- Phylogenetic analyses reveal unexpected patterns in the evolution of reproductive modes in frogsIvan Gomez-Mestre
Estacion Biologica de Donana, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Avda Americo Vespucio s n, Sevilla 41092, Spain
Evolution 66:3687-700. 2012..These associations may help explain the widespread retention of aquatic eggs and larvae, and the overall diversity of anuran reproductive modes...
- Genetic variation in pathogen-induced early hatching of toad embryosI Gomez-Mestre
Department of Biology, Boston University, Boston, MA 02 215, USA
J Evol Biol 21:791-800. 2008..Later hatching has a second, muscular component. This pattern of variation may characterize defences based on developmental transitions, although other inducible defences show more variation in induced phenotypes...
- The shape of things to come: linking developmental plasticity to post-metamorphic morphology in anuransI Gomez-Mestre
Department of Biology, Boston University, Boston, MA, USA
J Evol Biol 23:1364-73. 2010..Our results provide a basis for understanding the relationship between growth, differentiation and post-metamorphic shape in anurans and help explain many of the discrepancies reported in previous studies...
- Invasive predatory crayfish do not trigger inducible defences in tadpolesIvan Gomez-Mestre
Research Unit of Biodiversity CSIC, UO, PA, C Catedrático Rodrigo Uría s n, Oviedo 33071, Spain
Proc Biol Sci 278:3364-70. 2011....
- Risk-induced hatching timing shows low heritability and evolves independently of spontaneous hatching in red-eyed treefrogsI Gomez-Mestre
Department of Biology, Boston University, Boston, MA, USA Department of Wetland Ecology, Estacion Biologica de Donana, CSIC, Sevilla, Spain
J Evol Biol 26:1079-89. 2013..Cross-environment genetic correlation in hatching timing was negligible, so the evolution of spontaneous hatching in this species has not depended on the evolution of risk-induced hatching and vice versa...
- Developmental alterations and osmoregulatory physiology of a larval anuran under osmotic stressI Gomez-Mestre
Departamento de Biologia Evolutiva, Estacion Biologica de Donana, CSIC, Avda Maria Luisa s n, Pabellón de Perú, 41013 Sevilla, Spain
Physiol Biochem Zool 77:267-74. 2004..Preliminary immunoassays of thyroid hormone content suggest a possible decrease in hormone levels induced in water salinity conditions that correlate with a decreased developmental rate...
- Adaptation or exaptation? An experimental test of hypotheses on the origin of salinity tolerance in Bufo calamitaI Gomez-Mestre
Departamento de Biologia Evolutiva, Estacion Biologica de Donana CSIC, Sevilla, Spain
J Evol Biol 18:847-55. 2005..No significant population x treatment interaction was found for any variable, i.e. populations were equally affected by drought. These results do not support the hypothesis of a genetic association between salinity and drought tolerance...