- Cajal's contributions to glia researchVirginia García-Marín
Museum Ramón y Cajal, Instituto Cajal, CSIC Avda Doctor Arce 37, Madrid 28002, Spain
Trends Neurosci 30:479-87. 2007..We aim to show that, concerning glia as well as neurons, Cajal was far ahead of his time...
- The histological slides and drawings of cajalPablo García-López
Instituto Cajal, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas Madrid, Spain
Front Neuroanat 4:9. 2010..This is the first time anyone has compiled an account of Cajal's enormous scientific production, offering some curious insights into his work and his legacy...
- Cajal's contributions to the study of Alzheimer's diseaseVirginia García-Marín
Museum Ramón y Cajal, Instituto Cajal, CSIC, Avda Doctor Arce, 37 Madrid 28002, Spain
J Alzheimers Dis 12:161-74. 2007..This paper deals with Cajal's contribution to the study of Alzheimer's disease and it is fully illustrated by original pictures of Cajal's slides preserved in the Cajal Museum, Madrid...
- The growth cone as seen through Cajal's original histological preparations and publicationsVirginia García-Marín
Museum Cajal, Instituto Cajal, CSIC, Madrid, Spain
J Hist Neurosci 18:197-210. 2009..Finally, Cajal's view of the function of the growth cone and his chemotactic hypothesis will also be considered in the light of present-day knowledge...
- Differential distribution of neurons in the gyral white matter of the human cerebral cortexV Garcia-Marin
Laboratorio de Circuitos Corticales, Centro de Tecnología Biomédica, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Comp Neurol 518:4740-59. 2010..By contrast, both symmetric and asymmetric axodendritic synapses were observed in the neuropil. We discuss the possible functional implications of these findings in terms of cortical circuits...
- The discovery of dendritic spines by Cajal in 1888 and its relevance in the present neurosciencePablo García-López
Museo Cajal, Instituto Cajal, CSIC, Avda Doctor Arce 37, 28002 Madrid, Spain
Prog Neurobiol 83:110-30. 2007..We will analyse their contributions from the historical and present point of view. In addition, we will show high quality images of Cajal's original preparations and drawings related with this discovery...