Affiliation: Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol
- Stable HIV-1 integrase diversity during initial HIV-1 RNA decay suggests complete blockade of plasma HIV-1 replication by effective raltegravir-containing salvage therapyMarc Noguera-Julian
IrsiCaixa AIDS Research Institute HIVACAT, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Ctra de Canyet s n, Badalona 08916, Catalonia, Spain
Virol J 10:350. 2013..The goal of this study was to characterize viral resistance emergence and address viral population evolution during the first phase of viral decay after treatment containing initiation...
- Increase in transmitted resistance to non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors among newly diagnosed HIV-1 infections in EuropeDineke Frentz
Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Infect Dis 14:407. 2014..One out of ten newly diagnosed patients in Europe was infected with a virus carrying a drug resistant mutation. We analysed the patterns over time for transmitted drug resistance mutations (TDRM) using data from the European Spread program...
- Superinfection with drug-resistant HIV is rare and does not contribute substantially to therapy failure in a large European cohortIstván Bartha
Institute of Biology, Eotvos Lorand University, Budapest, Hungary
BMC Infect Dis 13:537. 2013....
- Limited cross-border infections in patients newly diagnosed with HIV in EuropeDineke Frentz
Department of Virology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Retrovirology 10:36. 2013..In this study, phylogenetic associations among HIV of newly diagnosed patients were determined across Europe...
- HIV-1 subtype distribution and its demographic determinants in newly diagnosed patients in Europe suggest highly compartmentalized epidemicsAna B Abecasis
Unidade de Saúde Pública Internacional e Bioestatística, Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Lisboa, Portugal
Retrovirology 10:7. 2013..Sequence variation may affect antiviral drug resistance development, disease progression, evolutionary rates and transmission routes...
- Impact of antiretroviral drugs in pregnant women and their children in Africa: HIV resistance and treatment outcomesRoger Paredes
IrsiCaixa AIDS Research Institute, Badalona, Catalonia, Spain
J Infect Dis 207:S93-100. 2013....
- Clinical management of HIV-1 resistanceRoger Paredes
Institut de Recerca de SIDA irsiCaixa and Fundació Lluita contra SIDA, Servei de Medicina Interna, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Antiviral Res 85:245-65. 2010..This article forms part of a special issue of Antiviral Research marking the 25th anniversary of antiretroviral drug discovery and development, vol. 85, issue 1, 2010...
- Antiretroviral therapy interruption guided by CD4 cell counts and plasma HIV-1 RNA levels in chronically HIV-1-infected patientsLidia Ruiz
Fundació IrsiCaixa and HIV Clinical Unit, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Badalona, Spain
AIDS 21:169-78. 2007..We evaluated the safety of CD4 cell count and plasma HIV-1 RNA (pVL)-guided treatment interruptions (GTI) and determined predictors of duration of treatment interruption...
- Added value of deep sequencing relative to population sequencing in heavily pre-treated HIV-1-infected subjectsFrancisco M Codoñer
Institut de Recerca de la SIDA irsiCaixa HIVACAT, Badalona, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e19461. 2011..To explore the potential of deep HIV-1 sequencing for adding clinically relevant information relative to viral population sequencing in heavily pre-treated HIV-1-infected subjects...
- Compromised immunologic recovery in treatment-experienced patients with HIV infection receiving both tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and didanosine in the TORO studiesEugenia Negredo
Lluita contra la SIDA Foundation, Germans Trias i Pujol University Hospital, Badalona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 41:901-5. 2005..Individuals receiving both agents showed little additional increase in CD4+ cell count after week 8 of therapy, whereas those receiving 1 or neither of the agents had continuous increases over a 48-week period...
- Long-term safety and efficacy of nevirapine-based approaches in HIV type 1-infected patientsAnna Bonjoch
Lluita contra la SIDA Found, AIDS Care Unit, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 22:321-9. 2006..34, 95% CI: 1.22-4.47, p = 0.010). Exposure to nevirapine for up to 4 years is safe. Liver toxicity is infrequent and generally mild. HDL cholesterol levels consistently increase over time and viral suppression is maintained...
- Antiretroviral treatment simplification with 3 NRTIs or 2 NRTIs plus nevirapine in HIV-1-infected patients treated with successful first-line HAARTAnna Bonjoch
AIDS Care Unit, Lluita contra le SIDA Foundation, Germans Trias i Pujol Hospital, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 39:313-6. 2005..coformulated zidovudine/lamivudine plus nevirapine (group 2) in HIV-1-infected patients receiving successful first-line highly active antiretroviral therapy...
