Genomes and Genes
- A role for LKB1 gene in human cancer beyond the Peutz-Jeghers syndromeM Sanchez-Cespedes
Molecular Pathology Programme, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Melchor Fernandez Almagro, Madrid, Spain
Oncogene 26:7825-32. 2007..The present review considers the frequency and pattern of LKB1 gene mutations in sporadic cancers of various origins, and the role of the encoded protein in cancer development...
- Inactivation of LKB1/STK11 is a common event in adenocarcinomas of the lungMontserrat Sanchez-Cespedes
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Head and Neck Cancer Research Division, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2196, USA
Cancer Res 62:3659-62. 2002..Thus, our findings demonstrate for the first time that LKB1/STK11 inactivation is a very common event and may be integrally involved in the development of sporadic lung adenocarcinoma...
- The impact of gene expression microarrays in the evaluation of lung carcinoma subtypes and DNA copy numberMontserrat Sanchez-Cespedes
Lung Cancer Group, Molecular Pathology Program, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Calle Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Arch Pathol Lab Med 132:1562-5. 2008..Among the more pressing needs are the identification of the complete catalog of genes that are altered in cancer and the accurate discrimination of tumors based on their genetic background...
- Dissecting the genetic alterations involved in lung carcinogenesisMontserrat Sanchez-Cespedes
Molecular Pathology Program, Spanish National Cancer Center, C Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Lung Cancer 40:111-21. 2003..The present review describes the catalog of known genetic alterations and the recent advances in global expression profiles in lung tumors and briefly discusses their use in clinical management...
- Transgenic mice expressing constitutively active Akt in oral epithelium validate KLFA as a potential biomarker of head and neck squamous cell carcinomaMarta Moral
Molecular Oncology Unit, Division of Biomedicine, CIEMAT, Madrid, Spain
In Vivo 23:653-60. 2009..Previously, we reported that mice expressing high levels of constitutively Akt activity (myrAkt) in oral epithelia develop lesions and tumors in the oral cavity...
- Transcriptional targets of the chromatin-remodelling factor SMARCA4/BRG1 in lung cancer cellsPedro P Medina
Lung Cancer Group, Molecular Pathology Programme, Spanish National Cancer Centre, C Melchior Fernandez Almagro 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Hum Mol Genet 14:973-82. 2005....
- Genetic and epigenetic screening for gene alterations of the chromatin-remodeling factor, SMARCA4/BRG1, in lung tumorsPedro P Medina
Lymphoma and Lung Cancer Group, Molecular Pathology Program Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Madrid, Spain
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 41:170-7. 2004..We cannot rule out that other mechanisms, such as complete or partial deletions of the SMARCA4 gene, are contributing to the loss of the SMARCA4 protein in lung cancer...
- Germ-line variants in methyl-group metabolism genes and susceptibility to DNA methylation in normal tissues and human primary tumorsMaria F Paz
Cancer Epigenetics Laboratory, Molecular Pathology Program, Spanish National Cancer Research Center CNIO, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Cancer Res 62:4519-24. 2002..029). The existence of these associations may provide another example of the interplay between genetic and epigenetic factors in the cancer cell...
- Distinctive gene expression of human lung adenocarcinomas carrying LKB1 mutationsPaloma Fernandez
Lymphomas and Lung Cancer Laboratory, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Madrid, Spain
Oncogene 23:5084-91. 2004....
- Epigenetic inactivation of the premature aging Werner syndrome gene in human cancerRuben Agrelo
Cancer Epigenetics Laboratory, Spanish National Cancer Centre, Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:8822-7. 2006..These findings highlight the importance of WRN epigenetic inactivation in human cancer, leading to enhanced chromosomal instability and hypersensitivity to chemotherapeutic drugs...
- Genetic unmasking of an epigenetically silenced microRNA in human cancer cellsAmaia Lujambio
Cancer Epigenetics Laboratory and Lung Cancer Laboratory, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Cancer Res 67:1424-9. 2007..Interestingly, we functionally link the epigenetic loss of miRNA-124a with the activation of cyclin D kinase 6, a bona fide oncogenic factor, and the phosphorylation of the retinoblastoma, a tumor suppressor gene...
- Molecular context of the EGFR mutations: evidence for the activation of mTOR/S6K signalingEsther Conde
Lung Cancer Group, Spanish National Cancer Centre, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Clin Cancer Res 12:710-7. 2006....
- Specific pattern of LKB1 and phospho-acetyl-CoA carboxylase protein immunostaining in human normal tissues and lung carcinomasEsther Conde
Lung Cancer Group, Pathology Programme, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Hum Pathol 38:1351-60. 2007....
- A microRNA DNA methylation signature for human cancer metastasisAmaia Lujambio
Cancer Epigenetics Laboratory, Spanish National Cancer Research Center, Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:13556-61. 2008..Our findings indicate that DNA methylation-associated silencing of tumor suppressor miRNAs contributes to the development of human cancer metastasis...
