Genomes and Genes
- Contribution of polymorphisms in the apolipoprotein AI-CIII-AIV cluster to hyperlipidaemia in patients with goutF Cardona
Servicio de Endocrinologia y Nutricion, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario Carlos Haya, Malaga, Spain
Ann Rheum Dis 64:85-8. 2005..Studies have shown that hyperuricaemia is independently related to the insulin resistance syndrome and that polymorphisms of the apolipoprotein AI-CIII-AIV cluster are also related to insulin resistance...
- Pro12Ala sequence variant of the PPARG gene is associated with postprandial hypertriglyceridemia in non-E3/E3 patients with the metabolic syndromeFernando Cardona
Servicio de Endocrinología y Nutrición Hospital Clínico Virgen de la Victoria de Málaga, Malaga, Spain
Clin Chem 52:1920-5. 2006..Variations in these genes may affect postprandial hypertriglyceridemia in the context of the metabolic syndrome...
- Continuous positive airway pressure therapy reduces oxidative stress markers and blood pressure in sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome patientsMora Murri
Laboratorio de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Fundacion IMABIS, Hospital Clinico Universitario Virgen de la Victoria, 29010, Malaga, Spain
Biol Trace Elem Res 143:1289-301. 2011..Consequently, we believe that the decrease in oxidative stress after 1 month of CPAP treatment in these patients is not contributing much to IR genesis, though it could be related to the hypertension etiology...
- Effect of the interaction between the fatty acid binding protein 2 gene Ala54Thr polymorphism and dietary fatty acids on peripheral insulin sensitivity: a cross-sectional studySonsoles Morcillo
Servicio de Endocrinologia y Nutricion, Hospital Universitario Carlos Haya Red de Diabetes y Metabolismo of the Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Malaga, Spain
Am J Clin Nutr 86:1232-7. 2007..The intestinal fatty acid-binding protein (FABP2) is involved in the intracellular transport and metabolism of fatty acids and may affect insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism...
- Pro12Ala polymorphism of the PPARG2 gene is associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus and peripheral insulin sensitivity in a population with a high intake of oleic acidFederico Soriguer
Servicio de Endocrinologia y Nutricion, Hospital Universitario Carlos Haya Fundación IMABIS, Malaga, Spain
J Nutr 136:2325-30. 2006..005). The results suggest the existence of an interaction between Pro12Ala polymorphism of PPARG2 and dietary MUFA, such that obese people with the Ala-12 allele have higher HOMA IR values, especially if their intake of MUFA is low...
- The -1131T>C SNP of the APOA5 gene modulates response to fenofibrate treatment in patients with the metabolic syndrome: a postprandial studyFernando Cardona
Servicio de Endocrinologia y Nutricion, Hospital Virgen de la Victoria, Malaga, Malaga, Spain
Atherosclerosis 206:148-52. 2009..We hypothesised that variability in the promoter of the APOA5 gene may affect the individual response to fibrate therapy, in both the fasting and postprandial states...
- Effect of CPAP on oxidative stress and circulating progenitor cell levels in sleep patients with apnea-hypopnea syndromeMora Murri
Servicio de Hematologia, Hospital Clinico Universitario Virgen de la Victoria, Malaga, Spain
Respir Care 56:1830-6. 2011..The sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome is associated with elevated oxidative stress, which is associated with reduced levels and functional impairment of progenitor cells...
- Response to a urate-lowering diet according to polymorphisms in the apolipoprotein AI-CIII-AIV clusterFernando Cardona
Endocrinology and Nutrition Service, Hospital Civil, Carlos Haya University Hospital, Malaga, Spain
J Rheumatol 32:903-5. 2005..We assessed the influence of polymorphisms in the apolipoprotein AI-CIII-AIV cluster on the response to a urate-lowering diet in patients with hyperuricemia...
- Circulating antioxidant defences are decreased in healthy people after a high-fat mealFernando Cardona
Servicio de Endocrinologia y Nutricion, Hospital Clinico Universitario Virgen de la Victoria, Malaga 29009, Spain
Br J Nutr 100:312-6. 2008..We conclude that uric acid is a powerful antioxidant and its reduction following a high-fat meal may be related with its acute antioxidative action...
- Oxidative stress and metabolic changes after continuous positive airway pressure treatment according to previous metabolic disorders in sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome patientsMora Murri
Servicio de Endocrinologia y Nutricion, Hospital Clinico Universitario Virgen de la Victoria, Malaga, Spain
Transl Res 154:111-21. 2009..Moreover, the blood pressure decreased after CPAP treatment, particularly in the obese, nondyslipidemic, and hypertensive patients. No significant change in IR was found in any of the SAHS patients after CPAP treatment...
- Effect of the combination of the variants -75G/A APOA1 and Trp64Arg ADRB3 on the risk of type 2 diabetes (DM2)Sonsoles Morcillo
Endocrinology and Nutrition Service, Hospital Carlos Haya, Málaga REDIMET Red de Centros de Metabolismo y Nutrición of Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Spain
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 68:102-7. 2008..We searched for a possible interaction between two polymorphisms (Trp64Arg of ADRB3 gene and -75G/A of APOA1gene) and the risk for DM2 in a population from southern Spain...
- [Physical activity and cardiovascular and metabolic risk factors in general population]Federico Soriguer
Servicio de Endocrinología y Nutrición Hospital Civil Hospital Universitario Carlos Haya Málaga España
Med Clin (Barc) 121:565-9. 2003..Our purpose was to evaluate in a cross-section, populational study the association between daily physical activity and various metabolic and cardiovascular disease risk factors...
- FABP4 Dynamics in Obesity: Discrepancies in Adipose Tissue and Liver Expression Regarding Circulating Plasma LevelsMaría Isabel Queipo-Ortuño
Laboratorio de Investigaciones Biomédicas del Hospital Virgen de la Victoria Fundación IMABIS, Malaga, Spain CIBER de Fisiopatología de la Obesidad y Nutrición CIBERobn, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e48605. 2012..FABP4 is predominantly expressed in adipose tissue, and its circulating levels are linked with obesity and a poor atherogenic profile...
- Influence of age and sex on levels of anti-oxidized LDL antibodies and anti-LDL immune complexes in the general populationFrancisco J Tinahones
Servicio de Endocrinologia y Nutricion, Carlos Haya Regional University Hospital, Malaga, Spain
J Lipid Res 46:452-7. 2005..The higher prevalence of anti-oxidized LDL (MDA-LDL) antibodies in females and young persons is in agreement with studies that found an inverse association between atherosclerosis and the level of these antibodies...
- PPARgamma mRNA expression is reduced in peripheral blood mononuclear cells after fat overload in patients with metabolic syndromeManuel Macias-Gonzalez
CIBER Fisiopatologia de la Obesidad y Nutricion, CB06 03, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid 28029, Spain
J Nutr 138:903-7. 2008..These data provide evidence that the Ala12 sequence variant is associated with a worse metabolic profile than Pro12. This is related to differences in the expression of PPARgamma and to oxidative imbalance after fat overload...
- Redistribution of abdominal fat after a period of food restriction in rats is related to the type of dietary fatFederico Soriguer
Endocrinology and Nutrition Service, Clinical and Experimental Investigation Unit, Civil Hospital, Carlos Haya Hospital Complex, Pza del Hospital Civil s n, 29009 Malaga, Spain
Br J Nutr 89:115-22. 2003..The lipid content in adipose and muscle tissues and the distribution of intra-abdominal fat can all be modified by the type of dietary fat...