco, Madrid E 28049, Spain
Carcinogenesis 21:865-9. 2000..Here, I review the evidence accumulated on the involvement of the INK4a/ARF locus in murine tumorigenesis. Also, I summarize the phenotype of the different transgenic mouse models based on the inactivation of the INK4a/ARF locus...
- The downregulation of the pro-apoptotic protein Par-4 is critical for Ras-induced survival and tumor progressionM Barradas
, , , Canto Blanco, Madrid, Spain
EMBO J 18:6362-9. 1999..This indicates that the downregulation of Par-4 by oncogenic Ras is a critical event in tumor progression...
- Normal cellular senescence and cancer susceptibility in mice genetically deficient in Ras-induced senescence-1 (Ris1)M Nieto
Tumor Suppression Group, Spanish National Cancer Center CNIO, Madrid, Spain
Oncogene 26:1673-80. 2007..These findings do not support a role of Ris1 in tumor suppression or in OIS...
- SIRT1 stabilizes PML promoting its sumoylationM Campagna
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia, CSIC, Campus Universidad Autonoma, Madrid 28049, Spain
Cell Death Differ 18:72-9. 2011..These results show a novel function of SIRT1 in the control of PML and PML-NBs...
- Regulation of the tumor suppressor PTEN by SUMOJ González-Santamaría
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia, CSIC, Campus Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Cell Death Dis 3:e393. 2012..Moreover, we found that virus infection induces PTEN SUMOylation and favors PTEN localization at the cell membrane. Finally, we demonstrated that SUMOylation contributes to the control of virus infection by PTEN...
- SIRT1 promotes thyroid carcinogenesis driven by PTEN deficiencyD Herranz
Tumor Suppression Group, Spanish National Cancer Research Center CNIO, Madrid, Spain
Oncogene 32:4052-6. 2013..Finally, we show in cultured thyroid cancer cells that SIRT1 stabilizes c-MYC protein. These results implicate SIRT1 as a new candidate target for the treatment of thyroid carcinomas...
- Genetic dissection of the role of p21Cip1/Waf1 in p53-mediated tumour suppressionA Efeyan
Molecular Oncology Program, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Madrid, Spain
Oncogene 26:1645-9. 2007..We conclude that cell-cycle arrest through p21 plays a significant role in mediating p53-dependent cancer protection...
- Linkage mapping of ovine cysteine and histidine-rich protein gene (CYHR1) to chromosome 9J H Calvo
Departamento de Mejora Genética Animal, INIA, Madrid, Spain
Anim Genet 35:263-4. 2004
- Salermide, a Sirtuin inhibitor with a strong cancer-specific proapoptotic effectE Lara
Cancer Epigenetics Laboratory, Spanish National Cancer Research Centre CNIO, Madrid, Spain
Oncogene 28:781-91. 2009..Taken together, our results underline Salermide's promise as an anticancer drug and provide evidence for the molecular mechanism through which Sirt1 is involved in human tumorigenesis...
- Reprogramming activity of NANOGP8, a NANOG family member widely expressed in cancerA R Palla
Tumour Suppression Group, Molecular Oncology Programme, Spanish National Cancer Research Center CNIO, Madrid, Spain
Oncogene 33:2513-9. 2014..These results show that cancer-associated NANOGP8 can contribute to promote de-differentiation and/or cellular plasticity. ..
- A functional link between the tumour suppressors ARF and p33ING1L Gonzalez
Institute of Biomedical Research, CSIC UAM, Arturo Duperier 4, Madrid, Spain
Oncogene 25:5173-9. 2006..Based on these observations, we propose that the interaction with p33ING1 represents a novel mechanism for the tumour suppression function of ARF...
- Identification of the gene immediately downstream of the murine INK4a/ARF locusC Pantoja
Department of Immunology and Oncology, National Center of Biotechnology, Campus de Cantoblanco, Madrid E 28049, Spain
Exp Gerontol 36:1289-302. 2001..Finally, these data identify the gene immediately downstream of the INK4a/ARF locus, a region that has been previously proposed to contain another tumor suppressor different from the INK4a/ARF genes...
- Tumorigenic activity of p21Waf1/Cip1 in thymic lymphomaE de la Cueva
Unit of Animal Experimentation, Spanish National Cancer Center CNIO, Madrid, Spain
Oncogene 25:4128-32. 2006..Together, our results indicate that p21 plays an oncogenic role restricted to thymic lymphomas that is mechanistically independent of p53 and associated to a lower tumor apoptotic rate...
