Lluis Serra Majem
Affiliation: Las Palmas
- Samaniego Vaesken M, Ruiz E, Partearroyo T, Aranceta Bartrina J, Gil A, Gonzalez Gross M, et al. Added Sugars and Low- and No-Calorie Sweeteners in a Representative Sample of Food Products Consumed by the Spanish ANIBES Study Population. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..These data are not compiled in food composition databases, which should be periodically updated to include LNCS and added sugars to facilitate their assessment and monitoring in nutritional surveys. ..
- Morales Ivorra I, Romera Baurés M, Román Viñas B, Serra Majem L. Osteoarthritis and the Mediterranean Diet: A Systematic Review. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..However, prospective and longer interventions are required to evaluate the long-term efficacy of the Mediterranean diet to improve symptomatology and preventing osteoarthritis. ..
- Serra Majem L, Ortiz Andrellucchi A. [The Mediterranean diet as an example of food and nutrition sustainability: a multidisciplinary approach]. Nutr Hosp. 2018;35:96-101 pubmed publisher..Del corazón a la tierra a través del camino de la cultura, la dieta mediterránea es un patrimonio cultural que mira hacia el futuro. ..
- Serra Majem L, Raposo A, Aranceta Bartrina J, Varela Moreiras G, Logue C, Laviada H, et al. Ibero⁻American Consensus on Low- and No-Calorie Sweeteners: Safety, Nutritional Aspects and Benefits in Food and Beverages. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..With this in mind, the publication of position statements and consensus documents in the academic literature are extremely desirable. ..
- Samaniego Vaesken M, Partearroyo T, Ruiz E, Aranceta Bartrina J, Gil A, Gonzalez Gross M, et al. The Influence of Place of Residence, Gender and Age Influence on Food Group Choices in the Spanish Population: Findings from the ANIBES Study. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..It is fundamental to acknowledge that other SEF variables are important and further studies are needed to monitor and assess these influences are warranted. ..
- Ruiz E, Ãvila J, Castillo A, Valero T, Del Pozo S, Rodriguez P, et al. The ANIBES Study on Energy Balance in Spain: design, protocol and methodology. Nutrients. 2015;7:970-98 pubmed publisher..The ANIBES study will contribute to provide valuable useful data to inform food policy planning, food based dietary guidelines development and other health oriented actions in Spain. ..
- Frangeskou M, Lopez Valcarcel B, Serra Majem L. Dehydration in the Elderly: A Review Focused on Economic Burden. J Nutr Health Aging. 2015;19:619-27 pubmed publisher..Dehydration represents a potential target for intervention to reduce healthcare expenditures and improve patients' quality of life. ..
- Ruiz E, Ãvila J, Valero T, Del Pozo S, Rodriguez P, Aranceta Bartrina J, et al. Energy Intake, Profile, and Dietary Sources in the Spanish Population: Findings of the ANIBES Study. Nutrients. 2015;7:4739-62 pubmed publisher..A variety of food and beverage groups contribute to energy intake; however, it is necessary to reinforce efforts for better adherence to the traditional Mediterranean diet. ..
- Ruiz E, Ãvila J, Valero T, Del Pozo S, Rodriguez P, Aranceta Bartrina J, et al. Macronutrient Distribution and Dietary Sources in the Spanish Population: Findings from the ANIBES Study. Nutrients. 2016;8:177 pubmed publisher..5%). The macronutrient intake and distribution in the Spanish population is far from population reference intakes and nutritional goals, especially for children and adolescents. ..
- Ferreira Pêgo C, Nissensohn M, Kavouras S, Babio N, Serra Majem L, Martín Águila A, et al. Beverage Intake Assessment Questionnaire: Relative Validity and Repeatability in a Spanish Population with Metabolic Syndrome from the PREDIMED-PLUS Study. Nutrients. 2016;8: pubmed publisher..The proposed fluid-specific assessment questionnaire designed to assess the consumption of water and other beverages in Spanish adult individuals was found to be relatively valid with good repeatability. ..
- Nissensohn M, RomÃ¡n ViÃ±as B, SÃ¡nchez Villegas A, Piscopo S, Serra Majem L. The Effect of the Mediterranean Diet on Hypertension: AÂ Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016;48:42-53.e1 pubmed publisher..Further standardized research is urgently needed to reach evidence-based conclusions to clarify the role of MD in BP management, particularly in Europe and other societies where prevalence of cardiovascular diseases is increasing. ..
- PÃ©rez Rodrigo C, Gil Ã, GonzÃ¡lez Gross M, Ortega R, Serra Majem L, Varela Moreiras G, et al. Clustering of Dietary Patterns, Lifestyles, and Overweight among Spanish Children and Adolescents in the ANIBES Study. Nutrients. 2015;8: pubmed publisher..The healthier lifestyle pattern included lower proportions of children and adolescents from low socioeconomic status backgrounds. ..
