- Kovacs F, Abraira V, Cano A, Royuela A, Gil Del Real M, Gestoso M, et al. Fear avoidance beliefs do not influence disability and quality of life in Spanish elderly subjects with low back pain. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007;32:2133-8 pubmed..In elderly subjects with LBP, differences in FABs are not associated with differences in disability or quality of life. Further studies should explore the potential value of FABs in the elderly in other settings. ..
- Kovacs F, Muriel A, Castillo Sanchez M, Medina J, Royuela A. Fear avoidance beliefs influence duration of sick leave in Spanish low back pain patients. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007;32:1761-6 pubmed..This seems to be a direct effect of FAB, since there is no confounding by any other variable. ..
- Kovacs F, Seco J, Royuela A, Corcoll Reixach J, Abraira V. Predicting the evolution of low back pain patients in routine clinical practice: results from a registry within the Spanish National Health Service. Spine J. 2012;12:1008-20 pubmed publisher..A prospective registry can be used for developing predictive models to quantify the odds that a given LBP patient will experience a clinically relevant improvement. This may empower patients for an informed shared decision making. ..
- Kovacs F, Garcia E, Royuela A, González L, Abraira V. Prevalence and factors associated with low back pain and pelvic girdle pain during pregnancy: a multicenter study conducted in the Spanish National Health Service. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2012;37:1516-33 pubmed..When these variables are taken into account, obstetrical data from current or previous pregnancies and other variables do not show a significant association with LBP. Stage of pregnancy and depression were associated with PGP. ..
- Kovacs F, Noguera J, Abraira V, Royuela A, Cano A, Gil Del Real M, et al. The influence of psychological factors on low back pain-related disability in community dwelling older persons. Pain Med. 2008;9:871-80 pubmed publisher..28 for those with pain. Corresponding values for catastrophizing were 0.17 and 0.19. In Spanish community dwelling retirees, the influence of FAB and catastrophizing on LBP-related disability is clinically small. ..
- Kovacs F, Abraira V, Royuela A, Corcoll J, Alegre L, Tomas M, et al. Minimum detectable and minimal clinically important changes for pain in patients with nonspecific neck pain. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2008;9:43 pubmed publisher..MDC and MCIC values in neck pain patients are similar to those for low back pain and other painful conditions. ..
- Kovacs F, Abraira V, Royuela A, Corcoll J, Alegre L, Cano A, et al. Minimal clinically important change for pain intensity and disability in patients with nonspecific low back pain. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007;32:2915-20 pubmed publisher..5 RMQ points should be seen as irrelevant. In those patients, MCIC range values are similar in patients with LP, are consistent across different cultural settings and remain stable no matter what the duration of pain is. ..
- Kovacs F, Llobera J, Gil Del Real M, Abraira V, Gestoso M, Fernandez C, et al. Validation of the spanish version of the Roland-Morris questionnaire. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2002;27:538-42 pubmed..341 (P = 0.0000) on day 15. The Spanish version of the RMQ has good comprehensibility, internal consistency, and reliability, and is an adequate and useful instrument for the assessment of disability caused by LBP. ..
- Kovacs F, Abraira V, Muriel A, Corcoll J, Alegre L, Tomas M, et al. Prognostic factors for neuroreflexotherapy in the treatment of subacute and chronic neck and back pain: a study of predictors of clinical outcome in routine practice of the Spanish National Health Service. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007;32:1621-8 pubmed..In order to improve the success rate of this technology, these results only support earlier referral for patients complying with current indication criteria. ..
- Kovacs F, Abraira V, Zamora J, Teresa Gil del Real M, Llobera J, Fernandez C, et al. Correlation between pain, disability, and quality of life in patients with common low back pain. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2004;29:206-10 pubmed..The influence of pain and disability on quality of life progresses while they last, and doubles in 14 days. In acute and subacute patients, this increase is not dependent on the previous duration of pain. ..
- Kovacs F, Gestoso M, Gil Del Real M, Lopez J, Mufraggi N, Méndez J. Risk factors for non-specific low back pain in schoolchildren and their parents: a population based study. Pain. 2003;103:259-68 pubmed..Scoliosis, but not LBP, appears to be related to heredity. Further longitudinal studies are necessary to establish risk factors that are predictive for LBP in adolescents. ..
- Kovacs F, Abraira V, Santos S, Diaz E, Gestoso M, Muriel A, et al. A comparison of two short education programs for improving low back pain-related disability in the elderly: a cluster randomized controlled trial. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007;32:1053-9 pubmed..In institutionalized elderly, the handing out of the Back Book supported by a 20-minute group talk improves disability 6 months later, and is even more effective in those subjects with LBP. ..
- Kovacs F, Fernandez C, Cordero A, Muriel A, Gonzalez Lujan L, Gil Del Real M. Non-specific low back pain in primary care in the Spanish National Health Service: a prospective study on clinical outcomes and determinants of management. BMC Health Serv Res. 2006;6:57 pubmed..However, after 2 months of treatment more than one third of patients continued to have back pain and about 10% had worsened. ..
- Kovacs F, Muriel A, Medina J, Abraira V, Sánchez M, Jaúregui J. Psychometric characteristics of the Spanish version of the FAB questionnaire. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2006;31:104-10 pubmed..It cannot be analyzed parametrically, but only nonparametrically. The total FABQ is at least as valid as its subscales and simpler to score, making it more suitable for routine clinical use. ..
- Kovacs F, Bagó J, Royuela A, Seco J, Gimenez S, Muriel A, et al. Psychometric characteristics of the Spanish version of instruments to measure neck pain disability. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2008;9:42 pubmed publisher..It takes two more minutes to answer the NDI than to answer the COM, but it can be reliably filled out by the patient without assistance. Clinical Trials Register NCT00349544. ..
- Kovacs F, Muriel A, Abriaira V, Medina J, Castillo Sanchez M, Olabe J. The influence of fear avoidance beliefs on disability and quality of life is sparse in Spanish low back pain patients. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2005;30:E676-82 pubmed..Further studies should explore the potential value of FAB in other Latin-Mediterranean countries. ..
- Kovacs F, Abraira V, Zamora J, Fernandez C. The transition from acute to subacute and chronic low back pain: a study based on determinants of quality of life and prediction of chronic disability. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2005;30:1786-92 pubmed..Changes related to determinants of disability and quality of life, and to the prediction of chronic disability, appear 14 days after the onset of pain, supporting that cutoff point for considering a patient as being subacute. ..
- Kovacs F, Royuela A, Jensen T, Estremera A, Amengual G, Muriel A, et al. Agreement in the interpretation of magnetic resonance images of the lumbar spine. Acta Radiol. 2009;50:497-506 pubmed publisher..In contrast, assessment of osteophytes and disc degeneration is not reliable. ..