- Screening of homologous recombination gene polymorphisms in lung cancer patients reveals an association of the NBS1-185Gln variant and p53 gene mutationsPedro P Medina
Molecular Pathology Program, Spanish National Cancer Center CNIO, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 12:699-704. 2003..42 for heterozygous and odds ratio = 38.3 for NBS1-185Gln homozygous). Germ-line variants in the NBS1 gene may play a role in the lung carcinogenesis in cigarette smokers...
- CpG island promoter hypermethylation of the Ras-effector gene NORE1A occurs in the context of a wild-type K-ras in lung cancerManuel Irimia
Molecular Pathology Program, Cancer Epigenetics Laboratory, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, Madrid 28029, Spain
Oncogene 23:8695-9. 2004..008, Fisher's exact test). Thus, the mutual exclusivity of the epigenetic and genetic alterations in the two genes of the Ras pathway suggests that they play a critical and cooperative role in human tumorigenesis...
- Growth and molecular profile of lung cancer cells expressing ectopic LKB1: down-regulation of the phosphatidylinositol 3'-phosphate kinase/PTEN pathwayAna I Jimenez
Molecular Pathology Program, Spanish National Cancer Center, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Cancer Res 63:1382-8. 2003..Thus, our results give some insights into the understanding of how LKB1 inactivation contributes to lung carcinogenesis...
- An efficient expression system for the production of functionally active human LKB1Jorge Luis Martínez-Torrecuadrada
Protein Technology Unit, Biotechnology Program, Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncologicas CNIO, Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
J Biotechnol 115:23-34. 2005..The purified protein was functionally active as being able to demonstrate autophosphorylation in the absence of any associated kinase...
- Wnt signaling promoter hypermethylation distinguishes lung primary adenocarcinomas from colorectal metastasis to the lungMoying Tang
Lung Cancer Group, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Madrid, Spain
Int J Cancer 119:2603-6. 2006..This may have biological consequences for carcinogenesis...
- Analysis of the molecular expression profile of non small cell lung carcinoma associated to chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseRicardo García-Luján
Department of Pneumology, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Avda Cordoba s n, Madrid, Spain
Histol Histopathol 24:417-23. 2009..26 (0.07-1.01). A significant lowest expression of membranous beta-catenin was detected in NSCLC of the patients with COPD...
- Novel and natural knockout lung cancer cell lines for the LKB1/STK11 tumor suppressor geneJulian Carretero
Lymphoma and Lung Cancer Group, Molecular Pathology Program, Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncologicas, Calle Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Oncogene 23:4037-40. 2004....
- Cyclin A as a predictive factor for chemotherapy response in advanced head and neck cancerMaria Rodriguez-Pinilla
Molecular Pathology Program at the Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Madrid, Spain
Clin Cancer Res 10:8486-92. 2004....
- Akt activation synergizes with Trp53 loss in oral epithelium to produce a novel mouse model for head and neck squamous cell carcinomaMarta Moral
Division of Biomedicine, Molecular Oncology Unit, CIEMAT, Madrid, Spain
Cancer Res 69:1099-108. 2009..These data identify activation of Akt and p53 loss as a major mechanism of oral tumorigenesis in vivo and suggest that blocking these signaling pathways could have therapeutic implications for the management of HNSCC...
- CpG island hypermethylation of the DNA repair enzyme methyltransferase predicts response to temozolomide in primary gliomasMaria F Paz
Cancer Epigenetics Laboratory, Spanish National Cancer Centre, Madrid, Spain
Clin Cancer Res 10:4933-8. 2004..Here, we investigate whether the presence of MGMT methylation in gliomas is also a good predictor of response to another emergent alkylating agent, temozolomide...
- Mitochondrial C-tract alteration in premalignant lesions of the head and neck: a marker for progression and clonal proliferationPatrick K Ha
Departments of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Cancer Research Division, Johns Hopkins Medical Institution, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Clin Cancer Res 8:2260-5. 2002..Somatic microsatellites at six loci were also tested on a subset of patients with metachronous or synchronous lesions found to possess a mitochondrial C-tract alteration...
- Therapeutic effect of γ-secretase inhibition in KrasG12V-driven non-small cell lung carcinoma by derepression of DUSP1 and inhibition of ERKAntonio Maraver
Tumor Suppression Group, Spanish National Cancer Research Centre, Madrid, Spain
Cancer Cell 22:222-34. 2012..Accordingly, GSI treatment upregulates DUSP1 and decreases phospho-ERK. These data provide proof of the in vivo therapeutic potential of GSIs in primary NSCLCs...
- Oncogenic activity of Cdc6 through repression of the INK4/ARF locusSusana Gonzalez
Tumor Suppression Group, Spanish National Cancer Research Center CNIO, E 28029 Madrid, Spain
Nature 440:702-6. 2006..We conclude that aberrant expression of Cdc6 is oncogenic by directly repressing the INK4/ARF locus through the RD(INK4/ARF) element...