Laura I Furlong
Affiliation: Hospital del Mar
- Gene-disease network analysis reveals functional modules in mendelian, complex and environmental diseasesAnna Bauer-Mehren
Research Programme on Biomedical Informatics GRIB, IMIM Hospital del Mar Research Institute, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e20284. 2011..Moreover, with the unprecedented wealth of information available, even obtaining such catalogue is extremely difficult...
- Automatic filtering and substantiation of drug safety signalsAnna Bauer-Mehren
Research Programme on Biomedical Informatics GRIB, IMIM Hospital del Mar Research Institute, DCEX, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS Comput Biol 8:e1002457. 2012..The methodology and workflows presented offer a novel approach to explore the molecular mechanisms underlying adverse drug reactions...
- Human diseases through the lens of network biologyLaura I Furlong
Research Programme on Biomedical Informatics GRIB, Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute IMIM, Universitat Pompeu Fabra UPF, c Dr Aiguader, 88, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Trends Genet 29:150-9. 2013....
- Challenges in the association of human single nucleotide polymorphism mentions with unique database identifiersPhilippe E Thomas
Fraunhofer Institute for Algorithms and Scientific Computing SCAI, Department of Bioinformatics, Schloss Birlinghoven, 53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany
BMC Bioinformatics 12:S4. 2011..g. the search for biological implications. To overcome these challenges, procedures to map textual mentions of variations to database identifiers need to be developed...
- OSIRISv1.2: a named entity recognition system for sequence variants of genes in biomedical literatureLaura I Furlong
Research Unit on Biomedical Informatics GRIB, IMIM, UPF, PRBB, C Dr, Aiguader 88, E 08003 Barcelona, Spain
BMC Bioinformatics 9:84. 2008..Thus, automatic systems for the identification of citations of allelic variants of genes in biomedical texts are required...
- From SNPs to pathways: integration of functional effect of sequence variations on models of cell signalling pathwaysAnna Bauer-Mehren
IMIM Hospital del Mar, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
BMC Bioinformatics 10:S6. 2009..However, no strategy has been developed to integrate this information with biological networks, with the ultimate goal of studying the impact of the functional effect of SNPs in the structure and dynamics of biological networks...
- DisGeNET: a Cytoscape plugin to visualize, integrate, search and analyze gene-disease networksAnna Bauer-Mehren
Research Programme on Biomedical Informatics GRIB IMIM, DCEXS, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, C Dr Aiguader 88, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Bioinformatics 26:2924-6. 2010..Moreover, DisGeNET permits multicolouring of nodes (genes/diseases) according to standard disease classification for expedient visualization...
- Pathway databases and tools for their exploitation: benefits, current limitations and challengesAnna Bauer-Mehren
Research Unit on Biomedical Informatics GRIB, IMIM Hospital del Mar, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona Biomedical Research Park, Dr Aiguader 88, Barcelona, Spain
Mol Syst Biol 5:290. 2009..However, are the knowledge repositories of signalling pathways ready to realize the systems biology promise? In this article we aim to initiate this discussion and to provide some insights on this issue...
- Identifying gene-specific variations in biomedical textRoman Klinger
Department of Bioinformatics, Fraunhofer Institute for Algorithms and Scientific Computing, Schloss Birlinghoven, 53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany
J Bioinform Comput Biol 5:1277-96. 2007..The performance of this novel approach is evaluated, and improved results in comparison to state-of-the-art systems are reported...