Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares
- Mesenchymal and haematopoietic stem cells form a unique bone marrow nicheSimon Mendez-Ferrer
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Nature 466:829-34. 2010..These results uncover an unprecedented partnership between two distinct somatic stem-cell types and are indicative of a unique niche in the bone marrow made of heterotypic stem-cell pairs...
- Bone marrow CD169+ macrophages promote the retention of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells in the mesenchymal stem cell nicheAndrew Chow
Department of Gene and Cell Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Exp Med 208:261-71. 2011..Thus, strategies that target BM MΦ hold the potential to augment stem cell yields in patients that mobilize HSCs/progenitors poorly...
- Haematopoietic stem cell release is regulated by circadian oscillationsSimon Mendez-Ferrer
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Department of Medicine and Department of Gene and Cell Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Nature 452:442-7. 2008..These data indicate that a circadian, neurally driven release of HSC during the animal's resting period may promote the regeneration of the stem cell niche and possibly other tissues...
- Norepinephrine reuptake inhibition promotes mobilization in mice: potential impact to rescue low stem cell yieldsDaniel Lucas
Ruth L and David S Gottesman Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY 10461, USA
Blood 119:3962-5. 2012..Therefore, these data suggest that blockade of NE reuptake may be a novel therapeutic target to increase stem cell yield in patients...
- Cooperation of beta(2)- and beta(3)-adrenergic receptors in hematopoietic progenitor cell mobilizationSimon Mendez-Ferrer
Medicine, Tisch Cancer Institute, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1192:139-44. 2010..Double deficiency in beta(2)- and beta(3)-ARs compromises enforced mobilization. Therefore, beta(2)- and beta(3)-ARs have specific roles in stromal cells and cooperate during progenitor mobilization...
- Circadian rhythms influence hematopoietic stem cellsSimon Mendez-Ferrer
Department of Medicine, USA bDepartment of Gene and Cell Medicine, USA
Curr Opin Hematol 16:235-42. 2009..There is increasing evidence showing the impact of biological rhythms on the traffic of hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and their proliferation and differentiation capacities...
- Bone marrow mesenchymal stem and progenitor cells induce monocyte emigration in response to circulating toll-like receptor ligandsChao Shi
Immunology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, Infectious Diseases Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10065, USA
Immunity 34:590-601. 2011..Our findings suggest that bone marrow MSCs and CAR cells respond to circulating microbial molecules and regulate bloodstream monocyte frequencies by secreting MCP1 in proximity to bone marrow vascular sinuses...
- Resident progenitors and bone marrow stem cells in myocardial renewal and repairSimon Mendez-Ferrer
Cardiovascular Institute and Center for Cardiovascular Health, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 3:S83-9. 2006..Here, we briefly review the use of bone-marrow-derived and cardiac-derived stem/progenitor cells in myocardial regeneration studies and discuss their significance for the future of the field of myocardial regeneration...
- Galpha(s) uncouples hematopoietic stem cell homing and mobilizationSimon Mendez-Ferrer
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Cell Stem Cell 4:379-80. 2009..In a recent publication in Nature, Adams et al. (2009) demonstrate that the guanine-nucleotide-binding stimulatory alpha subunit (Galpha(s)) can, unexpectedly, promote both phenomena...