- Effect of urate-lowering therapy on the velocity of size reduction of tophi in chronic goutFernando Perez-Ruiz
Hospital de Cruces, Pais Vasco, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 47:356-60. 2002..This observational, prospective study evaluates the relationship between serum urate levels during therapy and the velocity of reduction of tophi in patients with chronic tophaceous gout...
- Using serum urate levels to determine the period free of gouty symptoms after withdrawal of long-term urate-lowering therapy: a prospective studyFernando Perez-Ruiz
Seccion de Reumatologia, Hospital de Cruces, Pais Vasco, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 55:786-90. 2006..Our objective was to ascertain the outcome of ULT withdrawal after long-term, documented control of serum urate levels...
- Ultrasonographic measurement of tophi as an outcome measure for chronic goutFernando Perez-Ruiz
Seccion de Reumatologia and Servicio de Radiologia, Hospital de Cruces, Baracaldo, Spain
J Rheumatol 34:1888-93. 2007..To validate the usefulness of measuring tophi with ultrasonography (US) as an outcome measure for chronic tophaceous gout...
- Improvement of renal function in patients with chronic gout after proper control of hyperuricemia and gouty boutsF Perez-Ruiz
Rheumatology Section, Hospital de Cruces, Barakaldo, Spain
Nephron 86:287-91. 2000..To evaluate the effect of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) withdrawal on renal function in patients with chronic gout after proper control of hyperuricemia and gouty symptoms...
- Imaging modalities and monitoring measures of goutFernando Perez-Ruiz
Department of Rheumatology, Hospital de Cruces, Vizcaya, Spain
Curr Opin Rheumatol 19:128-33. 2007..Ultrasonography, computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging are emerging techniques that could be used for diagnosis, evaluation, and monitoring acute and chronic gout...
- Correction of allopurinol dosing should be based on clearance of creatinine, but not plasma creatinine levels: another insight to allopurinol-related toxicityFernando Perez-Ruiz
Rheumatology Section, Hospital de Cruces, Vizcaya, Spain
J Clin Rheumatol 11:129-33. 2005..Dosing of allopurinol should be corrected depending on renal function, but corrections based on either plasma creatinine (Pcr) or creatinine clearance (CrCl) have been suggested to be minimal standards of care...
- Long-term efficacy of hyperuricaemia treatment in renal transplant patientsFernando Perez-Ruiz
Hospital de Cruces, Rheumatology Section and Nephrology Division, Baracaldo, Pais Vasco, Spain
Nephrol Dial Transplant 18:603-6. 2003..We therefore examine the effects of allopurinol and benziodarone therapy in a cohort of renal transplant patients...
- Renal underexcretion of uric acid is present in patients with apparent high urinary uric acid outputF Perez-Ruiz
Hospital de Cruces, Baracaldo, Vizcaya, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 47:610-3. 2002..To compare renal handling of uric acid in patients with primary gout with that of a control group...
- Risk factors associated with renal lithiasis during uricosuric treatment of hyperuricemia in patients with goutFernando Perez-Ruiz
Hospital de Cruces, Vizcaya, Spain
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:1299-305. 2010..To find factors associated with the development of renal colic during uricosuric therapy...
- A two-stage approach to the treatment of hyperuricemia in gout: the "dirty dish" hypothesisFernando Perez-Ruiz
Servicio de Reumatologia, Hospital Universitario Cruces, Baracaldo, Vizcaya, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 63:4002-6. 2011..This study was undertaken to reevaluate whether this stringent therapeutic target to dissolve crystals must be maintained lifelong to prevent new crystal formation...
- Evaluation and treatment of gout as a chronic diseaseFernando Perez-Ruiz
Rheumatology Division, Hospital Universitario Cruces, Pza Cruces, Baracaldo, Vizcaya, Spain
Adv Ther 29:935-46. 2012..This review intends to increase the awareness of gout as a chronic deposition disease, and show that efforts should be made to properly control serum urate levels in order to achieve complete disappearance of urate crystal deposition...
- An audit of the variability of diagnosis and management of gout in the rheumatology setting: the gout evaluation and management studyFernando Perez-Ruiz
Rheumatology Department, Hospital de Cruces, Baracaldo, Spain
J Clin Rheumatol 17:349-55. 2011....
- Treating to target: a strategy to cure goutFernando Perez-Ruiz
Rheumatology Division, Hospital de Cruces, 48600 Baracaldo, Vizcaya, Spain
Rheumatology (Oxford) 48:ii9-ii14. 2009..In the long term, reduction in the sUA below the target level will result in gout being effectively cured...
- Lowering serum uric acid levels: what is the optimal target for improving clinical outcomes in gout?Fernando Perez-Ruiz
Hospital de Cruces, Baracaldo, Pais Vasco, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 57:1324-8. 2007
- Imaging of gout: findings and utilityFernando Perez-Ruiz
Rheumatology Division, Hospital de Cruces, Baracaldo, Vizcaya, Spain
Arthritis Res Ther 11:232. 2009....
- New treatments for goutFernando Perez-Ruiz
Joint Bone Spine 74:313-5. 2007
- PEG-uricase in the management of treatment-resistant gout and hyperuricemiaMERRY R SHERMAN
Mountain View Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 3475 S Edison Way, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 60:59-68. 2008..Two ongoing Phase 3 clinical trials include systematic assessments of gout symptoms, tophus resolution and quality of life, in addition to the primary endpoint of reduced plasma urate concentration...
- Outcome evaluations in goutH Ralph Schumacher
Division of Rheumatology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Rheumatol 34:1381-5. 2007..Final validation of these outcomes has not yet been achieved. In summary, the unique problems of evaluating outcomes in gout are finally being addressed. While no measures are available for use yet, an agenda has been developed...
- Outcome measures for acute and chronic goutH Ralph Schumacher
University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Rheumatol 32:2452-5. 2005..Five domains for acute gout outcomes and 9 for chronic gout were identified along with proposed instruments for testing and validation. The unique problems of gout evaluation can and will be addressed...