Affiliation: Rovira i Virgili University
- Garcia Arellano A, Martinez Gonzalez M, Ramallal R, Salas Salvado J, Hebert J, Corella D, et al. Dietary inflammatory index and all-cause mortality in large cohorts: The SUN and PREDIMED studies. Clin Nutr. 2018;: pubmed publisher..The SUN cohort and PREDIMED trial were registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT02669602 and at isrctn.com as ISRCTN35739639, respectively. ..
- Beulen Y, Martinez Gonzalez M, van de Rest O, Salas Salvado J, Sorli J, Gomez Gracia E, et al. Quality of Dietary Fat Intake and Body Weight and Obesity in a Mediterranean Population: Secondary Analyses within the PREDIMED Trial. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..It may therefore be desirable to encourage high-quality fat diets like the Mediterranean diet instead of restricting total fat intake. ..
- Salas Salvado J, Babio N, Juárez Iglesias M, Pico C, Ros E, Moreno Aznar L. [The importance of dairy products for cardiovascular health: whole or low fat?]. Nutr Hosp. 2018;35:1479-1490 pubmed publisher..Por tanto, no existen suficientes evidencias científicas para recomendar a la población general el consumo de productos lácteos bajos en grasa o desnatados de forma preferente, en lugar de su versión entera. ..
- Sanchez Villegas A, Álvarez Pérez J, Toledo E, Salas Salvado J, Ortega Azorín C, Zomeño M, et al. Seafood Consumption, Omega-3 Fatty Acids Intake, and Life-Time Prevalence of Depression in the PREDIMED-Plus Trial. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..5⁻1 g/day) was significantly associated with a lower prevalence of depression. In our study, moderate fish and LC ω-3 PUFA intake, but not high intake, was associated with lower odds of depression suggesting a U-shaped relationship. ..
- Cano Ibáñez N, Bueno Cavanillas A, Martinez Gonzalez M, Corella D, Salas Salvado J, Zomeño M, et al. Dietary Intake in Population with Metabolic Syndrome: Is the Prevalence of Inadequate Intake Influenced by Geographical Area? Cross-Sectional Analysis from PREDIMED-Plus Study. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..001). Sex (women), non-smoker and physical activity were also associated to adequate nutrient intake. Geographical area influences nutrient intakes. Its effect on dietary quality should be taken into account when planning food policies. ..
- Schroder H, Cárdenas Fuentes G, Martinez Gonzalez M, Corella D, Vioque J, Romaguera D, et al. Effectiveness of the physical activity intervention program in the PREDIMED-Plus study: a randomized controlled trial. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2018;15:110 pubmed publisher..Retrospectively registered at the International Standard Randomized Controlled Trial ( http://www.isrctn.com/ISRCTN89898870 ), registration date: 24 July 2014. ..
- de Carvalho Vidigal F, Bressan J, Babio N, Salas Salvado J. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Brazilian adults: a systematic review. BMC Public Health. 2013;13:1198 pubmed publisher..The most frequent MS components were low HDL-cholesterol (59.3%) and hypertension (52.5%). Despite methodological differences among the studies selected, our findings suggested a high prevalence of MS in the Brazilian adult population. ..
- Gils Contreras A, Bonada Sanjaume A, Montero Jaime M, Rabassa Soler A, Sabench Pereferrer F, Molina López A, et al. Effects of Two Preoperatory Weight Loss Diets on Hepatic Volume, Metabolic Parameters, and Surgical Complications in Morbid Obese Bariatric Surgery Candidates: a Randomized Clinical Trial. Obes Surg. 2018;28:3756-3768 pubmed publisher..Both types of preoperative diets have similar effects on clinical biochemical parameters, rate of surgical complications, and hospital length stay. ..
- Salas Salvado J, Farrés X, Luque X, Narejos S, Borrell M, Basora J, et al. Effect of two doses of a mixture of soluble fibres on body weight and metabolic variables in overweight or obese patients: a randomised trial. Br J Nutr. 2008;99:1380-7 pubmed
- Rosique Esteban N, Babio N, Díaz López A, Romaguera D, Alfredo Martinez J, Sanchez V, et al. Leisure-time physical activity at moderate and high intensity is associated with parameters of body composition, muscle strength and sarcopenia in aged adults with obesity and metabolic syndrome from the PREDIMED-Plus study. Clin Nutr. 2018;: pubmed publisher..SB, particularly TV-viewing, may have detrimental effects on body composition in older adults at high cardiovascular risk. ..
