- Bortezomib: a valuable new antineoplastic strategy in multiple myelomaJoan Blade
Hematology Department, Institute of Hematology and Oncology, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, 08036, Barcelona, Spain
Acta Oncol 44:440-8. 2005..Ideally, the introduction of bortezomib will result in a significant improvement in the future management of multiple myeloma...
- Advances in therapy of multiple myelomaJoan Blade
Hematology and Oncology Institute, Hematology Department, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Curr Opin Oncol 20:697-704. 2008..To summarize the results of treatment of multiple myeloma in the era of novel agents...
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for multiple myeloma beyond 2010Joan Blade
Department of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, Institut of Hematology and Oncology, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Blood 115:3655-63. 2010..The development of novel reduced-intensity preparative regimens and peri- and posttransplantation strategies aimed at minimizing graft-versus-host disease, and enhancing the graft-versus-myeloma effect are key issues...
- Complications of multiple myelomaJoan Blade
Institute of Hematology and Oncology, Postgraduate School of Hematology Farreras Valenti, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 21:1231-46, xi. 2007..This article reviews these various complications connected to multiple myeloma, examining their various causes and possible treatment...
- Smoldering multiple myeloma and monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significanceJoan Blade
Hematology Department, Institute of Hematology and Oncology, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Curr Treat Options Oncol 7:237-45. 2006..It is recommended that patients with MGUS are monitored annually. Importantly, patients with asymptomatic monoclonal gammopathies must not be treated before the development of overt multiple myeloma...
- Clinical practice. Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significanceJoan Blade
Hematology Department, Institut Clinic de Malaties Hematologiques i Oncologiques, Hospital Clinic, Postgraduate School of Hematology Farreras Valenti, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
N Engl J Med 355:2765-70. 2006
- Autologous transplantation in multiple myelomaJoan Blade
Hematology Department, Institut of Hematology and Oncology, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Spain
Haematologica 91:1157. 2006
- Thalidomide and dexamethasone in patients with multiple myeloma not undergoing upfront autologous stem cell transplantationJoan Blade
Hematology Unit, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Haematologica 90:1589. 2005
- Renal, hematologic and infectious complications in multiple myelomaJoan Blade
Hematology Department, Institute of Hematology and Oncology, Postgraduate School of Hematology Farreras Valenti, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 18:635-52. 2005..The highest risk of infection is within the first 2 months of initiation of therapy as well as in patients with renal failure and in those with relapsed and refractory disease...
- Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin plus bortezomib in relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma: efficacy and safety in patients with renal function impairmentJoan Blade
Hematology Department, Universitat de Barcelona Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS Villaroel 170, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Lymphoma Myeloma 8:352-5. 2008..However, patients with impaired renal function were at a slightly increased risk of a drug-related serious adverse event (28% vs. 19% for CrCl < 60 and > or = 60 mL/min, respectively)...
- Interleukin 6 and tumour necrosis factor alpha serum levels in monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significanceJoan Blade
Institute of Hematology and Oncology, Farreras Valentí Postgraduate School of Hematology, University of Barcelona, Villaroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Br J Haematol 117:387-9. 2002..The actuarial probability of malignant transformation in patients with increased IL-6 and TNF-alpha was not significantly higher than in those with normal values...
- Thalidomide in multiple myeloma: lack of response of soft-tissue plasmacytomasJ Blade
Institute of Haematology and Oncology, Department of Haematology, Postgraduate School of Haematology Farreras Valenti, Barcelona, Spain
Br J Haematol 113:422-4. 2001..This data suggests that the mechanism of action and effectiveness of thalidomide might depend on the site of the tumour cells...
- Soft-tissue plasmacytomas in multiple myeloma: incidence, mechanisms of extramedullary spread, and treatment approachJoan Blade
Servei d Hematologia, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Oncol 29:3805-12. 2011..Experimental studies on the mechanisms of myeloma cell adhesion, myeloma growth at extramedullary sites, and drug sensitivity are priorities for this area of continuing therapeutic challenge...
- Efficacy and safety of pegylated liposomal Doxorubicin in combination with bortezomib for multiple myeloma: effects of adverse prognostic factors on outcomeJoan Blade
Hematology Department, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 11:44-9. 2011..To identify patients who might most benefit from this new standard of care, we performed retrospective analyses evaluating the effects of clinically defined, high-risk features on the outcomes with this regimen...
- High-dose therapy intensification compared with continued standard chemotherapy in multiple myeloma patients responding to the initial chemotherapy: long-term results from a prospective randomized trial from the Spanish cooperative group PETHEMAJoan Blade
Hematology Department, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Blood 106:3755-9. 2005..9 vs 16.4 months). In conclusion, these results show that HDT intensification, when given to myeloma patients who have responded to the initial chemotherapy, significantly increases the CR rate but has no significant impact on PFS or OS...
