Affiliation: Hospital Universitari Arnau de Vilanova
- Effect of continuous positive airway pressure on the risk of road accidents in sleep apnea patientsFerran Barbe
Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital Universitari Son Dureta, Palma Mallorca, Universitat IIIes Balears, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Respiration 74:44-9. 2007..Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) reduces daytime somnolence in the obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) and may contribute to a reduction in the risk of motor vehicle accidents...
- Long-term effect of continuous positive airway pressure in hypertensive patients with sleep apneaFerran Barbe
Coordinating Center, Institut de Recerca Biomèdica Lleida, Lleida, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 181:718-26. 2010..Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) is the current treatment for patients with symptomatic obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Its use for all subjects with sleep-disordered breathing, regardless of daytime symptoms, is unclear...
- Effect of continuous positive airway pressure on the incidence of hypertension and cardiovascular events in nonsleepy patients with obstructive sleep apnea: a randomized controlled trialFerran Barbe
Coordinator Centre, IRB Lleida, Lleida, Spain
JAMA 307:2161-8. 2012..However, its indication for all patients with sleep-disordered breathing, regardless of daytime symptoms, is unclear...
- Effects of obesity on C-reactive protein level and metabolic disturbances in male patients with obstructive sleep apneaAntonia Barcelo
Servei de Analisis Cliniques, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Am J Med 117:118-21. 2004
- The influence of obesity and obstructive sleep apnea on metabolic hormonesManuel Sánchez-de-la-Torre
Respiratory Diseases Research Unit, Hospital Universitari Arnau de Vilanova, IRB Lleida, Lleida, Spain
Sleep Breath 16:649-56. 2012..The aim of this study was to investigate the independent role of apneas and obesity on plasma levels of metabolic hormones (adiponectin, ghrelin, and leptin) in patients with OSAS...
- Non-synonymous polymorphism in the neuropeptide S precursor gene and sleep apneaManuel Sánchez-de-la-Torre
Respiratory Diseases Research Unit, IRB Lleida, Lleida, Spain
Sleep Breath 15:403-8. 2011..It is important to study neuropeptides related to sympathetic activity regulation and how their function could be modified by genetic variants affecting the expression of these molecules...
- Neuropeptide Y and leptin in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome: role of obesityAntonia Barcelo
Servei de Analisis Cliniques and Pneumologia, Hospital Universitari Son Dureta, Institut Universitari de Ciencies de la Salut, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 171:183-7. 2005..01). We concluded that NPY and leptin plasma levels are increased in patients with OSAS. Yet, whereas the former appear independent of obesity, the latter are mostly associated with obesity...
- Vitamin D status and parathyroid hormone levels in patients with obstructive sleep apneaAntonia Barcelo
Servei d Anàlisis Clíniques, Hospital Universitari Son Espases, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Respiration 86:295-301. 2013....
- Daytime sleepiness and polysomnography in obstructive sleep apnea patientsNuria Roure
Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital Univ Arnau de Vilanova, IRBLLEIDA, Lleida, Catalunya, Spain
Sleep Med 9:727-31. 2008..However, EDS is not universally present in all patients with OSAS. The mechanisms explaining why some patients with OSAS complain of EDS whereas others do not are unknown...
- Rationale and methodology of the impact of continuous positive airway pressure on patients with ACS and nonsleepy OSA: the ISAACC TrialCristina Esquinas
Respiratory Department, Hospital Universitari Arnau de Vilanova Santa Maria, Lleida, Spain Respiratory Medicine Research Group, IRBLLEIDA, Lleida, Spain
Clin Cardiol 36:495-501. 2013..Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is common in acute coronary syndrome (ACS) and a possible cause of increased morbidity and mortality...
- Inflammatory proteins in patients with obstructive sleep apnea with and without daytime sleepinessMónica de la Peña Bravo
Hospital Universitario Son Dureta, Servicio de Neumologia, Palma de Mallorca, Baleares 07014, Spain
Sleep Breath 11:177-85. 2007..e., TNFalpha, IL-6, ICAM-1, 8-iso-PGF2alpha, and P-selectin in the context of sleep-disordered breathing...
- Decreased plasma levels of orexin-A in sleep apneaXavier Busquets
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital Universitari Son Dureta, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Respiration 71:575-9. 2004....
- The relationship between floppy eyelid syndrome and obstructive sleep apnoeaM Jesús Muniesa
Ophthalmology Department, Hospital Universitari Arnau de Vilanova, Lleida, Spain
Br J Ophthalmol 97:1387-90. 2013..To determine the prevalence of eyelid hyperlaxity and floppy eyelid syndrome (FES) in obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA), and the presence of OSA in FES...
- Endothelial function and circulating endothelial progenitor cells in patients with sleep apnea syndromeMónica de la Peña
Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital Universitari Son Dureta, Palma de Mallorca, Espana
Respiration 76:28-32. 2008..Circulating endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs) contribute to repair dysfunctional endothelium and have been related to increased cardiovascular risk...
- Obstructive sleep apnoea and cardiovascular diseaseManuel Sánchez-de-la-Torre
Respiratory Department, Hospital Universitari Arnau de Vilanova Santa Maria, IRB Lleida, Lleida, Catalonia, Spain Centro de Investigación Biomédica En Red de Enfermedades Respiratorias CIBERES, Madrid, Spain
Lancet Respir Med 1:61-72. 2013..Data on older patients is similarly scarce. Currently, there is not enough evidence to support treatment with CPAP for primary or secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. ..