- Oncogenic ras provokes premature cell senescence associated with accumulation of p53 and p16INK4aM Serrano
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York 11724, USA
Cell 88:593-602. 1997..Negation of ras-induced senescence may be relevant during multistep tumorigenesis...
- Role of the INK4a locus in tumor suppression and cell mortalityM Serrano
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York, 11724 USA
Cell 85:27-37. 1996..These findings directly demonstrate that the INK4a locus functions to suppress neoplastic growth...
- Association of the heart fatty acid-binding protein (FABP3) gene with milk traits in Manchega breed sheepJ H Calvo
Departamento de Mejora Genética Animal, INIA, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Anim Genet 35:347-9. 2004..These results could indicate linkage disequilibrium between the FABP3 gene and a quantitative trait loci (QTL) for FC, with the heterozygous genotype associated with a positive effect in this trait...
- Characterization, genetic variation and chromosomal assignment to sheep chromosome 2 of the ovine heart fatty acid-binding protein gene (FABP3)J H Calvo
Departamento de Mejora Genética Animal, INIA, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Cytogenet Genome Res 98:270-3. 2002..This poly A tract was found in association with a SINE/artiodactyls repeat. In addition, two SNPs were screened in different sheep breeds...
- Cloning and characterization of murine p16INK4a and p15INK4b genesD E Quelle
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Oncogene 11:635-45. 1995..Expression vectors encoding human or mouse p16INK4a caused G1 phase arrest in NIH3T3 fibroblasts, and cyclin D1- and cdk4-dependent pRb kinase activities were inhibited in the p16INK4a-arrested cells...
- A p16INK4a-insensitive CDK4 mutant targeted by cytolytic T lymphocytes in a human melanomaT Wolfel
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat, Mainz, Germany
Science 269:1281-4. 1995..These results suggest that mutation of CDK4 can create a tumor-specific antigen and can disrupt the cell-cycle regulation exerted by the tumor suppressor p16INK4a...
- Association of rat p15INK4B/p16INK4 deletions with monosomy 5 in kidney epithelial cell lines but not primary renal tumorsD F Knapek
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Smithville 78957, USA
Cancer Res 55:1607-12. 1995....
- Mutations and altered expression of p16INK4 in human cancerA Okamoto
Laboratory of Human Carcinogenesis, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:11045-9. 1994....
- A new regulatory motif in cell-cycle control causing specific inhibition of cyclin D/CDK4M Serrano
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York 11724
Nature 366:704-7. 1993..p16 seems to act in a regulatory feedback circuit with CDK4, D-type cyclins and retinoblastoma protein...
- Inactivation of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p15INK4b by deletion and de novo methylation with independence of p16INK4a alterations in murine primary T-cell lymphomasM Malumbres
Department of Pathology and Kaplan Comprehensive Cancer Center, New York University Medical Center, New York 10016, USA
Oncogene 14:1361-70. 1997..Moreover, they show the importance of allelic losses and CpG island methylation of p15INK4b gene inactivation and support a tumor suppressor role for p15INK4b in T-cell lymphomas independent of p16INK4a...
- Crystal structure of the complex of the cyclin D-dependent kinase Cdk6 bound to the cell-cycle inhibitor p19INK4dD H Brotherton
Cambridge Centre for Molecular Recognition, Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, UK
Nature 395:244-50. 1998..Identification of the critical residues involved in the interaction explains how mutations in Cdk4 and p16INK4a result in loss of kinase inhibition and cancer...
- Mouse p73 gene maps to the distal part of chromosome 4 and might be involved in the progression of gamma-radiation-induced T-cell lymphomasM Herranz
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain
Cancer Res 59:2068-71. 1999..6% (16 of 49) of the tumors analyzed. Interestingly, allelic losses occur concurrently at both p73 and D4Mit205b, thus suggesting that p73 could be specifically inactivated in radiation-induced T-cell lymphomas...
- The ink4a/arf tumor suppressors cooperate with p21cip1/waf in the processes of mouse epidermal differentiation, senescence, and carcinogenesisJ M Paramio
Cell, Molecular Biology, and Gene Therapy Project, CIEMAT, Avenida Complutense 22, E 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Biol Chem 276:44203-11. 2001..These results indicate that ink4a/arf and cip1/waf genes cooperate to allow normal keratinocyte differentiation and that the absence of both favors malignant transformation...
- Mutations associated with familial melanoma impair p16INK4 functionK Ranade
Nat Genet 10:114-6. 1995..Our data provide a biochemical rationale for the hypothesis that carriers of certain p16INK4 mutations are at increased risk of developing melanoma...