Affiliation: Hospital Universitari Vall d'Hebron
- Pathogenesis of irritable bowel syndrome: the mast cell connectionJavier Santos
Digestive Diseases Research Unit, Hospital General Vall d'Hebron, Autonomous University of Barcelona, ES-08035 Barcelona, Spain
Scand J Gastroenterol 40:129-40. 2005
- Neuropharmacology of stress-induced mucosal inflammation: implications for inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndromeJavier Santos
Digestive Diseases Research Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Institut de Recerça Vall d Hebron and Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Department of Medicine, Barcelona, Spain
Curr Mol Med 8:258-73. 2008....
- Stress neuropeptides evoke epithelial responses via mast cell activation in the rat colonJavier Santos
Digestive Diseases Research Unit, Institut de Recerca Vall d Hebron, Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Department of Medicine, Barcelona, Spain
Psychoneuroendocrinology 33:1248-56. 2008..However, the ability of CRF-sensitive mucosal/submucosal loops to regulate intestinal barrier and the participation of resident mast cells are unclear...
- Targeting mast cells in the treatment of functional gastrointestinal disordersJavier Santos
Digestive Diseases Research Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Curr Opin Pharmacol 6:541-6. 2006..Such observations have stimulated the development of candidate drugs, such as tryptase or Syk inhibitors, that might be useful for the treatment of gastrointestinal functional disorders...
- The jejunum of diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome shows molecular alterations in the tight junction signaling pathway that are associated with mucosal pathobiology and clinical manifestationsCristina Martinez
Department of Gastroenterology, Digestive System Research Unit, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Institut de Recerca Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona Departmento de Medicina, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Gastroenterol 107:736-46. 2012..The objective of this study was to determine the molecular events and mechanisms and the clinical role of upper small intestinal alterations...
- Maladaptive intestinal epithelial responses to life stress may predispose healthy women to gut mucosal inflammationCarmen Alonso
Digestive Diseases Research Unit, Institut de Recerca, Department of Gastroenterology, Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 135:163-172.e1. 2008..Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), a highly prevalent disorder among women, has been associated with life stress, but the peripheral mechanisms involved remain largely unexplored...
- Chronic psychosocial stress induces reversible mitochondrial damage and corticotropin-releasing factor receptor type-1 upregulation in the rat intestine and IBS-like gut dysfunctionMaria Vicario
Department of Gastroenterology, Institut de Recerca Vall d Hebron, CIBERehd, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Departament of Medicine, Barcelona, Spain
Psychoneuroendocrinology 37:65-77. 2012..These findings support crowding stress as a suitable animal model to unravel the complex pathophysiology underlying to common human intestinal stress-related disorders, such as IBS...
- Chronological assessment of mast cell-mediated gut dysfunction and mucosal inflammation in a rat model of chronic psychosocial stressMaria Vicario
Digestive Diseases Research Unit, Lab Neuro Immuno Gastroenterology, Institut de Recerca Vall d Hebron, CIBERehd, Department of Gastroenterology, Barcelona, Spain
Brain Behav Immun 24:1166-75. 2010..The notable resemblance of these findings with those in some IBS patients, support the potential interest and translational validity of this experimental model for the research of stress-sensitive intestinal disorders, particularly IBS...
- Diarrhoea-predominant IBS patients show mast cell activation and hyperplasia in the jejunumMar Guilarte
Department of Medicine, Hospital Universitari General Vall d Hebron, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Gut 56:203-9. 2007..Although upper gut symptoms are common, mast cells have not been thoroughly evaluated in proximal gut in IBS patients...
- [Stress-mast cell axis and regulation of gut mucosal inflammation: from intestinal health to an irritable bowel]Laura Ramos
Unidad de Investigación en Enfermedades Digestivas, Servicio de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Departamento de Medicina, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Espana
Med Clin (Barc) 129:61-9. 2007..In this article we will review the role of the stress-mast cell axis in the modulation of the gut mucosal inflammation and in the pathophysiology of the irritable bowel syndrome...
- Anisakis simplex-induced small bowel obstruction after fish ingestion: preliminary evidence for response to parenteral corticosteroidsLaura Ramos
Digestive System Research Unit, Hospital Universitari Vall d'Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:667-71. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: Although preliminary, our data may suggest that parenteral corticosteroids could be a reasonable, inexpensive, and safe alternative in these patients to prevent intestinal resection...
- Cellular and molecular basis of intestinal barrier dysfunction in the irritable bowel syndromeCristina Martinez
Department of Gastroenterology, Digestive System Research Unit, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Institut de Recerca Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Gut Liver 6:305-15. 2012..This review summarizes the clinical and experimental evidences indicating the cellular and molecular mechanisms of IBS symptomatology, and its relevance for future translational research...
- Unstable composition of the fecal microbiota in ulcerative colitis during clinical remissionCristina Martinez
Digestive Disease Research Unit, University Hospital Vall d Hebron, CIBERehd, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Gastroenterol 103:643-8. 2008..We investigated dynamics of fecal microbiota in ulcerative colitis (UC) during remission by genomic technology...
- Prevalence of functional gastrointestinal disorders in women who report domestic violence to the policeMonica Perona
Institute of Functional and Motor Digestive Disorders, Centro Medico Teknon, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:436-41. 2005....
- Physical and psychological stress in rats enhances colonic epithelial permeability via peripheral CRHPaul R Saunders
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Dig Dis Sci 47:208-15. 2002..We speculate that a stress-induced barrier defect may allow uptake of immunogenic substances into the colonic mucosa, initiating or exacerbating intestinal inflammation...