- Alternation of antiretroviral drug regimens for HIV infection. Efficacy, safety and tolerability at week 96 of the Swatch StudyEugenia Negredo
Department of Internal Medicine, Lluita contra la SIDA and IrsiCaixa Foundations, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Barcelona, Spain
Antivir Ther 9:889-93. 2004..Alternation of antiretroviral drug regimens has been proposed as a novel treatment strategy for HIV infection. However, some concerns persist regarding antiviral efficacy, adherence, toxicity and resistance evolution in the long term...
- Switching the third drug of antiretroviral therapy to maraviroc in aviraemic subjects: a pilot, prospective, randomized clinical trialAnna Bonjoch
HIV Unit and Fundació Lluita contra la SIDA, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 68:1382-7. 2013..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of switching the third drug of antiretroviral treatment to maraviroc in aviraemic subjects infected with R5 HIV...
- Quality of life, emotional status, and adherence of HIV-1-infected patients treated with efavirenz versus protease inhibitor-containing regimensCarmina R Fumaz
HIV Unit, Fundació Lluita SIDA and IrsiCaixa Retrovirology Laboratory, Germans Trias i Pujol University Hospital, Badalona, Catalonia, Spain
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 29:244-53. 2002....
- HIV-1 tropism testing in subjects achieving undetectable HIV-1 RNA: diagnostic accuracy, viral evolution and compartmentalizationChristian Pou
Institut de Recerca de la SIDA irsiCaixa HIVACAT, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Universitat AutÃ²noma de Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
PLoS ONE 8:e67085. 2013..The preferable tropism testing strategy in subjects with undetectable HIV-1 viremia, in whom plasma tropism testing is not feasible, remains uncertain...
- Unexpected CD4 cell count decline in patients receiving didanosine and tenofovir-based regimens despite undetectable viral loadEugenia Negredo
Lluita contra la SIDA and Irsicaixa Foundations Germans Trias i Pujol Hospital, Badalona, Spain
AIDS 18:459-63. 2004..We recently observed a significant CD4 cell count decline in patients receiving didanosine (ddI) 400 mg, tenofovir (TDF) and nevirapine (NVP), despite virological suppression...
- New antiretroviral drugs and approaches to HIV treatmentRoger Paredes
IrsiCaixa Foundation and Retrovirology Laboratory, Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Badalona, Spain
AIDS 17:S85-96. 2003
- Role of structured treatment interruption before a 5-drug salvage antiretroviral regimen: the Retrogene StudyLidia Ruiz
Retrovirology Laboratory, IrsiCaixa Foundation and Lluita contra la SIDA Foundation, Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Infect Dis 188:977-85. 2003..66; 95% confidence interval, 0.47-0.93; P=.021). A prior STI seems to confer no additional benefit to subsequent virological or immunological outcomes of a salvage regimen...
- HIV-1 infection in subjects older than 70: a multicenter cross-sectional assessment in Catalonia, SpainBeatriz Mothe
Lluita contra la SIDA Foundation, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Catalonia, Spain
Curr HIV Res 7:597-600. 2009..Based on our findings, we suggest some recommendations regarding the management of this growing population...
- Antiretroviral simplification with darunavir/ritonavir monotherapy in routine clinical practice: safety, effectiveness, and impact on lipid profileJose R Santos
Lluita contra la SIDA Foundation, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e37442. 2012....
- Reversal of atherogenic lipoprotein profile in HIV-1 infected patients with lipodystrophy after replacing protease inhibitors by nevirapineEugenia Negredo
Lluita contra la SIDA Foundation, Germans Trias i Pujol University Hospital, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Badalona, Spain
AIDS 16:1383-9. 2002..Treatment simplification approaches in which PI are replaced by nevirapine (NVP) have been shown to improve PI-related toxicity...
- In-depth characterization of viral isolates from plasma and cells compared with plasma circulating quasispecies in early HIV-1 infectionJudith Dalmau
AIDS Research Institute IrsiCaixa, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e32714. 2012....
- Deep molecular characterization of HIV-1 dynamics under suppressive HAARTMaria J Buzon
Institut de Recerca de la SIDA, IrsiCaixa, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Badalona, Spain
PLoS Pathog 7:e1002314. 2011....
