Affiliation: Hospital Universitario
- Impact of Sunscreens on Preventing UVR-Induced Effects in Nevi: In Vivo Study Comparing Protection Using a Physical Barrier vs SunscreenCristina Carrera
Melanoma Unit, Hospital ClÃnic de Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions BiomÃ¨diques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain2Centro de Investigaciones BiomÃ¨dicas en Red de Enfermedades Raras, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Barcelona, Spain
JAMA Dermatol 149:803-13. 2013..Subclinical UV radiation effects, not always associated with visible changes, can develop even after protection. Sunscreens are not quite as effective as physical barriers in the prevention of inflammatory UV-B-induced effects. ..
- Early stages of melanoma on the limbs of high-risk patients: clinical, dermoscopic, reflectance confocal microscopy and histopathological characterization for improved recognitionCristina Carrera
Department of Dermatology, Melanoma and Dermatopathology Units, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Acta Derm Venereol 91:137-46. 2011..Although the biological behaviour of these incipient tumours remains uncertain, the most appropriate treatment seems to be recognition and proper excision...
- Pyoderma vegetans associated with severe psoriatic arthritis: good response to etanerceptCristina Carrera
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Barcelona University, Barcelona, Spain
Dermatology 214:77-81. 2007..Etanercept was introduced, which resulted in a marked improvement within 3 weeks. Herein, we report a diagnostic and therapeutic challenge of the first case of PV associated with psoriasis that presented a good response to etanercept...
- Seborrheic keratosislike melanoma with folliculotropismCristina Carrera
Melanoma Unit, Department of Dermatology, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Spain
Arch Dermatol 143:373-6. 2007..Dermoscopic examination of pigmented tumors improves the diagnostic accuracy in these challenging lesions. In these tumors, numerous comedolike openings are present...
- Characterization of 1152 lesions excised over 10 years using total-body photography and digital dermatoscopy in the surveillance of patients at high risk for melanomaGabriel Salerni
Melanoma Unit, Dermatology Department, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
J Am Acad Dermatol 67:836-45. 2012..The combined use of total-body photography and digital dermatoscopy, named "two-step method of digital follow-up," allowed the detection of incipient melanoma as a result of dermatoscopic or macroscopic changes during follow-up...
- Development of a two-step method for the diagnosis of melanoma by reflectance confocal microscopySonia Segura
Department of Dermatology, Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Passeig Maritim 25 29, Barcelona 08003, Spain
J Am Acad Dermatol 61:216-29. 2009..Reflectance confocal microscopy (RCM) has been shown to improve accuracy in the differentiation of nevus from melanoma, but only a few studies have evaluated both melanocytic lesions (ML) and non-ML...
- Genetic counseling in melanomaCelia Badenas
Centro Investigación Biomédica en Red en Enfermedades Raras CIBERER, Biochemical and Molecular Genetics Service, Melanoma Unit, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel, Barcelona, Spain
Dermatol Ther 25:397-402. 2012..In countries with a high incidence, families with three cases of melanoma, with two melanomas and one pancreatic adenocarcinoma, or patients with three primary melanomas, may benefit from genetic testing...
- Benefits of total body photography and digital dermatoscopy ("two-step method of digital follow-up") in the early diagnosis of melanoma in patients at high risk for melanomaGabriel Salerni
Melanoma Unit, Dermatology Department, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
J Am Acad Dermatol 67:e17-27. 2012..Early detection of melanoma is the best way to improve prognosis. Digital follow-up (DFU) programs of populations at high risk could be an efficient strategy for detecting early melanomas with low morbidity...
- Adult xanthogranuloma mimicking basal cell carcinoma: dermoscopy, reflectance confocal microscopy and pathological correlationLouise Lovato
Dermatology Department, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, CIBER de Enfermedades Raras, Barcelona, Spain
Dermatology 220:66-70. 2010..To our knowledge this is the first description of the clinical, dermoscopic and confocal microscopy correlations of a xanthogranuloma...
- Development of a human in vivo method to study the effect of ultraviolet radiation and sunscreens in melanocytic neviCristina Carrera
Melanoma Unit, Dermatology Department, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Dermatology 217:124-36. 2008..The aim was to design and validate an in vivo human model to study the influence of UVR and sunscreen protection on nevi...
