- Dual diagnosis in SpainAntoni Gual
Alcohol Unit, Neurosciences Institute, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Drug Alcohol Rev 26:65-71. 2007..Dual diagnosis patients thus account for one third of the clinical workload of addiction specialists in Spain...
- A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, efficacy study of nalmefene, as-needed use, in patients with alcohol dependenceAntoni Gual
Neurosciences Institute, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain Electronic address
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 23:1432-42. 2013....
- Implementing training and support, financial reimbursement, and referral to an internet-based brief advice program to improve the early identification of hazardous and harmful alcohol consumption in primary care (ODHIN): study protocol for a cluster randoMyrna N Keurhorst
Scientific Institute for Quality of Healthcare IQ Healthcare, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, PO Box 9101, 114 IQ Healthcare, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Implement Sci 8:11. 2013....
- [Long term impact of treatment in alcoholics. Results from a 10-year longitudinal follow-up study of 850 patients]Antonio Gual
Unidad de Alcohología de la Generalitat de Catalunya, Instituto Clínico de Psicología y Psiquiatría, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Espana
Med Clin (Barc) 123:364-9. 2004..Moreover, those studies have not included drinkers from wine drinking cultures. This study was designed to assess prospectively the long term course of alcoholism and the impact of treatment on it, in a sample of Spanish drinkers...
- Treatment for alcohol dependence in Catalonia: health outcomes and stability of drinking patterns over 20 years in 850 patientsAntoni Gual
Alcohol Unit, Psychiatry Department, Clinical Institute of Neurosciences, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Alcohol Alcohol 44:409-15. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate long-term outcomes in alcohol-dependent patients following outpatient treatment and gender differences in drinking outcome and mortality...
- Translational research: a necessary and difficult step forward in the addictions fieldAntoni Gual
Alcohol Unit, Psychiatry Department, ICN, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Addiction 103:1065-6; discussion 1067-8. 2008
- Sertraline for the prevention of relapse in detoxicated alcohol dependent patients with a comorbid depressive disorder: a randomized controlled trialA Gual
Unitat de Alcohologia de la Generalitat de Catalunya, Villaroel, Barcelona and Pfizer SA, Parque Empresarial La Moraleja, Madrid, Spain
Alcohol Alcohol 38:619-25. 2003..The objectives of the study were to evaluate the efficacy of sertraline at achieving stable abstinence, at ameliorating depressive symptoms and at improving quality of life in these patients...
- A new AMPHORA: an introduction to the project Alcohol Measures for Public Health Research AllianceAntoni Gual
Psychiatry Department, Neurosciences Institute, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Addiction 106:1-3. 2011....
- Implementing alcohol disorders treatment throughout the communityAntoni Gual
Alcohol Unit, Hospital Clinic y Provincial de Barcelona, Barcelona University, Barcelona, Spain
Curr Opin Psychiatry 24:203-7. 2011....
- [The ISCA (Systematic Interview of Alcohol Consumption), a new instrument to detect risky drinking]A Gual
Direcció General de Drogodependències i Sida, Departament de Sanitat, Generalitat de Catalunya
Med Clin (Barc) 117:685-9. 2001..The aim of this study was to develop a new systematic tool to register alcohol consumption and to validate its usefulness in order to detect risky drinking in primary health care settings...
- SOCIDROGALCOHOL: the Spanish Scientific Society for the Study of Alcohol, Alcoholism and other Drug DependenciesA Gual
SOCIDROGALCOHOL, Barcelona, Spain
Addiction 96:1253-9. 2001..SOCIDROGALCOHOL.org. In this paper the most relevant historical aspects of SOCIDROGALCOHOL will be summarized, along with its current activities and future perspectives...
- Alcohol in Spain: is it different?Antoni Gual
Unitat d Alcohologia de la Generalitat, Institut de Neurociencies, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Addiction 101:1073-7. 2006
- Who is responsible for irresponsible drinking?Antoni Gual
Alcohol Unit, Institut of Psychiatry and Psychology, Clinic Hospital, Mejia Lequerica s n 08028, Barcelona, Spain
Addiction 99:1376; discussion 1380-1. 2004
- Auditory sensory memory as indicated by mismatch negativity in chronic alcoholismC Grau
Neurodynamics Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychobiology, University of Barcelona, Passeig de la Vall d Hebron 171, 08035, Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Neurophysiol 112:728-31. 2001..The authors' aim was to determine the integrity of auditory sensory memory as indexed by MMN in chronic alcoholism, when this memory has to be functionally active for a longer period of time...
