Affiliation: Hospital Universitari Vall d'Hebron
- [Early detection, prevention and management of renal failure in liver transplantation]Lluis Castells
Servicio de Medicina Interna Hepatología, Hospital Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, España Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Enfermedades Hepáticas y Digestivas CIBEREHD, Barcelona, España Electronic address
Gastroenterol Hepatol 37:480-91. 2014..In addition, this document also provides an update of the various immunosuppressive regimens tested in this population for the prevention and control of post-transplantation deterioration of renal function. ..
- Combined treatment with pegylated interferon (alpha-2b) and ribavirin in the acute phase of hepatitis C virus recurrence after liver transplantationLluis Castells
Liver Unit, Internal Medicine Department, Hospital General Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Ps Vall d Hebron 119 129, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 43:53-9. 2005..The efficacy and safety of treatment with pegylated interferon alpha-2b (Peg-Intron, 1.5 microg/kg) and ribavirin (400-800 mg) in the acute phase of recurrent HCV after LT is presented...
- Early antiviral treatment of hepatitis C virus recurrence after liver transplantation in HIV-infected patientsLluis Castells
Liver Unit, Department of Medicine, Hospital Universitari Vail d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Antivir Ther 11:1061-70. 2006..To investigate the efficacy of early antiviral treatment for hepatitis C virus (HCV) recurrence in HIV/HCV-coinfected patients undergoing liver transplantation for end-stage liver disease...
- [Viral hepatitides infections in transplant recipients]Lluis Castells
Servicio de Medicina Interna Hepatología, Hospital General Universitario Vall d Hebron, Universidad Autonoma, Barcelona, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 24:118-28. 2006..The best patient selection (in non-replicative phase), the indefinite use of hyperimmune anti-hepatitis B immunoglobulin and the use of the new antiviral drugs have made possible a significant improvement in graft and patient survival...
- Single HCC in cirrhotic patients: liver resection or liver transplantation? Long-term outcome according to an intention-to-treat basisGonzalo Sapisochin
Department of HBP Surgery and Transplantation, Hospital Universitario Vall d Hebron, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Surg Oncol 20:1194-202. 2013..We aimed to assess the long-term outcome of cirrhotic patients with single HCC ≤5 cm treated either with LR or LT on an intention-to-treat basis...
- Does pre-liver transplant HBV DNA level affect HBV recurrence or survival in liver transplant recipients receiving HBIg and nucleos(t)ide analogues?Isabel Campos-Varela
Liver Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Universitario Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Hepatol 10:180-7. 2011..The risk of recurrent hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection and prognosis of liver transplantation in patients with HBV has dramatically changed with the use of prophylaxis including hepatitis B immune globulin (HBIg) and antiviral agents...
- Twelve-week posttreatment follow-up to predict sustained virologic response for recurrent hepatitis C infection in liver recipientsIsabel Campos-Varela
Liver Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Institut de Recerca VHIR, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 93:450-3. 2012..This study evaluates the value of HCV-RNA determination at 12 weeks posttreatment (W+12) to predict SVR in liver transplant (LT) patients treated with pegylated interferon and ribavirin for recurrent HCV infection...
- Liver transplantation in HIV-HCV coinfected patients: a case-control studyLluis Castells
Liver Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 83:354-8. 2007..1%) of the control group and one patient (20%) of the HIV group presented a sustained virologic response (P=NS). Short- to midterm results of LT in HIV-HCV co-infected patients were excellent and similar to non-HIV patients...
- Resection for hepatocellular carcinoma is a good option in Child-Turcotte-Pugh class A patients with cirrhosis who are eligible for liver transplantationCarlos Margarit
Liver Transplantation Unit, Department of Surgery, Hospital Vall Hebron, Universidad Autonoma, Barcelona, Spain
Liver Transpl 11:1242-51. 2005..Salvage liver transplantation was performed in 16.2% of resected patients, with older age being the main contraindication. Outcome of salvage LT was similar to that of primary LT...
- Applicability of liver transplantation in Catalonia at the end of the millennium. A prospective study of adult patient selection for liver transplantationVictor Vargas
Liver Transplant Unit, Hospital Vall d Hebron, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Paseo Vall d Hebron 119, 08035, Barcelona, Spain
Transpl Int 16:270-5. 2003....
- Outcome of early vs. deferred antiviral treatment for recurrent hepatitis C in liver transplant recipientsIsabel Campos-Varela
Liver Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona Barcelona, Spain
Ann Hepatol 13:219-30. 2014..In HCV-infected LT recipients, elevated bilirubin, older donor age, and failure to achieve SVR are independently associated with increased mortality. ..
- Imaging of hepatitis C virus infection in liver grafts after liver transplantationLaura Mensa
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, CIBERehd, Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 59:271-8. 2013..The aim of our study was to characterize HCV antigens in liver grafts...
- A prospective randomized trial comparing tacrolimus and steroids with tacrolimus monotherapy in liver transplantation: the impact on recurrence of hepatitis CCarlos Margarit
Liver Transplantation Unit, Department of General Surgery, Hospital Vall Hebron, Universidad Autonoma Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transpl Int 18:1336-45. 2005..The main advantage of this regimen could be in HCV patients, as recurrence of hepatitis in the graft was less severe in the group of patients in whom steroids could be avoided completely...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt for the treatment of sinusoidal obstruction syndrome in a liver transplant recipient and review of the literatureIsabel Campos-Varela
Liver Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Institut de Recerca, Barcelona, Spain
Liver Transpl 18:201-5. 2012..Nonetheless, a formal assessment and prospective studies are needed to confidently indicate TIPS placement in this situation...