- Multiple myelomaJ Blade
Hematology Department, Hematology and Oncology Institute, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Oncol 21:vii313-9. 2010..A sequential approach is preferred over combination of multiple agents. Supportive measures include the use of bisphosphonates and erythropoietin according to the updated guidelines...
- Smoldering (asymptomatic) multiple myeloma: current diagnostic criteria, new predictors of outcome, and follow-up recommendationsJoan Blade
Hematology Department, Institute of Hematology and Oncology, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Oncol 28:690-7. 2010..To provide an overview on smoldering (asymptomatic) multiple myeloma (SMM) including current diagnostic criteria, predictors of progression, pattern of progression, and outcome...
- Increased conventional chemotherapy does not improve survival in multiple myeloma: long-term results of two PETHEMA trials including 914 patientsJ Blade
Spanish Cooperative Group for Hematological Malignancies Treatment PETHEMA, Spanish Society of Hematology Institut de Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer Hospital Clínico Barcelona Spain
Hematol J 2:272-8. 2001..We present the long-term outcome of 914 patients from two randomized trials comparing three different dose intensity regimens...
- Smoldering multiple myeloma: natural history and recognition of an evolving typeL Rosinol
Hematology Department, Institut Clinic de Malalties Hemato Oncologiques, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Br J Haematol 123:631-6. 2003..Fifty-seven per cent of patients that required chemotherapy showed no or minimal response. The median survival from diagnosis and from progression was 8.2 and 3.5 years respectively...
- Treatment approaches for relapsing and refractory multiple myelomaJ Blade
Institute of Hematology Oncology, Department of Hematology, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Acta Oncol 39:843-7. 2000..In heavily pretreated resistant patients a conservative approach with alternate day prednisone (30 to 50 mg) along with pulse cyclophosphamide (800 to 1,200 mg every 2 to 3 weeks) is recommended...
- Thalidomide in refractory and relapsing multiple myelomaJ Blade
Institute of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Hematology, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Villaroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Semin Oncol 28:588-92. 2001..No decrease in the size of soft tissue plasmacytomas was observed in six patients with extramedullary involvement...
- Impaired production of interleukin 6 and tumour necrosis factor alpha in whole blood cell cultures of patients with multiple myelomaX Filella
Department of Clinical Biochemistry Unit for Cancer Research, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Cytokine 10:993-6. 1998..001 for IL-6 and TNF-alpha at 24 and 48 h). The impaired IL-6 and TNF-alpha production in patients with symptomatic MM is probably due to a tumour-related immunosuppressive status...
- High-dose therapy/autologous stem cell transplantation in patients with chemosensitive multiple myeloma: predictors of complete remissionE Nadal
Hematology Department, BMT Section, Institute of Hemato-Oncology, , IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Bone Marrow Transplant 33:61-4. 2004..Finally, the pretransplant features significantly associated to CR were a low M-protein size (serum </=10 g/l and urine <0.5 g/24 h) (P=0.0003) and a proportion of bone marrow plasma cells of </=5% (P=0.02)...
- Dramatic improvement of POEMS syndrome following autologous haematopoietic cell transplantationM Rovira
Department of Haematology, BMT Unit, Postgraduate School of Haematology Farreras Valenti, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Br J Haematol 115:373-5. 2001..We believe that this is the first reported case of POEMS syndrome treated with AHCT, a procedure that could be considered in similarly affected patients...
- Randomized comparison of dexamethasone combined with melphalan versus melphalan with prednisone in the treatment of elderly patients with multiple myelomaJ M Hernandez
Department of Haematology, Hospital General de Segovia, Segovia, Spain
Br J Haematol 127:159-64. 2004..According to these results MP remains as the gold standard for treatment of MM and should be the reference for comparison of new therapeutic approaches involving novel agents...
- Prognostic factors for multiple myeloma in the era of novel agentsJ Blade
Institut of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Hematology, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Oncol 19:vii117-20. 2008
- Waldenström macroglobulinaemia: presenting features and outcome in a series with 217 casesR Garcia-Sanz
Department of Haematology, University Hospital of Salamanca, Paseo de San Vicente, Salamanca, Spain
Br J Haematol 115:575-82. 2001....
- Henoch-Schönlein IgA glomerulonephritis complicating myeloma kidneys: case reportP Arrizabalaga
Service of Nephrology, Hospital Clinic, Biomedical Investigation Institute August Pi i Sunyer, C Villarroel 170, 08036, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Hematol 82:526-8. 2003..This case suggests that mesangial IgA deposition should be considered within the spectrum of consequent glomerular lesion-associated chemotherapy occurring in multiple myeloma...