- Acamprosate during and after acute alcohol withdrawal: a double-blind placebo-controlled study in SpainA Gual
Unitat d'Alcohologia de la Generalitat, IMD, , Villarroel 136, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Alcohol Alcohol 36:413-8. 2001..059). The geometric mean of the ratio final/baseline values for serum gamma-glutamyltransferase was 0.496 (placebo) and 0.415 (acamprosate) (P = 0.024) which corroborated the greater abstinence reported by the acamprosate group...
- [Group psychotherapy with young alcoholics: specialization or integration?]M Monras
Unidad de Alcohología, Instituto Clínico de Psiquiatría y Psicología, Hospital Clinico de Barcelona
Actas Esp Psiquiatr 34:28-35. 2006..Nevertheless, few data are available on the inclusion criteria for specific individual, as well as on specific group, techniques for the management of some types or groups of patients with homogeneous characteristics...
- [Efficacy of group therapy of alcoholics. Results of a controlled clinical trial]M Monras
Unidad de Alcohología de la Generalitat de Catalunya, Hospital Clinico de Barcelona
Med Clin (Barc) 115:126-31. 2000..Group therapy is widely used in psychiatry and psychology, specially in the treatment of alcoholism. Nevertheless, scientific evidence of its efficacy is scarce, and professionals tend very often to doubt about its usefulness...
- Children of alcoholics in Spain: from risk to pathology. Results from the ALFIL programRosa Diaz
Dept of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychology, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel, 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 43:1-10. 2008..To identify the possible risk factors and negative outcomes associated with parental alcoholism. A secondary aim was to determine the influence of the family density of alcoholism on children of alcoholics' (COAs) psychological functioning...
- Is alcohol foodstuff?Antoni Gual
Addiction 102:1190-1; discussion 1192-3. 2007
- Clinical and research utility of Spanish Teen-Addiction Severity Index (T-ASI)Rosa Diaz
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychology, Institute of Neurosciences, Hospital Clinic Universitari, Barcelona, Spain
Addict Behav 33:188-95. 2008..To conclude, Spanish version of the T-ASI shows adequate psychometric properties to be used as a clinical and research instrument in Spanish-speaking adolescents with psychiatric disorders...
- Prevalence and factors related to substance use among adolescents with eating disordersJosefina Castro-Fornieles
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychology, Institute Clinic of Neurosciences, Hospital Clinic Universitari, Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Salud Mental, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Addict Res 16:61-8. 2010..Very few studies have assessed substance use in clinical samples of adolescents with eating disorders (ED). This paper reports the prevalence of regular or risky substance use (RRSU) and substance use disorder (SUD) in adolescents with ED...
- Brief intervention in substance-use among adolescent psychiatric patients: a randomized controlled trialJavier Goti
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychology, Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Salut Mental, Hospital Clinic Barcelona, Spain
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 19:503-11. 2010..Our results point to the need of more intensive interventions...
- [Alcoholism and immigration. Adherence of immigrant patients to group therapy]Miquel Monras
Unidad de Alcohología, Institut Clínic de Neurociències, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Med Clin (Barc) 126:250-2. 2006..Increasing numbers of foreigners are accessing alcohol treatment facilities, but efficacy of TG in those patients has not been studied. This work focuses on the influence of ethnicity and language in the compliance of GT...
- Audit-3 and audit-4: effectiveness of two short forms of the alcohol use disorders identification testAntoni Gual
Health and Social Security Department, Program on Substance Abuse, Autonomous Government of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain
Alcohol Alcohol 37:591-6. 2002....
- [Alcoholism in the general hospital: detection and treatment]Miquel Monras
Unidad de Alcohología, Instituto de Psiquiatría y Psicología, Hospital Clinico, Barcelona, Espana
Med Clin (Barc) 121:733-5. 2003..Alcohol is an important factor in hospital admissions. Few publications have studied how alcoholics are handled in hospitals...
- [Alcoholism in the general hospital: 4 years mortality and hospitalization]Miquel Monras
Unidad de Alcohología, Instituto de Neurociencias, Hospital Clinico, Barcelona, Spain
Med Clin (Barc) 125:441-7. 2005..We aimed to analyze the mortality, and emergency room and hospital admissions in a sample of alcohol dependent patients during the four years following their identification in a general hospital...
