Affiliation: Hospital del Mar
- Sanchez Rodriguez E, Lima Cabello E, Biel Glesson S, Fernandez Navarro J, Calleja M, Roca M, et al. Effects of Virgin Olive Oils Differing in Their Bioactive Compound Contents on Metabolic Syndrome and Endothelial Functional Risk Biomarkers in Healthy Adults: A Randomized Double-Blind Controlled Trial. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..No effect of triterpenes was observed after three weeks of interventions. Results need to be confirmed in subjects with metabolic syndrome and impaired endothelial function (Clinical Trials number NCT02520739). ..
- MartÃn PelÃ¡ez S, Mosele J, Pizarro N, FarrÃ s M, de la Torre R, Subirana I, et al. Effect of virgin olive oil and thyme phenolic compounds on blood lipid profile: implications of human gut microbiota. Eur J Nutr. 2017;56:119-131 pubmed publisher..This cardio-protective effect could be mediated by the increases in populations of bifidobacteria together with increases in PC microbial metabolites with antioxidant activities. ..
- MartÃn PelÃ¡ez S, CastaÃ±er O, Konstantinidou V, Subirana I, MuÃ±oz Aguayo D, Blanchart G, et al. Effect of olive oil phenolic compounds on the expression of blood pressure-related genes in healthy individuals. Eur J Nutr. 2017;56:663-670 pubmed publisher..These changes could underlie the decrease in systolic blood pressure observed. ..
- Fito M, Melander O, Martinez J, Toledo E, Carpene C, Corella D. Advances in Integrating Traditional and Omic Biomarkers When Analyzing the Effects of the Mediterranean Diet Intervention in Cardiovascular Prevention. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, these preliminary results can help to better understand the inter-individual differences in cardiovascular risk and dietary response for further applications in personalized nutrition. ..
- Pastor A, RodrÃguez MoratÃ³ J, Olesti E, Pujadas M, PÃ©rez MaÃ±Ã¡ C, Khymenets O, et al. Analysis of free hydroxytyrosol in human plasma following the administration of olive oil. J Chromatogr A. 2016;1437:183-190 pubmed publisher..The present methodology opens the door to a better understanding of the relationship between HT plasma concentrations and its beneficial health effects. ..
- Fito M, Cladellas M, de la Torre R, Marti J, Munoz D, Schroder H, et al. Anti-inflammatory effect of virgin olive oil in stable coronary disease patients: a randomized, crossover, controlled trial. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008;62:570-4 pubmed..Consumption of virgin olive oil, could provide beneficial effects in stable coronary heart disease patients as an additional intervention to the pharmacological treatment. ..
- Arpón A, Milagro F, Razquin C, Corella D, Estruch R, Fito M, et al. Impact of Consuming Extra-Virgin Olive Oil or Nuts within a Mediterranean Diet on DNA Methylation in Peripheral White Blood Cells within the PREDIMED-Navarra Randomized Controlled Trial: A Role for Dietary Lipids. Nutrients. 2017;10: pubmed publisher
- Corella D, Coltell O, Sorli J, Estruch R, Quiles L, Martinez Gonzalez M, et al. Polymorphism of the Transcription Factor 7-Like 2 Gene (TCF7L2) Interacts with Obesity on Type-2 Diabetes in the PREDIMED Study Emphasizing the Heterogeneity of Genetic Variants in Type-2 Diabetes Risk Prediction: Time for Obesity-Specific Genetic Ri. Nutrients. 2016;8: pubmed..In conclusion, we provide strong evidence supporting the need for considering obesity when analyzing the TCF7L2 effects and propose the use of obesity-specific GRS for T2D. ..
- Parri A, Fito M, Torres C, Muñoz Aguayo D, Schroder H, Cano J, et al. Alkylglycerols reduce serum complement and plasma vascular endothelial growth factor in obese individuals. Inflammopharmacology. 2016;24:127-31 pubmed publisher..05) versus both baseline and after LAC. No adverse effects were observed or reported. Data from this pilot study open a promising field for the study of the beneficial effects of AKGs on cardiovascular risk factors in obese individuals. ..
- Fito M, Konstantinidou V. Nutritional Genomics and the Mediterranean Diet's Effects on Human Cardiovascular Health. Nutrients. 2016;8:218 pubmed publisher..In the present work, we review the results of nutritional genomics explaining the role of the Mediterranean diet in human cardiovascular disease. A multidisciplinary approach is necessary to extract knowledge from large-scale data. ..