- Pathogenesis and progression of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significanceJ Blade
Department of Hematology, Institut of Hematology and Oncology, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Leukemia 22:1651-7. 2008..It is recommended to follow these patients, particularly those with high risk of progression, annually to detect MM before complications, such as renal failure or extensive skeletal, involvement occur...
- Bladder involvement of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma diagnosed by a cytological study of the urineM Jiménez-Hernández
Department of Hematology, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel, Barcelona, Spain
Leuk Lymphoma 43:187-9. 2002..This case emphasizes the interest of cytological studies of the urine in cases with suspected bladder involvement by lymphoma...
- Plasma cell leukemia: consensus statement on diagnostic requirements, response criteria and treatment recommendations by the International Myeloma Working GroupC Fernández de Larrea
Amyloidosis and Myeloma Unit, Department of Hematology, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Leukemia 27:780-91. 2013..Allogeneic transplantation can be considered in younger patients. Prospective multicenter studies are required to provide revised definitions and better understanding of the pathogenesis of PCL...
- Emergence of oligoclonal bands in patients with multiple myeloma in complete remission after induction chemotherapy: association with the use of novel agentsCarlos Fernández de Larrea
Departments of Hematology, Servei d Hematologia, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Haematologica 96:171-3. 2011..This difference could be due to a higher antitumor effect associated with the use of novel drugs, a stronger immune reconstitution, or both...
- Survival after progression in patients with follicular lymphoma: analysis of prognostic factorsS Montoto
Department of Hematology, , , Barcelona, Spain
Ann Oncol 13:523-30. 2002..CONCLUSION: In patients with FL, RD along with performance status at progression are features that predict SFP. These variables could thus be useful to select candidates for experimental treatments...
- Primary systemic amyloidosis presenting as a colonic stricture: successful treatment with left hemicolectomy followed by autologous hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation: report of a caseS Rives
, Department of Hematology and Postgraduate School of Hematology Farreras Valent, Barcelona, Spain
Dis Colon Rectum 45:1263-6. 2002..The clinical manifestations and differential diagnosis of gastrointestinal involvement of primary systemic amyloidosis, as well as its current treatment, are discussed...
- Predictive value of Follicular Lymphoma International Prognostic Index (FLIPI) in patients with follicular lymphoma at first progressionS Montoto
Department of Hematology and Hematopathology Unit, , IDIBAPS, Barcelona
Ann Oncol 15:1484-9. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: In patients with FL at first relapse/progression, the FLIPI, along with the presence of bulky disease and B symptoms, are features that predict SFP and thus could be useful to select candidates for experimental treatments...
- Myeloablative treatments for multiple myeloma: update of a comparative study of different regimens used in patients from the Spanish registry for transplantation in multiple myelomaJuan Jose Lahuerta
Spanish Stem Cell Transplantation Group GETH, Spanish Society of Hematology, Madrid
Leuk Lymphoma 43:67-74. 2002..However, the better response rates associated with the favorable tendency in outcome achieved with BUMEL, continue to justify further prospective studies...
- Update on treatment recommendations from the Third International Workshop on Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemiaSteven P Treon
Bing Program for Waldenstrom s Macroglobulinemia, Dana Farber Cancer Institute LG102, 44 Binney Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Blood 107:3442-6. 2006....
- Myeloma management guidelines: a consensus report from the Scientific Advisors of the International Myeloma FoundationBrian G M Durie
Cedars Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hematol J 4:379-98. 2003..2. Staging and prognostic factors. 3. Frontline therapy. 4. High-dose therapy and transplant. 5. Maintenance therapy. 6. Supportive care and management of specific complications. 7. Novel therapies and new technologies...
- The future role of thalidomide in multiple myelomaMario Boccadoro
Divisione di Ematologia, Ospedale Molinette, Torino, Italy
Acta Haematol 114:18-22. 2005..The workshop acknowledged the problems associated with designing a phase III study, and it is clear that many areas need to be addressed in the use of thalidomide for the treatment of multiple myeloma...
- Management of disease-related anemia in patients with multiple myeloma or chronic lymphocytic leukemia: epoetin treatment recommendationsHeinz Ludwig
Department of Medicine and Medical Oncology, Wihelminenspital, Montleartstrasse 37, A 1171 Vienna, Austria
Hematol J 3:121-30. 2002..Epoetin treatment should be discontinued if there is no response to the increased dosage, or hemoglobin >14 g/dl. Treatment should resume for patients who exceed 14 g/dl, at a reduced dosage, if their hemoglobin falls below 12 g/dl...
- Myeloma in patients younger than age 50 years presents with more favorable features and shows better survival: an analysis of 10 549 patients from the International Myeloma Working GroupHeinz Ludwig
Department of Medicine, Wilhelminenspital, Montleartstr 37, 1160 Vienna, Austria
Blood 111:4039-47. 2008....