- [Two year follow-up of inpatients with alcohol-related diseases]Miquel Monras
Unidad de Alcohología, Institut Clínic de Psiquiatria i Psicologia, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Med Clin (Barc) 123:521-6. 2004..Our objective was to study the outcome and compliance of both medical and alcoholism treatment in alcoholics discharged from a general hospital...
- Why has alcohol consumption declined in countries of southern Europe?A Gual
Alcohol Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Addiction 92:S21-31. 1997....
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of naltrexone in the treatment of alcohol-dependence disorder: results from a multicenter clinical trialJosé Guardia
Department of Psychiatry, Addictive Behavior Unit, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 26:1381-7. 2002....
- Mismatch negativity impairment associated with alcohol consumption in chronic alcoholics: a scalp current density studyJ Marco-Pallares
Neurodynamics Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychobiology, University of Barcelona, Passeig de la Vall d Hebron 171, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Int J Psychophysiol 65:51-7. 2007..The present results suggest a reorganization of the computational neurodynamics of automatic auditory change detection linked to the amount of alcohol consumed in abstinent chronic alcoholics...
- Prevalence and mechanisms of hyperhomocysteinemia in chronic alcoholicsCarmen Blasco
Liver Unit, Institut de Malalties Digestives i Metaboliques, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29:1044-8. 2005..The aim of the study was to investigate the prevalence of hyperhomocysteinemia in chronic alcoholics and the influence of alcohol consumption, vitamin deficiencies and liver damage on the plasma levels of Hcy...
- Simultaneous versus delayed treatment of tobacco dependence in alcohol-dependent outpatientsG Nieva
Unitat d Alcohologia, Hospital Clinic, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Addict Res 17:1-9. 2011..There is a high prevalence of smoking among heavy drinkers, which is often forgotten even though it has important health consequences...
- Impaired theta phase-resetting underlying auditory N1 suppression in chronic alcoholismLluis Fuentemilla
Neurodynamics Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychobiology, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Neuroreport 20:337-42. 2009..The present findings suggest that chronic alcoholism alters neural oscillatory synchrony dynamics at very early stages of information processing...
- [Impact of a training in brief intervention. Differences in the hospital approach of tobacco and alcohol consumption]Montse Ballbè
Unidad de Alcohología, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Barcelona
Adicciones 21:113-8. 2009....
- [Evaluation of brief intervention for smoking cessation in hospitalized patients]Gemma Nieva
Unidad de Alcohología, Corporación Sanitaria Clínic, Barcelona, Institut Catala d Oncologia, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Espana
Med Clin (Barc) 128:730-2. 2007..Secondly, to assess prevalence rates for smoking among patients of a general hospital in Barcelona/Spain...
- Electrophysiological evidence of abnormal activation of the cerebral network of involuntary attention in alcoholismMaria Dolores Polo
Neurodynamics Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychobiology, University of Barcelona, P Vall d Hebron 171, 08035, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Neurophysiol 114:134-46. 2003..Here, a task designed to investigate with event-related brain potentials (ERPs) the neural mechanism underlying distraction was used to show abnormal involuntary orienting of attention in chronic alcoholism...
- [Early detection of risk drinker]Antoni Gual
Med Clin (Barc) 125:734-5. 2005
- Some screening is necessary to identify excessive drinkers early in primary careNick Heather
BMJ 326:550. 2003
- A multicountry controlled trial of strategies to promote dissemination and implementation of brief alcohol intervention in primary health care: findings of a World Health Organization collaborative studyMichelle Funk
Department of Mental Health and SubstanceAbuse, WHO, 20OAvenueAppia, CH 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
J Stud Alcohol 66:379-88. 2005..The study also examines the impact of training and support strategies to promote the program's implementation in routine primary care...
- Attitudes and managing alcohol problems in general practice: an interaction analysis based on findings from a WHO collaborative studyPeter Anderson
Centre for Quality of Care Research, University Medical Centre Nijmegen, 229 WOK, PO Box 9101, 6500 HB, The Netherlands
Alcohol Alcohol 39:351-6. 2004..To determine if GPs' attitudes towards working with drinkers moderated the impact that training and support had on screening and brief intervention activity in routine practice...