- Martín Peláez S, Castañer O, Solà R, Motilva M, Castell M, Pérez Cano F, et al. Influence of Phenol-Enriched Olive Oils on Human Intestinal Immune Function. Nutrients. 2016;8:213 pubmed publisher..Results indicate a potential stimulation of the immune system with very high doses of OO PC, which should be further investigated. ..
- Corella D, Asensio E, Coltell O, SorlÃ J, Estruch R, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, et al. CLOCK gene variation is associated with incidence of type-2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases in type-2 diabetic subjects: dietary modulation in the PREDIMED randomized trial. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2016;15:4 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we report for the first time an association between a CLOCK polymorphism and stroke in T2D subjects, suggesting that core clock genes may significantly contribute to increased CVD risk in T2D. ..
- Bargallo N, Gilabert R, Romero Mamani E, Cofan M, Calder P, Fito M, et al. Red Blood Cell Eicosapentaenoic Acid Inversely Relates to MRI-Assessed Carotid Plaque Lipid Core Burden in Elders at High Cardiovascular Risk. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..The inverse association between EPA and plaque lipid content in patients with advanced atherosclerosis supports the notion that this fatty acid might improve cardiovascular health through stabilization of advanced atheroma plaques. ..
- Pozo O, Pujadas M, Gleeson S, Mesa García M, Pastor A, Kotronoulas A, et al. Liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometric determination of triterpenes in human fluids: Evaluation of markers of dietary intake of olive oil and metabolic disposition of oleanolic acid and maslinic acid in humans. Anal Chim Acta. 2017;990:84-95 pubmed publisher..Samples from two healthy volunteers who received virgin olive oils with different triterpenes content were analyzed. Some preliminary clues on the metabolic disposition of OA and MA after olive oil intake are provided. ..
- Farras M, Fernández Castillejo S, Rubio L, Arranz S, Catalán U, Subirana I, et al. Phenol-enriched olive oils improve HDL antioxidant content in hypercholesterolemic subjects. A randomized, double-blind, cross-over, controlled trial. J Nutr Biochem. 2018;51:99-104 pubmed publisher..Complementary phenol-enriched olive oil could be a useful dietary tool for improving HDL richness in antioxidants. ..
- Guo X, Tresserra Rimbau A, Estruch R, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, Medina RemÃ³n A, FitÃ³ M, et al. Polyphenol Levels Are Inversely Correlated with Body Weight and Obesity in an Elderly Population after 5 Years of Follow Up (The Randomised PREDIMED Study). Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..408; 95% CI: -0.788 to -0.028, p = 0.036) after adjustments for potential confounders. To conclude, a greater polyphenol intake may thus contribute to reducing body weight in elderly people at high cardiovascular risk. ..
- GarcÃa Layana A, Ciufo G, Toledo E, MartÃnez GonzÃ¡lez M, Corella D, FitÃ³ M, et al. The Effect of a Mediterranean Diet on the Incidence of Cataract Surgery. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Further studies are necessary to investigate whether a MedDiet could have a preventive role in cataract surgery. ..
- de la Torre R, Corella D, Castañer O, Martinez Gonzalez M, Salas Salvador J, Vila J, et al. Protective effect of homovanillyl alcohol on cardiovascular disease and total mortality: virgin olive oil, wine, and catechol-methylathion. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;105:1297-1304 pubmed publisher..The association that stems from our results reinforces the benefits of 2 key components of the Mediterranean diet (wine and VOO). This trial was registered at www.predimed.es as ISRCTN35739639. ..
- Hernaéz A, Castañer O, Elosua R, Pintó X, Estruch R, Salas Salvado J, et al. Mediterranean Diet Improves High-Density Lipoprotein Function in High-Cardiovascular-Risk Individuals: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Circulation. 2017;135:633-643 pubmed publisher..001). The TMD, especially when enriched with virgin olive oil, improved HDL atheroprotective functions in humans. URL: http://www.controlled-trials.com. Unique identifier: ISRCTN35739639. ..
- HernÃ¡ez Ã, Remaley A, FarrÃ s M, FernÃ¡ndez Castillejo S, Subirana I, SchrÃ¶der H, et al. Olive Oil Polyphenols Decrease LDL Concentrations and LDL Atherogenicity in Men in a Randomized Controlled Trial. J Nutr. 2015;145:1692-7 pubmed publisher..The consumption of olive oil polyphenols decreased plasma LDL concentrations and LDL atherogenicity in healthy young men. This trial was registered at www.controlled-trials.com as ISRCTN09220811. ..