- A European multicentre, placebo-controlled supplementation study with alpha-tocopherol, carotene-rich palm oil, lutein or lycopene: analysis of serum responsesBegoña Olmedilla
Unidad de Vitaminas, Sección de Nutrición, Clinica Puerta de Hierro, C San Martin de Porres 4, 28035 Madrid, Spain
Clin Sci (Lond) 102:447-56. 2002..This part of the study describes dose-time responses, isomer distribution, subject variability and side effects during supplementation with the major dietary carotenoids in healthy subjects...
- [Ischemia-reperfusion injury during experimental heart transplantation. Evaluation of trimetazidine's cytoprotective effect]Evaristo Castedo
Servicio de Cirugia Cardiovascular, Clinica Puerta de Hierro, Madrid, Spain
Rev Esp Cardiol 58:941-50. 2005..The objectives of this study were to analyze the ischemia-reperfusion injury due to free radicals that occurs during heart transplantation and to determine the potential cytoprotective effect of trimetazidine...
- Serum concentrations of carotenoids and vitamins A, E, and C in control subjects from five European countriesB Olmedilla
Clinica Puerta de Hierro, 28035 Madrid, Spain
Br J Nutr 85:227-38. 2001....
- Serum status of carotenoids and tocopherols in patients with age-related cataracts: a case-control studyB Olmedilla
Seccion de Nutricion Unidad de Vitaminas, Clinica Puerta de Hierro, San Martin de Porres, 28035 Madrid, Spain
J Nutr Health Aging 6:66-8. 2002..Epidemiological studies have shown that elevated serum levels and / or intake of several antioxidants, such as carotenoids, vitamin E and ascorbic acid, are associated with a diminished risk for cataracts...
- Lutein, but not alpha-tocopherol, supplementation improves visual function in patients with age-related cataracts: a 2-y double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot studyB Olmedilla
Unidad de Vitaminas, Sección de Nutrición, Clinica Puerta de Hierro, Madrid, Spain
Nutrition 19:21-4. 2003..We investigated the effect of long-term antioxidant supplementation (lutein and alpha-tocopherol) on serum levels and visual performance in patients with cataracts...
- Antioxidant effect of gamma-tocopherol supplied by propofol preparations (Diprivan) during ischemia-reperfusion in experimental lung transplantationLourdes Alvarez-Ayuso
Division of Experimental Surgery, Clinica Puerta de Hierro, Madrid, Spain
Transpl Int 17:71-7. 2004..This potential effect could be relevant to the choice of anesthetic agents in situations where free radical damage to tissues is expected...
- Intake of Mediterranean vegetable soup treated by pulsed electric fields affects plasma vitamin C and antioxidant biomarkers in humansConcepción Sánchez-Moreno
Department of Plant Foods Science and Technology, Instituto del Frio CSIC, Madrid, Spain
Int J Food Sci Nutr 56:115-24. 2005..018; and r = -0.743, P = 0.0004, respectively). To summarize, drinking two servings (500 ml) of PEF-treated or FM gazpacho daily increases plasma vitamin C and significantly decreases 8-epiPGF(2alpha) concentrations in healthy humans...