- Uremic tumoral calcinosis of the foot mimicking infectionSebastian Garcia
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Foot Ankle Int 23:260-3. 2002..These cases are unusual in their rapid onset, mimicking acute infection. Differential diagnosis, radiological features and therapy are discussed...
- Total hip arthroplasty in hemodialysis and renal transplant patientsS Garcia-Ramiro
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Hip Int 18:51-7. 2008..Prosthetic hip surgery in patients receiving renal replacement therapy is associated with high morbidity and mortality, thus highlighting the importance of careful patient selection...
- [Usefulness of adding antibiotic to cement in one stage exchange of chronic infection in total hip arthroplasty]Sebastian Garcia
Servicio de Cirugia Ortopedica y Traumatologia, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, IDIBAPS, Villariel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Med Clin (Barc) 125:138-9. 2005..Nevertheless, a local antibiotic use is not always possible. We present our experience with direct exchange with and without antibiotic-impregnated cement...
- Long-term results of acute prosthetic joint infection treated with debridement and prosthesis retention: a case-control studyLluís Font-Vizcarra
Bone and Joint Infection Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Artif Organs 35:908-12. 2012..To evaluate the long-term outcome (at least 4 years) of patients who underwent a surgical debridement due to an acute prosthetic joint infection (PJI) and to compare them with a control group that did not have an acute septic complication...
- Neutrophils in frozen section and type of microorganism isolated at the time of resection arthroplasty for the treatment of infectionGuillem Bori
Department of Orthopaedic and Traumatology, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, C Villarroel, 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 129:591-5. 2009..However, the specificity and sensitivity of histology has never been 100%. In the present study we hypothesized that the type of microorganism could be related to the effectiveness of histology in the detection of infection...
- Interface membrane is the best sample for histological study to diagnose prosthetic joint infectionGuillem Bori
Department of Orthopaedic and Traumatology, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Mod Pathol 24:579-84. 2011..04, Fisher's exact test). The results suggest that periprosthetic interface membrane is the best specimen for the histological diagnosis of prosthetic joint infection...
- Relationship between the degree of osteolysis and cultures obtained by sonication of the prostheses in patients with aseptic loosening of a hip or knee arthroplastyJosep M Sierra
Department of Microbiology, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 131:1357-61. 2011..The aim of our study was to sonicate components of joint prostheses removed due to aseptic loosening, culture the sonicate fluid, and to correlate these results with the degree of radiological osteolysis...
- Usefulness of histological analysis for predicting the presence of microorganisms at the time of reimplantation after hip resection arthroplasty for the treatment of infectionGuillem Bori
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, C Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:1232-7. 2007..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the usefulness of histological analysis in this situation...
- Low sensitivity of histology to predict the presence of microorganisms in suspected aseptic loosening of a joint prosthesisGuillem Bori
Department of Orthopaedic and Traumatology, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Mod Pathol 19:874-7. 2006..In conclusion, intraoperative histology using Mirra's criteria had a low sensitivity to predict the presence of microorganisms in samples from suspected aseptic prosthetic loosening...
- Accuracy of CT-guided joint aspiration in patients with suspected infection status post-total hip arthroplastyXavier Tomas
Department of Radiology, Hospital Clinic, Universidad de Barcelona, Villarroel 170, Barcelona, 08036, Spain
Skeletal Radiol 40:57-64. 2011..To determine the accuracy of guided computed tomography aspiration in the detection of septic hip prosthesis before surgery...
- Alignment guided by computer navigation of the femoral component in hip resurfacingXavier Gallart
Hip Unit, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Hip Int 20:S43-7. 2010....
- Radiological evaluation of acetabular erosion after antibiotic-impregnated polymethylmethacrylate spacer (Spacer-G)Ester García-Oltra
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
J Arthroplasty 28:1021-4. 2013..Using a Spacer-G in chronic hip infection treatment for less than one year is not associated with radiological acetabular erosion if the patient is maintained at partial weight bearing...
- A superficial swab culture is useful for microbiologic diagnosis in acute prosthetic joint infectionsJordi Cuñé
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, C Villarroel 170, 08036, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Clin Orthop Relat Res 467:531-5. 2009..aureus or gram-negative bacilli were identified. Level of Evidence: Level II, diagnostic study. See the Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence...
- [Surgical treatment for vascular necrosis of femoral head after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation]Daniel Poggio
Servicio de Cirugia Ortopedica y Traumatologia, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Barcelona, Espana
Med Clin (Barc) 127:738-40. 2006..Advances in the treatment for haematological malignancies have improved survival after HSCT. The aim of this study was to report the short and medium-term results of total hip arthroplasty for the treatment of AVN...
- Comparative study of the effects of pyridoxine, rifampin, and renal function on hematological adverse events induced by linezolidAlex Soriano
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, C Villarroel 170, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2559-63. 2007..37; 95% confidence interval, 0.14 to 0.98; P = 0.045). In conclusion, pyridoxine did not prevent linezolid-related hematological adverse events, and the coadministration of rifampin was associated with a lower risk of thrombocytopenia...
- [Treatment of acute infection of total or partial hip arthroplasty with debridement and oral chemotherapy]Alex Soriano
Instituto Clínico de Enfermedades Infecciosas e Inmunología Hospital Clínic Universitari IDIBAPS Barcelona Spain
Med Clin (Barc) 121:81-5. 2003..The suitable antibiotic(s) and duration of treatment for hip prosthesis acute infections (HPAIs) has not been clearly defined...
- Usefulness of histology for predicting infection at the time of hip revision for the treatment of vancouver b2 periprosthetic fracturesErnesto Muñoz-Mahamud
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain Bone and Joint Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Arthroplasty 28:1247-50. 2013..Our results suggest that periprosthetic fractures are a cause of false-positive histology results for the diagnosis of infection during revision of a hip prosthesis for the treatment of Vancouver B2 periprosthetic fractures. ..
- Relationship between haematoma in femoral neck fractures contamination and early postoperative prosthetic joint infectionLluís Font-Vizcarra
Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery of Hospital Clínic of Barcelona, University of Barcelona, C Villarroel 170, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Injury 42:200-3. 2011..The aim of our study was to evaluate the prevalence of positive cultures from haematoma in patients with femoral neck fracture and the relationship with early PJI...
- Usefulness of 99mTc-ciprofloxacin scintigraphy in the diagnosis of prosthetic joint infectionsDavid Fuster
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Hospital Clinic, UAB, Barcelona, Spain
Nucl Med Commun 32:44-51. 2011..To evaluate the usefulness of 99Tc-ciprofloxacin scintigraphy (CFS) in patients with hip or knee arthroplasty and suspected infection...
- Fracture of ceramic liner and head in a total hip arthroplasty with a sandwich type cupDiego Reátegui
Orthopaedic Department, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Stair 12, 4th Floor, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Case Rep Orthop 2013:291691. 2013..We decided to change the bearing surfaces to metal polyethylene without removing the metal back. The patient is satisfied by the clinical results after a 5-year followup...
- Pasteurella multocida septic shock after a cat scratch in an elderly otherwise healthy woman: a case reportJenaro A Fernandez-Valencia
Orthopaedic Trauma Unit, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, E 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Am J Emerg Med 26:380.e1-3. 2008..The present case illustrates a severe articular infection caused by this bacterium, leading to septic shock, in an elderly, otherwise healthy woman, after a simple scratch of a cat...