- Ramos Casals M, Garcia Carrasco M, Lopez Medrano F, Trejo O, Forns X, Lopez Guillermo A, et al. Severe autoimmune cytopenias in treatment-naive hepatitis C virus infection: clinical description of 35 cases. Medicine (Baltimore). 2003;82:87-96 pubmed..Hemolytic anemia and severe thrombocytopenia were the most frequent cytopenias observed. Most patients responded well to corticosteroids, although a higher rate of mortality was observed in those with liver cirrhosis. ..
- Ramos Casals M, Brito Zeron P, Yague J, Akasbi M, Bautista R, Ruano M, et al. Hypocomplementaemia as an immunological marker of morbidity and mortality in patients with primary Sjogren's syndrome. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2005;44:89-94 pubmed..Our results support the inclusion of complement determination at diagnosis as a predictor of the outcome of patients with primary SS and its routine determination in the clinical follow-up. ..
- Ramos Casals M, Nardi N, Brito Zeron P, Aguilò S, Gil V, Delgado G, et al. Atypical autoantibodies in patients with primary Sjögren syndrome: clinical characteristics and follow-up of 82 cases. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2006;35:312-21 pubmed
- Ramos Casals M, Tzioufas A, Stone J, Siso A, Bosch X. Treatment of primary Sjögren syndrome: a systematic review. JAMA. 2010;304:452-60 pubmed publisher..Anti-tumor necrosis factor agents have not shown clinical efficacy, and larger controlled trials are needed to establish the efficacy of rituximab. ..
- Ramos Casals M, Brito Zeron P, Solans R, Camps M, Casanovas A, Sopena B, et al. Systemic involvement in primary Sjogren's syndrome evaluated by the EULAR-SS disease activity index: analysis of 921 Spanish patients (GEAS-SS Registry). Rheumatology (Oxford). 2014;53:321-31 pubmed publisher..Cytopenias, hypocomplementaemia and cryoglobulinaemia at diagnosis strongly correlated with higher cumulated ESSDAI scores in the clinical domains. Clinically the ESSDAI provides a reliable picture of systemic involvement in primary SS. ..
- Brito Zeron P, Retamozo S, Gheitasi H, Ramos Casals M. Treating the Underlying Pathophysiology of Primary Sjögren Syndrome: Recent Advances and Future Prospects. Drugs. 2016;76:1601-1623 pubmed..The next 10 years may witness a disruptive therapeutic scenario in primary SS. ..
- Retamozo S, Gheitasi H, Quartuccio L, Kostov B, Corazza L, Bove A, et al. Cryoglobulinaemic vasculitis at diagnosis predicts mortality in primary Sjögren syndrome: analysis of 515 patients. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2016;55:1443-51 pubmed publisher..68, 95% CI: 4.44, 30.74) and multivariate (HR = 4.36, 95% CI: 1.32, 14.47) models. Patients with primary SS who fulfilled criteria for cryoglobulinaemic vasculitis at diagnosis are at higher risk of death. ..
- Brito ZerÃ³n P, Gheitasi H, Retamozo S, BovÃ© A, LondoÃ±o M, SÃ¡nchez Tapias J, et al. How hepatitis C virus modifies the immunological profile of SjÃ¶gren syndrome: analysis of 783 patients. Arthritis Res Ther. 2015;17:250 pubmed publisher..This immunological pattern may contribute to the poor outcomes found in patients with SS-HCV. ..
- Ramos Casals M, Brito Zeron P, Soto M, Cuadrado M, Khamashta M. Autoimmune diseases induced by TNF-targeted therapies. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2008;22:847-61 pubmed publisher..Large, prospective, postmarketing studies are required to evaluate the risk of developing autoimmune diseases in patients receiving TNF-targeted therapies. ..
- Brito Zeron P, Sellares J, Bosch X, Hernández F, Kostov B, Sisó Almirall A, et al. Epidemiologic patterns of disease expression in sarcoidosis: age, gender and ethnicity-related differences. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2016;34:380-8 pubmed..Variations in these epidemiological features may aid early diagnostic suspicion, the search for histopathological confirmation and the prompt introduction of the appropriate therapy. ..
- Ramos Casals M, Trejo O, Garcia Carrasco M, Font J. Therapeutic management of extrahepatic manifestations in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infection. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2003;42:818-28 pubmed
- Ramos Casals M, Brito Zeron P, Font J. The overlap of Sjögren's syndrome with other systemic autoimmune diseases. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2007;36:246-55 pubmed..This overlap suggests that the current classification criteria are useful in differentiating between autoimmune and non-autoimmune processes but fail to clearly differentiate among SAD. ..
- Ramos Casals M, Brito Zeron P, Muñoz S, Soria N, Galiana D, Bertolaccini L, et al. Autoimmune diseases induced by TNF-targeted therapies: analysis of 233 cases. Medicine (Baltimore). 2007;86:242-51 pubmed..In conclusion, the use of anti-TNF agents has been associated with an increasing number of cases of autoimmune diseases, principally cutaneous vasculitis, lupus-like syndrome, SLE, and interstitial lung disease. ..
- Ramos Casals M, Garcia Hernandez F, De Ramon E, Callejas J, Martinez Berriotxoa A, Pallares L, et al. Off-label use of rituximab in 196 patients with severe, refractory systemic autoimmune diseases. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2010;28:468-76 pubmed
- Ramos Casals M, Cuadrado M, Alba P, Sanna G, Brito Zeron P, Bertolaccini L, et al. Acute viral infections in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: description of 23 cases and review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore). 2008;87:311-8 pubmed publisher..Physicians should examine the pharynx, eyes, skin, and genitalia and should conduct serologic and molecular studies to improve early detection of viral infection in patients with SLE...
- Retamozo S, Flores Chavez A, Consuegra FernÃ¡ndez M, Lozano F, Ramos Casals M, Brito ZerÃ³n P. Cytokines as therapeutic targets in primary SjÃ¶gren syndrome. Pharmacol Ther. 2018;184:81-97 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the potential pharmacotherapeutic options targeting the main cytokine families involved in the etiopathogenesis of primary SjS and analyzes potential insights for developing new therapies. ..
- Brito Zeron P, Acar Denizli N, Sisó Almirall A, Bosch X, Hernández F, Vilanova S, et al. The Burden of Comorbidity and Complexity in Sarcoidosis: Impact of Associated Chronic Diseases. Lung. 2018;196:239-248 pubmed publisher..We found higher rates of comorbidity and complexity in patients with sarcoidosis compared with a control group. Liver, pulmonary, autoimmune and neoplastic diseases were the main comorbidities found in patients with sarcoidosis. ..
- Ramos Casals M, Brito Zeron P, Soria N, Nardi N, Vargas A, Munoz S, et al. Mannose-binding lectin-low genotypes are associated with milder systemic and immunological disease expression in primary Sjögren's syndrome. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2009;48:65-9 pubmed publisher..In primary SS, MBL deficiency may represent a protective factor against the development of more aggressive autoimmune damage. ..