J P Horcajada
- Molecular epidemiology and evolution of resistance to quinolones in Escherichia coli after prolonged administration of ciprofloxacin in patients with prostatitisJuan P Horcajada
Department of Infectious Diseases, Institut Clínic d Infeccions i Immunologia ICII, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 49:55-9. 2002..coli, genetically distinct from the E. coli isolated before and during therapy. Hence, during ciprofloxacin therapy, half of the patients were transiently colonized with new, quinolone-resistant strains of E. coli...
- Evaluation of inflammatory and renal-injury markers in women treated with antibiotics for acute pyelonephritis caused by Escherichia coliJuan P Horcajada
Service of Infectious Diseases, Institut Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia, Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 11:142-6. 2004..In women with acute pyelonephritis, appropriate antibiotic treatment rapidly decreases serum IL-6 levels and urine IL-6 and IL-8 levels, which correlate well with urine albumin and IgG levels...
- Community-acquired febrile urinary tract infection in diabetics could deserve a different management: a case-control studyJ P Horcajada
Infectious Diseases, Institut Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia ICII, Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
J Intern Med 254:280-6. 2003..To investigate if there are relevant differences in clinical, microbiological and outcome characteristics of community-acquired febrile urinary tract infection (UTI) between diabetic and nondiabetic patients...
- Transrectal prostatic ultrasonography in acute bacterial prostatitis: findings and clinical implicationsJuan P Horcajada
Service of Infectious Diseases, Institut Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia ICII, Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Scand J Infect Dis 35:114-20. 2003..TRUS does not need to be performed in every patient with suspicion of ABP; the only indication for TRUS in ABP is the exclusion of prostatic abscess...
- A nosocomial outbreak of influenza during a period without influenza epidemic activityJ P Horcajada
Service of Infectious Diseases, Institut Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia, Hospital Clinic Universitari, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques Augusti Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Respir J 21:303-7. 2003..Epidemiological data suggest transmission from healthcare workers to inpatients. Most healthcare workers were not vaccinated against influenza. Vaccination programmes should be reinforced among healthcare workers...
- Decreased invasive capacity of quinolone-resistant Escherichia coli in patients with urinary tract infectionsM Velasco
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 33:1682-6. 2001..coli is less likely to produce invasive disease (pyelonephritis and prostatitis) than is quinolone-susceptible E. coli. However, once pyelonephritis or prostatitis have developed, there is no difference in the incidence of bacteremia...
- Biofilm formation in uropathogenic Escherichia coli strains: relationship with prostatitis, urovirulence factors and antimicrobial resistanceS M Soto
Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, School of Medicine, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Urol 177:365-8. 2007..We determined the possible relationships between the different urinary tract infections, and in vitro biofilm formation, the presence of urovirulence factors and nalidixic acid resistance...
- Intra- and inter-species spread of carbapenemase genes in a non-hospitalized patientL Sorli
Service of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Hospital Universitari del Mar, Passeig Maritim 25 29, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 30:1551-5. 2011..To date the prevalence of VIM-1 enzymes in the community is low. This molecular finding suggests an intra-species and/or inter-species horizontal spread of the MBL gene in the same non-hospitalized patient...
- The Early Systemic Prophylaxis of Infection After Stroke study: a randomized clinical trialA Chamorro
Stroke Unit, Hospital Clinic, and Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 36:1495-500. 2005..Early infection after stroke is frequent but the clinical value of antibiotic prophylaxis in acute stroke has never been explored...
- Implication of biofilm formation in the persistence of urinary tract infection caused by uropathogenic Escherichia coliS M Soto
Microbiology Department, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:1034-6. 2006..Biofilm assays may be helpful in selecting patients who require a therapeutic approach to eradicate persistent biofilm-forming E. coli strains and prevent subsequent relapses...
- [New antibiotics in primary care]J P Horcajada
Servicio de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Institut Clinic d Infeccions i Immunologia, Hospital Clinic Universitari, Barcelona, Spain
Rev Esp Quimioter 16:118-22. 2003
- Short-term effectiveness of ceftriaxone single dose in the initial treatment of acute uncomplicated pyelonephritis in women. A randomised controlled trialM Sanchez
Emergency Department, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Emerg Med J 19:19-22. 2002..To compare the short-term effectiveness of ceftriaxone single dose followed by cefixime with a standard treatment of acute uncomplicated pyelonephritis in women...
- Novel MASP2 variants detected among North African and Sub-Saharan individualsF Lozano
Servei d Immunologia, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Tissue Antigens 66:131-5. 2005..5%). As reported for MBL2, the marked geographic distribution of the new MASP2 variants may represent an evolutionary adaptation to different environments...
