Affiliation: Hospital Universitario
- The health, activity, dyspnea, obstruction, age, and hospitalization: prognostic score for stable COPD patientsCristobal Esteban
Pneumology Department, Hospital Galdakao Usansolo, 48960 Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
Respir Med 105:1662-70. 2011..Because it uses only easily accessible measures, it could be useful at all levels of care...
- Development of a decision tree to assess the severity and prognosis of stable COPDC Esteban
Service of Pneumology, Hospital de Galdakao Usansolo, Barrio Labeaga s n 48960 Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
Eur Respir J 38:1294-300. 2011..A simple decision tree that uses variables commonly gathered by physicians can provide a quick assessment of the severity of the disease, as measured by the risk of 5-yr mortality...
- [Safety of inhaled corticosteroids in COPD]CristÃ³bal Esteban
Servicio de NeumologÃa, Hospital Galdakao Usansolo, Galdakao, Bizkaia, EspaÃ±a
Arch Bronconeumol 46:28-35. 2010..However, given the growing frequency of the use of these drugs, awareness of their potential adverse effects is essential, especially since the pharmacodynamic characteristics of the distinct IC differ widely...
- BODE-Index vs HADO-score in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Which one to use in general practice?Cristobal Esteban
Pneumology Department, Hospital Galdakao Usansolo, Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
BMC Med 8:28. 2010..Two instruments, the BODE-index (Body mass index, Obstruction, Dyspnea, Exercise capacity) and the HADO-score (Health, Activity, Dyspnea, Obstruction), were compared in the prediction of mortality among COPD patients...
- [Role of physical activity in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]Cristobal Esteban
Servicio de Neumologia, Hospital Galdakao Usansolo, Galdakao, Bizkaia, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 45:7-13. 2009....
- Impact of changes in physical activity on health-related quality of life among patients with COPDC Esteban
Pneumology Dept, Hospital Galdakao Usansolo, Spain
Eur Respir J 36:292-300. 2010..Among COPD patients, a reduction in time spent engaging in PA or maintaining a low level may impair HRQoL, whereas an increase in PA can improve HRQoL parameters...
- Impact of hospitalisations for exacerbations of COPD on health-related quality of lifeCristobal Esteban
Pneumology Department, Hospital Galdakao Usansolo, Barrio Labeaga s n 48960, Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
Respir Med 103:1201-8. 2009..Hospitalisations for exacerbations of COPD have an independent and negative impact on the evolution of HRQoL, regardless of COPD severity...
- Predictors of mortality in patients with stable COPDCristobal Esteban
Pneumology Department, Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
J Gen Intern Med 23:1829-34. 2008..To determine which easily available clinical factors are associated with mortality in patients with stable COPD and if health-related quality of life (HRQoL) provides additional information...
- A simple score for assessing stable chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseC Esteban
Pneumology Service, Hospital de Galdakao, Barrio Labeaga s n 48960, Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
QJM 99:751-9. 2006..Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is usually assessed using FEV(1) to establish the diagnosis and the severity of the disease. However, COPD is now considered a systemic disease...
- [Description of a sample of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treated at hospital-supervised respiratory clinics at primary care centers]C Esteban
Servicio de Neumología Hospital Galdakao Vizcaya España
Arch Bronconeumol 39:485-90. 2003....
- Use of medication and quality of life among patients with COPDCristobal Esteban
Service of Pneumology, Hospital de Galdakao, Barrio Labeaga s n 48960 Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
Respir Med 100:487-95. 2006..To determine the medications prescribed to patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and their relationship to health-related quality of life (HRQL)...
- Classifying the severity of COPD: are the new severity scales better than the old?Cristobal Esteban
Pneumology Department, Hospital de Galdakao Usansolo, Galdakao, Vizcaya, Spain
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:783-90. 2009..Forced expiratory volume in 1 second cut-off points establish the severity of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Etiology of community-acquired pneumonia in a population-based study: link between etiology and patients characteristics, process-of-care, clinical evolution and outcomesAlberto Capelastegui
Pneumology Service Hospital Galdakao, Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
BMC Infect Dis 12:134. 2012..Furthermore, the majority of pneumonia etiologic studies are based on hospitalized patients, whereas there have been no recent population-based studies encompassing both inpatients and outpatients...
- Predictors of patient satisfaction with hospital health careJose M Quintana
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital de Galdakao, Galdakao, Spain
BMC Health Serv Res 6:102. 2006..We evaluated possible predictors of patient satisfaction in relation to socio-demographic variables, history of admission, and survey logistics...