- Yu E, Papandreou C, Ruiz Canela M, Guasch Ferré M, Clish C, Dennis C, et al. Association of Tryptophan Metabolites with Incident Type 2 Diabetes in the PREDIMED Trial: A Case-Cohort Study. Clin Chem. 2018;64:1211-1220 pubmed publisher..Baseline and 1-year changes in tryptophan metabolites predicted changes in HOMA-IR. Tryptophan levels may initially increase and then deplete as diabetes progresses in severity. ..
- Camacho Barcia L, Bullo M, Garcia Gavilán J, Martinez Gonzalez M, Corella D, Estruch R, et al. Dairy products intake and the risk of incident cataracts surgery in an elderly Mediterranean population: results from the PREDIMED study. Eur J Nutr. 2019;58:619-627 pubmed publisher..No significant associations were observed for other type of dairy product. International Standard Randomized Controlled Trial Number (ISRCTN): 35739639. Registration date: 5 October 2005. ..
- Salas Salvado J, Garcia Arellano A, Estruch R, Marquez Sandoval F, Corella D, Fiol M, et al. Components of the Mediterranean-type food pattern and serum inflammatory markers among patients at high risk for cardiovascular disease. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008;62:651-9 pubmed
- Babio N, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, Estruch R, WÃ¤rnberg J, Recondo J, Ortega Calvo M, et al. Associations between serum uric acid concentrations and metabolic syndrome and its components in the PREDIMED study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2015;25:173-80 pubmed publisher..2-3.3); P = 0.008) and who were in the upper quartile of SUA had a significantly higher risk of developing these MetS components during follow-up. Elevated SUA concentrations are significantly associated with the development of MetS. ..
- SÃ¡nchez Tainta A, Zazpe I, Bes Rastrollo M, Salas SalvadÃ³ J, Bullo M, SorlÃ J, et al. Nutritional adequacy according to carbohydrates and fat quality. Eur J Nutr. 2016;55:93-106 pubmed publisher..A multidimensional assessment of CQI can be a useful tool to evaluate the quality of carbohydrates. This score and a 14-item Med-diet score were positively related to overall micronutrient adequacy in elderly participants. ..
- Bonada Sanjaume A, Gils Contreras A, Salas SalvadÃ³ J. [INFLUENCE OF THE NUTRITIONAL COMPOSITION OF DIFFERENT FIBER-ENRICHED ENTERAL NUTRITION FORMULAS ON THE ADMINISTRATION TIME BY GRAVITY AND THE RISK OF TUBE FEEDING OBSTRUCTION]. Nutr Hosp. 2015;32:683-90 pubmed publisher..El menor calibre de las sondas, la mayor concentraciÃ³n calÃ³rica y la viscosidad de la mezcla de nutriciÃ³n enteral son factores limitantes cuando administramos por gravedad fÃ³rmulas ricas en fibra. ..
- Salas Salvado J, Becerra Tomás N, García Gavilán J, Bullo M, Barrubés L. Mediterranean Diet and Cardiovascular Disease Prevention: What Do We Know?. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2018;61:62-67 pubmed publisher..As consequence, more high-quality prospective cohorts and randomized clinical trials are warranted in order to increase the confidence in the effect estimates. ..
- Garcia Arellano A, Ramallal R, Ruiz Canela M, Salas SalvadÃ³ J, Corella D, Shivappa N, et al. Dietary Inflammatory Index and Incidence of Cardiovascular Disease in the PREDIMED Study. Nutrients. 2015;7:4124-38 pubmed publisher..22 (1.06-1.40). Our results provide direct prospective evidence that a pro-inflammatory diet is associated with a higher risk of cardiovascular clinical events. ..
- DÃaz LÃ³pez A, BullÃ³ M, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, Corella D, Estruch R, FitÃ³ M, et al. Dairy product consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes in an elderly Spanish Mediterranean population at high cardiovascular risk. Eur J Nutr. 2016;55:349-60 pubmed publisher..A healthy dietary pattern incorporating a high consumption of dairy products and particularly yogurt may be protective against T2D in older adults at high cardiovascular risk. ..