- Implant sonication increases the diagnostic accuracy of infection in patients with delayed, but not early, orthopaedic implant failureL Puig-Verdié
Hospital del Mar Parc de Salut Mar, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Barcelona, Spain
Bone Joint J 95:244-9. 2013..In early failure, SFC is not superior to PITC for the diagnosis of infection and, therefore, is not recommended as a routine diagnostic test in these patients...
- Effectiveness and safety of colistin for the treatment of multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa infectionsM Montero
Dept of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Hospital del Mar, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Infection 37:461-5. 2009..To describe the clinical and microbiological outcomes of patients infected with multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa (MDRP) treated with colistin (colistimethate sodium) and the adverse events observed with this treatment...
- Are quinolone-resistant uropathogenic Escherichia coli less virulent?Jordi Vila
Servei de Microbiologia, Instiutu Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Facultat de Medicina, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Infect Dis 186:1039-42. 2002..05). These results suggest that resistance to quinolones may be associated with a decrease in the presence or the expression of some virulence factors in uropathogenic E. coli...
- Community infections caused by extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coliJesús Rodríguez-Baño
Seccion de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital Universitario Virgen Macarena, Avda Dr Fedriani, 3, 41009 Seville, Spain
Arch Intern Med 168:1897-902. 2008..Data concerning risk factors, clinical features, and therapeutic options for such infections are scarce...
- Quinolone-resistant uropathogenic Escherichia coli strains from phylogenetic group B2 have fewer virulence factors than their susceptible counterpartsJuan P Horcajada
Service of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, Villaroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 43:2962-4. 2005..Hemolysin, cytotoxic necrotizing factor 1, and S and F1C fimbriae genes were less prevalent among nalidixic acid-resistant E. coli strains. Quinolone resistance may be associated with a decrease in the presence of some virulence factors...
- Diagnosis and treatment of latent tuberculosis infection in liver transplant recipients in an endemic areaNatividad Benito
Institut Clínic de Infeccions i Inmunologia, Hospital Clínic IDIBAPS Barcelona, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 74:1381-6. 2002..In addition, the risk of isoniazid hepatotoxicity could be high in liver transplant recipients (LTR). A retrospective cohort study was performed to evaluate the diagnosis and treatment of LTBI in LTR...
- Differences in virulence factors among clinical isolates of Escherichia coli causing cystitis and pyelonephritis in women and prostatitis in menJoaquim Ruiz
Servei de Microbiologia, Institut Clinic Infecciones i Inmunologia, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 40:4445-9. 2002..05). Overall, the results suggest that clinical isolates producing prostatitis are more virulent that those producing pyelonephritis or cystitis in women...
- Acquisition of multidrug-resistant Serratia marcescens by critically ill patients who consumed tap water during receipt of oral medicationJuan P Horcajada
Service of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 27:774-7. 2006..Examination of the outbreak revealed epidemiological evidence that consumption of tap water from a contaminated faucet during receipt of oral medication was the mechanism of S. marcescens acquisition...
- Addition of a macrolide to a beta-lactam-based empirical antibiotic regimen is associated with lower in-hospital mortality for patients with bacteremic pneumococcal pneumoniaJose A Martinez
Institut Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia, Hospital Clinic Universitari, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 36:389-95. 2003..However, only a randomized study can definitively determine whether this association is due to a real effect of macrolides...
- Didanosine, lamivudine, and efavirenz versus zidovudine, lamivudine, and efavirenz for the initial treatment of HIV type 1 infection: final analysis (48 weeks) of a prospective, randomized, noninferiority clinical trial, GESIDA 3903Juan Berenguer
Hospital Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 47:1083-92. 2008..The combination of didanosine, lamivudine, and efavirenz (ddI/3TC/EFV) for the initial treatment of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) infection has been insufficiently analyzed in clinical trials...
- Clinical consequences of infection in patients with acute stroke: is it prime time for further antibiotic trials?Martha Vargas
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Stroke 37:461-5. 2006..We sought to evaluate the predisposing factors and clinical consequences of SAI to gather additional insight on the need of exploring other antibiotics in acute stroke...
- Endogenous ocular candidiasis: changes in epidemiology and factors associated with poor functional outcomeJuan P Horcajada
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla, University of Cantabria, School of Medicine, Santander Cantabria, Spain
Scand J Infect Dis 39:225-30. 2007..Currently, one-third of patients are immunocompromised non-drug users. Therapy with conventional amphotericin B instead of newer antifungal drugs appears to be associated with a poorer functional outcome...