- Study of community-acquired pneumonia: incidence, patterns of care, and outcomes in primary and hospital careAlberto Capelastegui
Pneumology Service Hospital Galdakao, 48960 Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
J Infect 61:364-71. 2010..To asses the incidence, patterns of care, and outcomes of community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) in the population of a defined geographic area...
- [Patient satisfaction in 4 hospitals of the Basque Health Service]Nerea Gonzalez
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital Galdakao Usansolo, CIBER en Epidemiología y Salud Pública CIBERESP, Bizkaia, Espana
Gac Sanit 22:210-7. 2008..To compare patient satisfaction in 4 acute hospitals...
- Validation and comparison of SCAP as a predictive score for identifying low-risk patients in community-acquired pneumoniaPedro P España
Pneumology Service Hospital Galdakao, E 48960 Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
J Infect 60:106-13. 2010..2) To validate its ability to identifying patients at low risk of death. (3) To compare it against the Pneumonia Severity Index (PSI), and the British Thoracic Society's CURB-65 rules...
- Declining length of hospital stay for pneumonia and postdischarge outcomesAlberto Capelastegui
Pneumology Service, Galdakao Hospital, Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
Am J Med 121:845-52. 2008..This study was designed to assess 8-year trends in the duration of hospitalization for community-acquired pneumonia and to evaluate the impact of declining length of stay on postdischarge short-term readmission and mortality...
- Application of appropriateness criteria for hospitalization in COPD exacerbationSusana Garcia-Gutierrez
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital Galdakao Usansolo, Red de Investigación en Servicios de Salud en Enfermedades Crónicas REDISSEC, Barrio Labeaga s n, 48960, Galdakao, Vizcaya, Spain
Intern Emerg Med 8:349-57. 2013....
- The IRYSS-COPD appropriateness study: objectives, methodology, and description of the prospective cohortJose M Quintana
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital Galdakao Usansolo CIBER Epidemiología y Salud Pública CIBERESP, Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
BMC Health Serv Res 11:322. 2011..To address these important gaps in clinical care, we created the IRYSS-COPD Appropriateness Study...
- Development and validation of a clinical prediction rule for severe community-acquired pneumoniaPedro P España
Service of Pneumology, Department of Emergency Medicine, Research Unit, Hospital de Galdakao, Galdako, Bizkaia, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:1249-56. 2006..Objective strategies are needed to improve the diagnosis of severe community-acquired pneumonia in the emergency department setting...
- COPD exacerbation: mortality prognosis factors in a respiratory care unitMyriam Aburto
Servicio de Neumologia, Hospital de Galdakao, Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
Arch Bronconeumol 47:79-84. 2011..The aim of our study was to investigate the mortality predictive factors after a severe exacerbations of COPD admitted to a Spanish respiratory intermediate care unit (IRCU)...
- Impact of anxiety and depression on disease control and quality of life in asthma patientsIsabel Urrutia
Pneumology Service, Galdakao Usánsolo Hospital, Bizkaia, Spain
J Asthma 49:201-8. 2012..These comorbidities may affect asthma control and quality of life. The objective of this study was to assess the impact of anxiety and depression on asthma control and quality of life...
- [A year's experience in an intermediate respiratory care unit]Myriam Aburto
Servicio de Neumologia, Hospital de Galdakao, Bizkaia, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 45:533-9. 2009..The aim of this study was to describe the characteristics and results of patients admitted to an intermediate respiratory care unit (IRCU)...
- Development and validation of an in-patient satisfaction questionnaireNerea Gonzalez
Research Unit, Hospital of Galdakao, Galdakao, Spain
Int J Qual Health Care 17:465-72. 2005..To develop a psychometrically sound, hospital patient satisfaction questionnaire to be administered to patients discharged from medical and surgical services...
- Evaluation of the psychometric characteristics of the Spanish version of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression ScaleJ M Quintana
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital de Galdakao, Bizkaia, Spain
Acta Psychiatr Scand 107:216-21. 2003..To assess the psychometric properties of the Spanish version of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale(HADS)...
- [Reference figures for pulmonary artery pressures after effective treatment of Graves' disease]J Moraza
Servicio de Neumologia, Hospital de Galdakao, Vizcaya, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 39:45-7. 2003..The possible pathogenic mechanisms involved in this association include the presence of hyperdynamic heart failure and/or the presence of immune alterations underlying both conditions...