- Díaz López A, Babio N, Martinez Gonzalez M, Corella D, Amor A, Fitó M, et al. Mediterranean Diet, Retinopathy, Nephropathy, and Microvascular Diabetes Complications: A Post Hoc Analysis of a Randomized Trial. Diabetes Care. 2015;38:2134-41 pubmed publisher..34 (0.13-0.89; P = 0.001 for trend). No significant associations were found for nephropathy. A MedDiet enriched with EVOO may protect against diabetic retinopathy but not diabetic nephropathy. ..
- Maraver F, Vitoria I, Ferreira PÃªgo C, Armijo F, Salas SalvadÃ³ J. Magnesium in tap and bottled mineral water in Spain and its contribution to nutritional recommendations. Nutr Hosp. 2015;31:2297-312 pubmed publisher..DiscusiÃ³n: El agua de consumo pÃºblico de un tercio de ciudades espaÃ±olas y de aguas minerales naturales puede ser considerada como una fuente complementaria importante de magnesio ingerido. ..
- HernÃ¡ndez Alonso P, Salas SalvadÃ³ J, Ruiz Canela M, Corella D, Estruch R, FitÃ³ M, et al. High dietary protein intake is associated with an increased body weight and total death risk. Clin Nutr. 2016;35:496-506 pubmed publisher..Higher dietary protein intake is associated with long-term increased risk of body weight gain and overall death in a Mediterranean population at high cardiovascular risk. ..
- Ferreira Pêgo C, Babio N, Salas Salvado J. Letter to the Editor Re: Nissensohn M. et al.; Nutrients 2016, 8, 232. Nutrients. 2016;8: pubmed publisher..1] in Nutrients.[...]. ..
- Corella D, Asensio E, Coltell O, SorlÃ J, Estruch R, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, et al. CLOCK gene variation is associated with incidence of type-2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases in type-2 diabetic subjects: dietary modulation in the PREDIMED randomized trial. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2016;15:4 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we report for the first time an association between a CLOCK polymorphism and stroke in T2D subjects, suggesting that core clock genes may significantly contribute to increased CVD risk in T2D. ..
- Ferreira Pêgo C, Nissensohn M, Kavouras S, Babio N, Serra Majem L, Martín Águila A, et al. Beverage Intake Assessment Questionnaire: Relative Validity and Repeatability in a Spanish Population with Metabolic Syndrome from the PREDIMED-PLUS Study. Nutrients. 2016;8: pubmed publisher..The proposed fluid-specific assessment questionnaire designed to assess the consumption of water and other beverages in Spanish adult individuals was found to be relatively valid with good repeatability. ..
- Corella D, Coltell O, Sorli J, Estruch R, Quiles L, Martinez Gonzalez M, et al. Polymorphism of the Transcription Factor 7-Like 2 Gene (TCF7L2) Interacts with Obesity on Type-2 Diabetes in the PREDIMED Study Emphasizing the Heterogeneity of Genetic Variants in Type-2 Diabetes Risk Prediction: Time for Obesity-Specific Genetic Ri. Nutrients. 2016;8: pubmed..In conclusion, we provide strong evidence supporting the need for considering obesity when analyzing the TCF7L2 effects and propose the use of obesity-specific GRS for T2D. ..
- García Gavilán J, Bullo M, Canudas S, Martinez Gonzalez M, Estruch R, Giardina S, et al. Extra virgin olive oil consumption reduces the risk of osteoporotic fractures in the PREDIMED trial. Clin Nutr. 2018;37:329-335 pubmed publisher..Higher consumption of extra-virgin olive oil is associated with a lower risk of osteoporosis-related fractures in middle-aged and elderly Mediterranean population at high cardiovascular risk. ..
- Papandreou C, Becerra Tomás N, Bullo M, Martinez Gonzalez M, Corella D, Estruch R, et al. Legume consumption and risk of all-cause, cardiovascular, and cancer mortality in the PREDIMED study. Clin Nutr. 2019;38:348-356 pubmed publisher..The trial is registered at http://www.controlled-trials.com (ISRCTN35739639). Registration date: 5th October 2005. ..
