- Long-term results after cardiac surgery in patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus type-1 (HIV-1)Carlos A Mestres
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hospital Clinico, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 23:1007-16; discussion 1016. 2003..Assessment of long-term results of immunodeficiency virus type-1 (HIV-1)-infected patients undergoing cardiac surgery...
- Alternariosis after liver transplantationN Benito
Institut Clínic d Infeccions i Inmunologia, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 72:1840-3. 2001..We describe an additional case and review the literature on infections due to Alternaria in organ transplant recipients, with special emphasis on treatment...
- Infection with human herpesvirus 6 after kidney-pancreas transplantNatividad Benito
Infectious Diseases Service, Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Transplant 4:1197-9. 2004..The role of HHV-6 in solid-organ transplant recipients is not well defined. In hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (SCT) HHV-6 may cause fever, rash, myelosuppression, interstitial pneumonitis, and encephalitis...
- Diagnosis and treatment of latent tuberculosis infection in liver transplant recipients in an endemic areaNatividad Benito
Institut Clínic de Infeccions i Inmunologia, Hospital Clínic IDIBAPS Barcelona, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 74:1381-6. 2002..In addition, the risk of isoniazid hepatotoxicity could be high in liver transplant recipients (LTR). A retrospective cohort study was performed to evaluate the diagnosis and treatment of LTBI in LTR...
- Inflammatory responses in blood samples of human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients with pulmonary infectionsNatividad Benito
Service of Infectious Diseases, Institut Clínic de Infeccions i Inmunologia, Clinic Hospital IDIBAPS, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 11:608-14. 2004..An elevated IL-8 level (>61 pg/ml) at the time of admission was an independent factor associated with higher mortality (odds ratio, 12; 95% confidence interval, 1.2 to 235.5)...
- [Human herpesvirus type 6 and type 7 in transplant recipients]Natividad Benito
Servicio de Infecciones Institut Clínic d Infeccions i Inmunologia Hospital Clínic Universitari IDIBAPS Barcelona España
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 21:424-32. 2003....
- Prevalence of dihydropteroate synthase genotypes before and after the introduction of combined antiretroviral therapy and their influence on the outcome of Pneumocystis pneumonia in HIV-1-infected patientsMiriam J Alvarez-Martinez
Hospital Clínic IDIBAPS Institut d Investigació August Pi i Sunyer, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 68:60-5. 2010..However, their presence did not worsen prognosis of PcP. The response to TMP-SMX with therapeutic doses was successful in most cases...
- Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia in Spanish HIV-infected patients in the combined antiretroviral therapy era: prevalence of dihydropteroate synthase mutations and prognostic factors of mortalityMiriam J Alvarez-Martinez
Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 62:34-43. 2008..03 and P < 0.001, respectively). The prevalence of DHPS mutants in Spain is low and is not associated with a worse outcome. Severe respiratory failure at admission is the strongest predictor of PCP outcome...
- Human herpesvirus 7 primary infection in kidney transplant recipientsAndrés Antón
Department of Microbiology, Hospital Clinic Barcelona, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 85:298-302. 2008..In our study, the incidence of posttransplant HHV-7 primary infection was low and asymptomatic...
- A prospective survey of human herpesvirus-6 primary infection in solid organ transplant recipientsCarlos Cervera
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 82:979-82. 2006..In conclusion, our findings show a low incidence of symptomatic primary HHV-6 infection among seronegative solid-organ transplant recipients...
- Influence of age in renal transplant infections: cases and controls studyIsabel Trouillhet
Services of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 80:989-92. 2005..Mortality rate was 13% in the cases (5% due to infections), whereas there was no controls' mortality. Although the number of bacterial infections was higher, kidney transplantation in elderly patients is a secure procedure...
- Prognostic factors of non-HIV immunocompromised patients with pulmonary infiltratesAna Rañó
Servei de Pneumologia, Institut Clinic de Pneumologia i Cirurgia Toracica, Barcelona, Spain
Chest 122:253-61. 2002..To assess the outcome and the prognostic factors in 200 non-HIV immunocompromised patients with pulmonary infiltrates (PIs)...
- Pulmonary infiltrates in immunosuppressed patients: analysis of a diagnostic protocolCristina Danes
Servei de Microbiologia, Institut Clinic d Infeccions i Immunologia, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques Agustí Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 40:2134-40. 2002..Rapid diagnostic tests yielded results in 71 of 114 (62.2%) diagnoses of etiological pneumonia...
- Health care-associated native valve endocarditis: importance of non-nosocomial acquisitionNatividad Benito
Hospital de Santa Creu i Sant Pau, University Autonoma of Barcelona, and Hospital Clínic IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Intern Med 150:586-94. 2009..The clinical profile and outcome of nosocomial and non-nosocomial health care-associated native valve endocarditis are not well defined...
- Sensitivity and specificity of nested and real-time PCR for the detection of Pneumocystis jiroveci in clinical specimensMiriam J Alvarez-Martinez
Microbiology Department, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 56:153-60. 2006..Real-time PCR has a statistically significantly better specificity than nested PCR (P = .015) and is likely to generate fewer false positives...
- [Specialized home care for infectious disease. Experience from 1995 to 2002]Juan Pablo Horcajada
Servicio de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Universidad de Barcelona, IDIBAPS Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 25:429-36. 2007..This study reviews the experience of this service from 1995 to 2002 using prospectively recorded data...
- Native valve endocarditis due to coagulase-negative staphylococci: report of 99 episodes from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis Merged DatabaseVivian H Chu
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:1527-30. 2004..These results emphasize the importance of CoNS as a cause of NVE and the potential for serious complications with this infection...