- GarcÃa Layana A, Ciufo G, Toledo E, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, Corella D, FitÃ³ M, et al. The Effect of a Mediterranean Diet on the Incidence of Cataract Surgery. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Further studies are necessary to investigate whether a MedDiet could have a preventive role in cataract surgery. ..
- Cruz L, Azpeitia G, SÃºarez D, RodrÃguez A, Ferrer J, Serra Majem L. Factors Associated with Stunting among Children Aged 0 to 59 Months from the Central Region of Mozambique. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Thus, appropriate nutritional intervention programmes considering these determinants and the dissemination of knowledge at the population level related to undernutrition are necessary to ameliorate the childrenÂ´s nutritional status. ..
- PÃ©rez Rodrigo C, Gianzo Citores M, Gil Ã, GonzÃ¡lez Gross M, Ortega R, Serra Majem L, et al. Lifestyle Patterns and Weight Status in Spanish Adults: The ANIBES Study. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..The findings in this study underline the importance of designing and implementing interventions that address multiple health risk practices, considering lifestyle patterns and associated determinants. ..
- Olza J, Aranceta Bartrina J, Gonzalez Gross M, Ortega R, Serra Majem L, Varela Moreiras G, et al. Reported Dietary Intake, Disparity between the Reported Consumption and the Level Needed for Adequacy and Food Sources of Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium and Vitamin D in the Spanish Population: Findings from the ANIBES Study. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..In conclusion, there is an important percentage of the Spanish ANIBES population not meeting the recommended intakes for calcium, magnesium and vitamin D. ..
- Nissensohn M, Sanchez Villegas A, Galan P, Turrini A, Arnault N, Mistura L, et al. Beverage Consumption Habits among the European Population: Association with Total Water and Energy Intakes. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..The future of beverage intake assessment requires the use of new instruments, techniques, and the application of the new available technologies. ..
- González Rodríguez L, Perea Sánchez J, Aranceta Bartrina J, Gil A, Gonzalez Gross M, Serra Majem L, et al. Intake and Dietary Food Sources of Fibre in Spain: Differences with Regard to the Prevalence of Excess Body Weight and Abdominal Obesity in Adults of the ANIBES Study. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrates an insufficient fibre intake both in the whole sample and in the plausible reporters and confirms its association with excess body weight and abdominal obesity only when the whole sample was considered. ..
- Olza J, Aranceta Bartrina J, GonzÃ¡lez Gross M, Ortega R, Serra Majem L, Varela Moreiras G, et al. Reported Dietary Intake and Food Sources of Zinc, Selenium, and Vitamins A, E and C in the Spanish Population: Findings from the ANIBES Study. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..There is an elevated percentage of the Spanish ANIBES population not meeting the EFSA recommended intakes for all analysed micronutrients: zinc (83%), vitamin A (60%), vitamin E (80%), vitamin C (36%) and selenium (25%). ..
- Corella D, Coltell O, Sorli J, Estruch R, Quiles L, Martinez Gonzalez M, et al. Polymorphism of the Transcription Factor 7-Like 2 Gene (TCF7L2) Interacts with Obesity on Type-2 Diabetes in the PREDIMED Study Emphasizing the Heterogeneity of Genetic Variants in Type-2 Diabetes Risk Prediction: Time for Obesity-Specific Genetic Ri. Nutrients. 2016;8: pubmed..In conclusion, we provide strong evidence supporting the need for considering obesity when analyzing the TCF7L2 effects and propose the use of obesity-specific GRS for T2D. ..
- Serra Majem L, Nissensohn M. Beverage Consumption Habits around the World: The Burden of Disease Attributable to Hydration. Nutrients. 2016;8: pubmed..Dehydration occurs when the body loses more water than is taken in.[...]. ..
- García Alvarez A, Milà Villarroel R, Ribas Barba L, Egan B, Badea M, Maggi F, et al. Usage of Plant Food Supplements (PFS) for weight control in six European countries: results from the PlantLIBRA PFS Consumer Survey 2011-2012. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2016;16:254 pubmed publisher..Our findings should encourage the conduction of further studies on this topic, long-term and large sample-sized studies, ideally conducted in the general population. ..
- Nissensohn M, Serra Majem L. Reply to C. Ferreira-Pêgo's Letter to the Editor Re: Nissensohn M. et al.; Nutrients 2016, 8, 232. Nutrients. 2016;8: pubmed..n/a. ..
- Ruiz E, Rodriguez P, Valero T, Avila J, Aranceta Bartrina J, Gil A, et al. Dietary Intake of Individual (Free and Intrinsic) Sugars and Food Sources in the Spanish Population: Findings from the ANIBES Study. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrates that only a moderate percentage of the Spanish population adhered to the present recommendations for total sugar intake, and urgent efforts are needed to improve diet quality in the youngest populations. ..
- Samaniego Vaesken M, Partearroyo T, Olza J, Aranceta Bartrina J, Gil A, Gonzalez Gross M, et al. Iron Intake and Dietary Sources in the Spanish Population: Findings from the ANIBES Study. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Therefore, there is a need to define standard dietary reference intake to determine inadequate iron intakes in the Spanish population. ..