- [Phenotypic heterogeneity of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]Judith Garcia-Aymerich
Centro de Investigación en Epidemiología Ambiental CREAL, Barcelona, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 45:129-38. 2009..The information provided has the potential to increase our understanding of the heterogeneity of COPD phenotypes and help us plan future studies on aspects that are as yet unexplored...
- Night-time symptoms: a forgotten dimension of COPDA Agusti
Thorax Institute, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Villaroel 1170, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Respir Rev 20:183-94. 2011..In summary, night-time symptoms in COPD warrant further clinical investigation with validated tools...
- Biomarkers in COPDAlvar Agusti
Thorax Institute, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona and CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias CIBERES, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain Electronic address
Clin Chest Med 35:131-41. 2014..Here, the authors review some general concepts in the field, discuss currently validated biomarkers in COPD, and speculate on potential future developments. ..
- The COPD control panel: towards personalised medicine in COPDAlvar Agusti
Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Thorax Institute, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Thorax 68:687-90. 2013..In fact, the recently released Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD), 2011 revision has proposed a new combined assessment method using three variables (symptoms, airflow limitation and exacerbations)...
- An investigation of the resolution of inflammation (catabasis) in COPDAina Noguera
Hospital Universitario Son Espases, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Respir Res 13:101. 2012..Because inflammation does not resolve in COPD, we hypothesized that catabasis may be abnormal in these patients...
- Persistent systemic inflammation is associated with poor clinical outcomes in COPD: a novel phenotypeAlvar Agusti
Thorax Institute, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona and Centro de investigación en red de enfermedades respiratorias CIBERES, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e37483. 2012..To explore if the persistence of systemic inflammation is associated with poor clinical outcomes in COPD we assessed patients recruited to the well-characterized ECLIPSE cohort (NCT00292552)...
- Systemic inflammation and comorbidities in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseAlvar Agusti
Institut del Tòrax, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, Escala 3, Planta 5, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Proc Am Thorac Soc 9:43-6. 2012....
- Systems medicine and integrated care to combat chronic noncommunicable diseasesJean Bousquet
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Arnaud de Villeneuve Hospital, CHU Montpellier, INSERM CESP U1018, Villejuif, France
Genome Med 3:43. 2011..This systems medicine strategy, which will take a holistic approach to disease, is designed to allow the results to be used globally, taking into account the needs and specificities of local economies and health systems...
- Current controversies and future perspectives in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseAlvar Agusti
Thorax Institute, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona and Centro deInvestigación Biomèdica en Red de Enfermedades Respiratorias and Centro Internacional de Medicina Respiratoria Avanzada, Mallorca, Illes Balears, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 184:507-13. 2011..Yet, there are many uncertainties and controversies that require further work. This review discusses these controversies and anticipates some of the changes that may occur in the near future in the field of COPD...
- Addressing the complexity of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: from phenotypes and biomarkers to scale-free networks, systems biology, and P4 medicineAlvar Agusti
Thorax Institute, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183:1129-37. 2011....
- Characterisation of COPD heterogeneity in the ECLIPSE cohortAlvar Agusti
Thorax Institute, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
Respir Res 11:122. 2010..Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a complex condition with pulmonary and extra-pulmonary manifestations. This study describes the heterogeneity of COPD in a large and well characterised and controlled COPD cohort (ECLIPSE)...
- [COPD and systemic inflammation. A link for comorbidity]Alvar Agusti
Institut del Tòrax, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Fundación Caubet CIMERA, Illes Balears, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 45:14-7. 2009..Therefore, the association between systemic inflammation and comorbidity in COPD is a tempting, but unproven, one...
- Characteristics, stability and outcomes of the 2011 GOLD COPD groups in the ECLIPSE cohortAlvar Agusti
Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona and CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, FISIB, Mallorca, Spain
Eur Respir J 42:636-46. 2013..However the assumption that symptoms do not equate to risk appears to be naïve, as groups B and C carry equally poor clinical outcomes, though for different reasons. ..
- Molecular mechanisms of inflammation during exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseAna L Kersul
Servicio de Neumologia, Hospital Universitario Son Dureta, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Arch Bronconeumol 47:176-83. 2011..The mechanisms of this inflammatory process are not well known...
- Abnormal levels of circulating endothelial progenitor cells during exacerbations of COPDErnest Sala
Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital Universitari Son Dureta, 07014, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Lung 188:331-8. 2010..003). In a subset of 12 patients who could be studied during both ECOPD and clinical stability, the EPCs levels increased during ECOPD. We conclude that EPC levels are increased during ECOPD, likely in relation to VEGF upregulation...
- Anti-tissue antibodies are related to lung function in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseBelén Núñez
Hospital Son Dureta, C Andrea Doria 55, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183:1025-31. 2011..Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a multicomponent disease. Autoimmunity can contribute to the pathogenesis of COPD...
- Investigating the natural history of lung function: facts, pitfalls, and opportunitiesRobab Kohansal
Program of Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Fundación Caubet CIMERA Illes Balears, Recinte Hospital Joan March, Illes Balears, Spain
Chest 135:1330-41. 2009..Finally, some characteristics of an "ideal" study on the natural history of lung function decline are recommended, both in health and disease...
- Lungs, bone marrow, and adipose tissue. A network approach to the pathobiology of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseAlvar Agusti
1 Thorax Institute, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 188:1396-406. 2013..The caveats and limitations of the hypothesis, as well as the experimental and clinical research needed to test and explore the proposed model, are also briefly discussed. ..
- Abnormal lung aging in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisRosa Faner
Fundación Investigación Sanitaria Illes Balears, Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red Enfermedades Respiratorias CIBERES, Palma de Mallorca, and Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 186:306-13. 2012..A better understanding of these abnormalities may help in the design of novel and better therapeutic interventions for these patients...