- Successful conversion from twice-daily to once-daily tacrolimus in liver transplantation: observational multicenter studyCristina Dopazo
Department of HPB Surgery and Transplants, Hospital Universitario Vall d Hebron, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Transplant 26:E32-7. 2012..Compliance with immunosuppressive therapy in liver transplant patients is critical to prevent acute organ rejection and/or late graft loss. Strategies to simplify the therapeutic regimen may improve adherence...
- Etiology and mortality of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in liver transplant recipients: a cohort studyCristina Pérez-Cameo
Liver Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Vall d Hebron Hospital, Barcelona, Spain
Liver Transpl 20:856-63. 2014..45). At 6 months, the risk factors for mortality were a MELD score > 18 (OR = 3.08), being an LT recipient (OR = 3.47), a known etiology (OR = 2.08), and the presence of hepatocellular carcinoma (OR = 3.73)...
- Clinical impact and efficacy of lamivudine therapy in de novo hepatitis B infection after liver transplantationLluis Castells
Liver Unit, Department of Biochemestry, Hospital General Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Liver Transpl 8:892-900. 2002....
- Safety of liver transplantation with Chagas disease-seropositive donors for seronegative recipientsFernando Salvador
Department of Infectious Diseases, Vall d Hebron University Hospital, Barcelona, Spain
Liver Transpl 17:1304-8. 2011..We also provide a review of the literature and emphasize donor screening and preventive measures...
- Liver biopsy-related infection in liver transplant recipients: A current matter of concern?Cristina López Sánchez
Departments of Infectious Diseases, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Liver Transpl 20:552-6. 2014....
- High-resolution hepatitis C virus subtyping using NS5B deep sequencing and phylogeny, an alternative to current methodsJosep Quer
Liver Unit, Internal Medicine, Lab Malalties Hepàtiques, Vall d Hebron Institut Recerca Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron VHIR HUVH, Barcelona, Spain Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red CIBER de Enfermedades Hepáticas y Digestivas CIBERehd del Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 53:219-26. 2015....
- Indocyanine green plasma disappearance rate: a new tool for the classification of paediatric patients with acute liver failureJesús Quintero
Pediatric Liver Transplant Unit, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
Liver Int 34:689-94. 2014..The present study assessed the use the of indocyanine green plasma disappearance rate as a tool to predict the evolution of pediatric patients with acute liver failure...
- Liver transplantation for malignant diseases: selection and pattern of recurrenceCarlos Margarit
Liver Transplantation Unit, Department of Surgery, Hospital General Vall Hebron, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
World J Surg 26:257-63. 2002..Liver transplantation for other malignancies is admitted only in fibrolamellar hepatoma, hepatoblastoma, epithelioid hemangioendothelioma without extrahepatic disease, and in metastases from carcinoid tumors...
- Cirrhosis, liver transplantation and HIV infection are risk factors associated with hepatitis E virus infectionMar Riveiro-Barciela
Liver Unit, Internal Medicine Department, Hospital Universitario Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 9:e103028. 2014..However, data regarding the epidemiology of hepatitis E in special populations is still limited...
- Clinically relevant differences in the model for end-stage liver disease and model for end-stage liver disease-sodium scores determined at three university-based laboratories of the same areaXavier Xiol
Liver Transplant Unit, Institut d Investigacio Biomedica de Bellvitge, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Liver Transpl 15:300-5. 2009..Alternatively, the possibility of setting up a central laboratory in each organ procurement area should be considered...
- Pegylated interferon plus ribavirin in HIV-infected patients with recurrent hepatitis C after liver transplantation: a prospective cohort studyLluis Castells
Hospital Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain CIBERehd, Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 62:92-100. 2015..The aim of this study was to evaluate the results of treatment with pegylated interferon and ribavirin for the recurrence of hepatitis C after liver transplantation in HCV/HIV-coinfected patients...
- Chemoembolization of hepatocellular carcinoma with drug eluting beads: efficacy and doxorubicin pharmacokineticsMaria Varela
Liver Unit, IMDM, Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer BCLC Group, Hospital Clinic, CIBER HEPAD, University of Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 46:474-81. 2007..This study assesses the safety, pharmacokinetics and efficacy of transarterial chemoembolization using drug eluting beads (DEB), an embolizing device that slowly releases chemotherapy to decrease systemic toxicity...
- Comparison of rifaximin and lactitol in the treatment of acute hepatic encephalopathy: results of a randomized, double-blind, double-dummy, controlled clinical trialAntoni Mas
Liver Unit, Institut de Malalties Digestives, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 38:51-8. 2003..The efficacy and safety of rifaximin in comparison with lactitol in the treatment of acute hepatic encephalopathy was assessed in a prospective randomized, double-blind, double-dummy, controlled trial...
- [Prognostic scores of cirrhosis]Isabel Campos-Varela
Centro de Investigacion Biomedica en Red de Enfermedades Hepaticas y Digestivas CIBERehd, Unidad de Hepatologia, Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital General Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Espana
Gastroenterol Hepatol 31:439-46. 2008..and certain comorbidities in patients with cirrhosis (hepatic encephalopathy, hyponatremia, refractory ascites) are not well represented in the MELD...