- Genetic alterations in RAS-regulated pathway in acral lentiginous melanomaJoan A Puig-Butille
Centro Investigación Biomédica en Enfermedades Raras, ISCIII, Barcelona, Spain
Exp Dermatol 22:148-50. 2013..Gains of 11q13 and 20q13 were mutually exclusive, and 1p13.2 gain was associated with 5p15.33. Our findings showed that alterations in RAS-related pathways are present in 87.5% of acral lentiginous melanomas...
- Homogeneous blue pattern in an acral congenital melanocytic nevusAnastasia A Garrido-Ríos
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Clinico Universitario de Valladolid, Valladolid, Spain
Dermatology 217:315-7. 2008..The recognition of this pattern in benign acral congenital nevi is relevant in the clinical decision making concerning acral tumors...
- Pigmented spindle cell nevus: clues for differentiating it from spindle cell malignant melanoma. A comprehensive survey including clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and FISH studiesAlba Diaz
Department of Pathology, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Spain
Am J Surg Pathol 35:1733-42. 2011..However, ancillary techniques such as proliferation antigen Ki-67, cyclin D1, survivin, and FISH can be useful as adjunctive tools...
- In vivo confocal reflectance microscopy in melanomaCristina Carrera
Melanoma Unit, Dermatology Department, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
Dermatol Ther 25:410-22. 2012....
- Melanomas detected in a follow-up program compared with melanomas referred to a melanoma unitGabriel Salerni
Melanoma Unit, Dermatology Department, Hospital Clinic Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Arch Dermatol 147:549-55. 2011..To compare melanomas diagnosed in patients included in follow-up programs with melanomas diagnosed in patients referred to a melanoma unit...
- Correlation among Dermoscopy, Confocal Reflectance Microscopy, and Histologic Features of Melanoma and Basal Cell Carcinoma Collision TumorGabriel Salerni
Melanoma Unit, Department of Dermatology Department of Pathology Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics Service, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Dermatol Surg 37:275-9. 2011..The authors have indicated no significant interest with commercial supporters...
- Dendritic cells in pigmented basal cell carcinoma: a relevant finding by reflectance-mode confocal microscopySonia Segura
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Clinic Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Arch Dermatol 143:883-6. 2007..We studied 3 consecutive pigmented BCC by means of RCM and performed a histological and immunohistochemical correlation focusing on the presence of dendritic structures...
- Dermoscopy in epidermodysplasia verruciformisSonia Segura
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, 170 Villaroel, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Dermatol Surg 32:103-6. 2006..Patients affected with EV are not able to eliminate oncogenic viruses within lesions, leading to a malignant transformation...
- Evaluation of PAX3 genetic variants and nevus numberZighereda Ogbah
Melanoma Unit, Department of Dermatology Hospital Clínic de Barcelona, IDIBAPS, Barcelona University, Barcelona, Spain
Pigment Cell Melanoma Res 26:666-76. 2013..This study suggests that SNPs in PAX3 are associated with nevus number, providing support for PAX3 as a candidate nevus gene. Further studies are needed to examine the role of PAX3 in melanoma susceptibility. ..
- Fast evaluation of 69 Basal cell carcinomas with ex vivo fluorescence confocal microscopy: criteria description, histopathological correlation, and interobserver agreementAntoni BennÃ ssar
Melanoma Unit, Department of Dermatology, Hospital ClÃnic and Institut d Investigacions BiomÃ¨diques AgustÃ Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
JAMA Dermatol 149:839-47. 2013....
- Biochemotherapy with temozolomide, cisplatin, vinblastine, subcutaneous interleukin-2 and interferon-alpha in patients with metastatic melanomaMaría González Cao
Medical Oncology Department, Clinic Institute of Hematologic and Oncologic Diseases ICHMO, Clinic Hospital, Barcelona, Spain
Melanoma Res 16:59-64. 2006..2%). It can be concluded that this regimen is well tolerated and has a modest activity despite the poor prognosis of our patient population. The low haematological toxicity rate obtained suggests that higher doses could be tried...
- Dermoscopy improves accuracy of primary care physicians to triage lesions suggestive of skin cancerGiuseppe Argenziano
Department of Dermatology, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
J Clin Oncol 24:1877-82. 2006..The aim of this randomized study was to determine whether the adjunct of dermoscopy to the standard clinical examination improves the accuracy of PCPs to triage lesions suggestive of skin cancer...
- Long-term complete remission of cutaneous melanoma metastases in association with a folk remedyCristina Carrera
J Am Acad Dermatol 52:713-5. 2005