- Rosique Esteban N, Guasch Ferré M, Hernández Alonso P, Salas Salvado J. Dietary Magnesium and Cardiovascular Disease: A Review with Emphasis in Epidemiological Studies. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..Further, RCTs and prospective studies would help to clarify whether Mg intake and Mg circulating levels may also protect against other CVDs and CVD death. ..
- Salas SalvadÃ³ J, Guasch FerrÃ© M, Lee C, Estruch R, Clish C, Ros E. Protective Effects of the Mediterranean Diet on Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome. J Nutr. 2016;: pubmed..Abundant epidemiologic and clinical trial evidence supports the role of the MedDiet on the prevention and management of T2DM and MetS. ..
- Ferreira PÃªgo C, Babio N, Salas SalvadÃ³ J. A higher Mediterranean diet adherence and exercise practice are associated with a healthier drinking profile in a healthy Spanish adult population. Eur J Nutr. 2017;56:739-748 pubmed publisher..Participants with greater adherence to the MedDiet and who engaged in more physical exercise exhibit a healthier pattern of fluid intake. ..
- GoÃ±i Ruiz N, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, Salas SalvadÃ³ J, Buil Cosiales P, Diez Espino J, Martinez Vila E, et al. [ASSOCIATION BETWEEN DIETARY GLYCEMIC INDEX AND GLYCEMIC LOAD AND INTIMA MEDIA THICKNESS IN A POPULATION AT HIGH CARDIOVASCULAR RISK: A SUBGROUP ANALYSIS IN THE PREDIMED TRIAL]. Nutr Hosp. 2015;32:2319-30 pubmed publisher..Resultados: en la poblaciÃ³n estudiada no se observÃ³ una asociaciÃ³n estadÃsticamente significativa entre el IG o la CG y el GIMC, ni al inicio ni tras un aÃ±o de seguimiento. ..
- Becerra TomÃ¡s N, Babio N, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, Corella D, Estruch R, Ros E, et al. Replacing red meat and processed red meat for white meat, fish, legumes or eggs is associated with lower risk of incidence of metabolic syndrome. Clin Nutr. 2016;35:1442-1449 pubmed publisher..Replacing RM or PRM with other protein-rich foods related to a lower risk of MetS and should, therefore, be encouraged. This trial was registered at controlled-trials.com as ISRCTN35739639. ..
- Guasch Ferré M, Zheng Y, Ruiz Canela M, Hruby A, Martinez Gonzalez M, Clish C, et al. Plasma acylcarnitines and risk of cardiovascular disease: effect of Mediterranean diet interventions. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016;103:1408-16 pubmed publisher..MedDiet interventions may mitigate the adverse associations shown between higher concentrations of acylcarnitines and CVD. This trial was registered at www.controlled-trials.com as ISRCTN35739639. ..
- Guasch FerrÃ© M, Babio N, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, Corella D, Ros E, MartÃn PelÃ¡ez S, et al. Dietary fat intake and risk of cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality in a population at high risk of cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr. 2015;102:1563-73 pubmed publisher..The replacement of SFAs with MUFAs and PUFAs or of trans fat with MUFAs was inversely associated with CVD. This trial was registered at www.controlled-trials.com as ISRCTN 35739639. ..
- Ferreira Pêgo C, Babio N, Bes Rastrollo M, Corella D, Estruch R, Ros E, et al. Frequent Consumption of Sugar- and Artificially Sweetened Beverages and Natural and Bottled Fruit Juices Is Associated with an Increased Risk of Metabolic Syndrome in a Mediterranean Population at High Cardiovascular Disease Risk. J Nutr. 2016;146:1528-36 pubmed publisher..However, for SSBs and bottled fruit juices these associations must be interpreted with caution because of the low frequency of consumption in this population. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as ISRCTN35739639. ..
- Bargallo N, Gilabert R, Romero Mamani E, Cofan M, Calder P, Fito M, et al. Red Blood Cell Eicosapentaenoic Acid Inversely Relates to MRI-Assessed Carotid Plaque Lipid Core Burden in Elders at High Cardiovascular Risk. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..The inverse association between EPA and plaque lipid content in patients with advanced atherosclerosis supports the notion that this fatty acid might improve cardiovascular health through stabilization of advanced atheroma plaques. ..