- Highly pathogenic adapted HIV-1 strains limit host immunity and dictate rapid disease progressionJudith Dalmau
aAIDS Research Institute IrsiCaixa iInstitut d Investigació en Ciències de la Salut Germans Trias i Pujol, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Badalona, Spain bInstitute of Microbiology, University Hospital Center and University of Lausanne, Lausanne cUniversity Clinic of Infectious Diseases, University Hospital Bern and University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland dUniversidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain eMonogram Biosciences, South San Francisco, California, USA fCentre d Estudis Epidemiològics sobre les Infeccions de Transmissió Sexual i Sida de Catalunya CEEISCAT, Badalona gBanc de Sang i Teixits, Barcelona hUniversitat de Vic UVic UCC, Vic iInstitució Catalana de Recerca i Estudis Avançats ICREA, Barcelona, Spain Judith Dalmau and Margalida Rotger contributed equally to this article Amalio Talenti, Javier Martinez Picado and Julia G Prado contributed equally to the work
AIDS 28:1261-72. 2014..Nevertheless, identification and characterization of the viral and host factors involved in rapid progression are crucial when attempting to uncover the correlates of rapid disease outcome...
- Reversal of HIV-1-associated osteoporosis with once-weekly alendronateEugenia Negredo
Lluita contra la SIDA Foundation, Germans Trias i Pujol University Hospital, Badalona, Barcelona, Spain
AIDS 19:343-5. 2005..Improvements in trochanter BMD were obtained after 2 years. Once-weekly oral alendronate may be an effective and safe treatment for HIV-1-associated osteoporosis...
- No detection of the NS5B S282T mutation in treatment-naïve genotype 1 HCV/HIV-1 coinfected patients using deep sequencingSandra Franco
Fundacio irsiCaixa, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Badalona, Spain
J Clin Virol 58:726-9. 2013..The S282T mutation is the main variant described associated with resistance to nucleos(t)ide analogues hepatitis C virus (HCV) NS5B polymerase inhibitors...
- RECall for automated genotypic tropism testingChristian Pou
IrsiCaixa Institute for AIDS Research, Badalona, Catalonia, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 51:2754-7. 2013....
- The potential role of interleukin-2 in patients with HIV infectionRoger Paredes
Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Barcelona, Spain
AIDS Rev 4:36-40. 2002..The results of the phase III studies should provide an answer to the question of whether or not this is a strategy that will be of clinical benefit...
- Effect of an induction period of pegylated interferon-α2a and ribavirin on early virological response in HIV-HCV-coinfected patients: results from the CORAL-2 studyCristina Tural
HIV Clinical Unit, Internal Medicine Department and Fundació de la Lluita contra la SIDA, University Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Antivir Ther 16:833-41. 2011..It is uncertain whether a 4-week induction period of pegylated interferon and ribavirin increases early virological response (EVR) in HIV-HCV-coinfected patients...
- Dynamic escape of pre-existing raltegravir-resistant HIV-1 from raltegravir selection pressureFrancisco M Codoñer
HIVACAT, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona, Spain
Antiviral Res 88:281-6. 2010....
- Contribution of immunological and virological factors to extremely severe primary HIV type 1 infectionJudith Dalmau
IrsiCaixa Foundation, Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 48:229-38. 2009..However, clinically severe presentations during acute HIV type 1 (HIV-1) infection, including AIDS-defining symptoms, are unusual...
- HLA class I protective alleles in an HIV-1-infected subject homozygous for CCR5-Δ32/Δ32Ester Ballana
IrsiCaixa and AIDS Unit, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Badalona, Spain
Immunobiology 218:543-7. 2013..Importantly, the accumulation of protective factors does not warrant a complete protection to HIV infection and the subsequent life-long treatment...
- CTL responses of high functional avidity and broad variant cross-reactivity are associated with HIV controlBeatriz Mothe
IrsiCaixa AIDS Research Institute HIVACAT, Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e29717. 2012....
- Disseminated cryptococcosis resembling milliary tuberculosis in an HIV-1-infected patientVirginia Pomar
Infectious Diseases Unit, Internal Medicine Department, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, St Antoni Maria Claret 167, Barcelona 08025, Catalonia, Spain
Lancet Infect Dis 5:189. 2005
- Clinical approach to drug resistance interpretation: expert adviceBonaventura Clotet
HIV Unit and Retrovirology Laboratory Irsicaixa Foundation, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, UAB, Badalona, Catalonia, Spain
Curr Opin HIV AIDS 2:145-9. 2007..It provides a continuous update to clinicians and can be made easily and broadly available through conference calls...
- Virological, immunological, and clinical impact of switching from protease inhibitors to nevirapine or to efavirenz in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection and long-lasting viral suppressionEugenia Negredo
Fundació Lluita contra la Sida, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 34:504-10. 2002..Quality of life significantly improved for groups A and B. In patients receiving effective PI-based therapy, the replacement of the PI with either nevirapine or efavirenz is safe and virologically effective...