- The GOLD initiative 2011: a change of paradigm?Roberto Rodriguez-Roisin
Servei de Pneumologia, Institut del Tòrax, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, IDIBAPS and CIBERES, Barcelona, Spain
Arch Bronconeumol 48:286-9. 2012..This revision debates not only the most significant aspects, which remain relatively intact, but also, and in particular, those that have been substantially modified compared with the GOLD revision from 2006...
- [Clinical phenotypes of COPD]Patricia Sobradillo
Ciber en Enfermedades Respiratorias, Mallorca, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 46:8-11. 2010..The present article reviews current knowledge of this topic...
- Low erythropoietin plasma levels during exacerbations of COPDErnest Sala
Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital Universitari Son Dureta, C Andrea Doria 55, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Respiration 80:190-7. 2010....
- Monitoring breathing rate at home allows early identification of COPD exacerbationsAina M Yanez
Fundación de Investigación Sanitaria Illes Balears, Edificio S Hospital Universitario Son Espases, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Chest 142:1524-9. 2012..Respiratory frequency increases during exacerbations of COPD (ECOPD). We hypothesized that this increase can be detected at home before ECOPD hospitalization...
- Telomere shortening in sleep apnea syndromeAntonia Barcelo
Servei de Analisis Cliniques, Hospital Universitari Son Dureta, C Andrea Doria 55, 07014, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Respir Med 104:1225-9. 2010..Because these conditions also occur in patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome (OSAS), we hypothesized that TL would be reduced in patients with OSAS...
- HLA distribution in COPD patientsRosa Faner
Fundació Investigació Sanitaria Illes Balears FISIB, Palma de Mallorca, Barcelona, Spain
COPD 10:138-46. 2013..Auto-immune diseases are characterized by an abnormal distribution of HLA class II alleles (DR and DQ). The distribution of DRB1 and DQB1 alleles has not been investigated in COPD...
- Differential effects of smoking and COPD upon circulating myeloid derived suppressor cellsSergio Scrimini
Fundación Investigación Sanitaria Illes Balears FISIB, Hospital Universitari Son Espases, Palma de Mallorca, Spain Centro de Investigación Biomédica En Red de Enfermedades Respiratorias CIBERES, Mallorca, Spain
Respir Med 107:1895-903. 2013..The effects of smoking on MDSCs and their potential participation in COPD immunopathogenesis have not been explored so far...
- The natural history of chronic airflow obstruction revisited: an analysis of the Framingham offspring cohortRobab Kohansal
Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Fundación Caubet CIMERA Illes Balears, Recinte Hospital Joan March, 07110 Bunyola, Illes Balears, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:3-10. 2009..Understanding normal lung development and aging in health and disease, both in men and in women, is essential to interpreting any therapeutic intervention...
- Pathophysiology of muscle dysfunction in COPDJoaquim Gea
Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital del Mar IMIM, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
J Appl Physiol (1985) 114:1222-34. 2013..In the present review we examine the current state of the art of the pathophysiology of muscle dysfunction in COPD...
- P4 medicine: the future around the cornerPatricia Sobradillo
Ciber en Enfermedades Respiratorias, Barcelona, Spain
Arch Bronconeumol 47:35-40. 2011..This review establishes the conceptual bases and discusses the principal aspects of this new medicine, known as "P4 Medicine" standing for personalized, predictive, preventive and participatory...
- Lung Function Abnormalities are Highly Frequent in Patients with Heart Failure and Preserved Ejection FractionRut Andrea
Thorax Institute, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Spain Electronic address
Heart Lung Circ 23:273-9. 2014..In this study we explore the frequency, type and severity of lung function abnormalities in HFPEF...
- FAQs about the GOLD 2011 assessment proposal of COPD: a comparative analysis of four different cohortsAlvar Agusti
Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona
Eur Respir J 42:1391-401. 2013..These results identify several strengths and shortcomings of the new GOLD assessment proposal, particularly that group B is associated with more morbidity and high mortality. ..
- Immune response in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseRosa Faner
FISIB, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias CIBERES, Mallorca, Spain
Expert Rev Clin Immunol 9:821-33. 2013....
- [Phenotypic characterization and course of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in the PAC-COPD Study: design and methods]J Garcia-Aymerich
Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology CREAL, Institut Municipal d Investigació Mèdica Hospital del Mar, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, CIBER de Epidemiología y Salud Pública CIBERESP, Barcelona, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 45:4-11. 2009....
- Inflammatory proteins in patients with obstructive sleep apnea with and without daytime sleepinessMónica de la Peña Bravo
Hospital Universitario Son Dureta, Servicio de Neumologia, Palma de Mallorca, Baleares 07014, Spain
Sleep Breath 11:177-85. 2007..e., TNFalpha, IL-6, ICAM-1, 8-iso-PGF2alpha, and P-selectin in the context of sleep-disordered breathing...
- COPD as a systemic diseaseAlvar Agusti
Fundación Caubet CIMERA Illes Balears, Mallorca, Spain
COPD 5:133-8. 2008....
- [Reduced expression of the sarcoplasmic calcium pump SERCA2 in skeletal muscle from patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and low body weight]Montse Morla
Institut Universitari d Investigacio en Ciencies de la Salut IUNICS, Palma de Mallorca, Baleares, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 43:4-8. 2007....
- Is the CAT questionnaire sensitive to changes in health status in patients with severe COPD exacerbations?Alvar Agusti
Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Barcelona and CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Barcelona, Spain
COPD 9:492-8. 2012..63; p < 0.01). Change in CAT correlated well with Δ SGRQ (r = 0.63; p < 0.01). The CAT showed to be sensitive to the change in health status associated with ECOPD. We also provide evidence of the validity of the Spanish version...