- Giardina S, Hernández Alonso P, Díaz López A, Salas Huetos A, Salas Salvado J, Bullo M. Changes in circulating miRNAs in healthy overweight and obese subjects: Effect of diet composition and weight loss. Clin Nutr. 2019;38:438-443 pubmed publisher..An energy-restricted low-glycemic index diet down-regulates circulating miRNA-361 more than an energy-restricted high-glycemic index, regardless of the magnitude of the weight loss. ..
- HernÃ¡ndez Alonso P, Camacho Barcia L, BullÃ³ M, Salas SalvadÃ³ J. Nuts and Dried Fruits: An Update of Their Beneficial Effects on Type 2 Diabetes. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..This review aims to report nut and dried-fruit nutritional interventions in animals and humans, and to focus on mechanisms that could play a significant role in the prevention and treatment of insulin resistance and T2D. ..
- Salas Salvado J, Guasch Ferré M, Díaz López A, Babio N. Yogurt and Diabetes: Overview of Recent Observational Studies. J Nutr. 2017;147:1452S-1461S pubmed publisher..Large-scale intervention studies and randomized clinical trials are warranted to determine if yogurt consumption has beneficial effects on insulin sensitivity and reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Guo X, Tresserra Rimbau A, Estruch R, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, Medina RemÃ³n A, FitÃ³ M, et al. Polyphenol Levels Are Inversely Correlated with Body Weight and Obesity in an Elderly Population after 5 Years of Follow Up (The Randomised PREDIMED Study). Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..408; 95% CI: -0.788 to -0.028, p = 0.036) after adjustments for potential confounders. To conclude, a greater polyphenol intake may thus contribute to reducing body weight in elderly people at high cardiovascular risk. ..
- GarcÃa Layana A, Ciufo G, Toledo E, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, Corella D, FitÃ³ M, et al. The Effect of a Mediterranean Diet on the Incidence of Cataract Surgery. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Further studies are necessary to investigate whether a MedDiet could have a preventive role in cataract surgery. ..
- Hernández Alonso P, Giardina S, Salas Salvado J, Arcelin P, Bullo M. Chronic pistachio intake modulates circulating microRNAs related to glucose metabolism and insulin resistance in prediabetic subjects. Eur J Nutr. 2017;56:2181-2191 pubmed publisher..Chronic pistachio consumption positively modulates the expression of some miRNA previously implicated on insulin sensitivity. ..
- Díaz López A, Bullo M, Chacon M, Estruch R, Vendrell J, Diez Espino J, et al. Reduced circulating sTWEAK levels are associated with metabolic syndrome in elderly individuals at high cardiovascular risk. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2014;13:51 pubmed publisher..39 (2.42-16.85), respectively. In older subjects at high cardiovascular risk, reduced sTWEAK levels are associated with MetS: abdominal obesity, hypertriglyceridemia and hyperglycemia are the main contributors to this association. ..
- Salas Salvado J, Bullo M, Babio N, Martinez Gonzalez M, Ibarrola Jurado N, Basora J, et al. Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with the Mediterranean diet: results of the PREDIMED-Reus nutrition intervention randomized trial. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:14-9 pubmed publisher..Diabetes risk reduction occurred in the absence of significant changes in body weight or physical activity. MedDiets without calorie restriction seem to be effective in the prevention of diabetes in subjects at high cardiovascular risk. ..
- Salas Salvado J, Fernandez Ballart J, Ros E, Martinez Gonzalez M, Fito M, Estruch R, et al. Effect of a Mediterranean diet supplemented with nuts on metabolic syndrome status: one-year results of the PREDIMED randomized trial. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168:2449-58 pubmed publisher..8-2.1) for the MedDiet + VOO group and 1.7 (1.1-2.6) for the MedDiet + nuts group compared with the control diet group. A traditional MedDiet enriched with nuts could be a useful tool in the management of the MetS. ..
- Becerra TomÃ¡s N, DÃaz LÃ³pez A, Rosique Esteban N, Ros E, Buil Cosiales P, Corella D, et al. Legume consumption is inversely associated with type 2 diabetes incidence in adults: A prospective assessment from the PREDIMED study. Clin Nutr. 2018;37:906-913 pubmed publisher..The trial is registered at http://www.controlled-trials.com (ISRCTN35739639). Registration date: 5th October 2005. ..