Affiliation: University of Stellenbosch
Country: South Africa
- Is "shy bladder syndrome" a subtype of social anxiety disorder? A survey of people with paruresisBavanisha Vythilingum
MRC Unit on Anxiety Disorders, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg, Cape Town, South Africa
Depress Anxiety 16:84-7. 2002..Thus, paruresis can be a chronic and disabling symptom, and there seems to be an association between paruresis and other performance anxieties. Further research to characterize paruresis and to determine effective treatments is needed...
- Social anxiety disorder: psychobiological and evolutionary underpinningsDan J Stein
Department of Mental Health and Psychiatry, University of Cape Town, South Africa
CNS Spectr 12:806-9. 2007....
- Obsessive-compulsive disorders and dermatologic diseaseBavanisha Vythilingum
MRC Research Unit on Anxiety and Stress Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, PO Box 19063, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa
Dermatol Clin 23:675-80. 2005..Many of these patients experience considerable shame over their behavior and may be reluctant to acknowledge the existence of a psychiatric disorder. The dermatologist's approach to this patient is discussed...
- Pharmacological challenge with a serotonin 1D agonist in alcohol dependenceBavanisha Vythilingum
MRC, Dept of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
BMC Psychiatry 5:31. 2005..Administration of sumatriptan should therefore produce a craving for alcohol and the desire to drink...
- Selective attention to fearful faces during pregnancyAnnerine Roos
MRC Unit on Anxiety and Stress Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, Stellenbosch University, P O Box 19063, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 37:76-80. 2012....
- Risk factors for substance use in pregnant women in South AfricaBavanisha Vythilingum
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
S Afr Med J 102:851-4. 2012..To study the prevalence of alcohol and substance use in a South African antenatal population and its correlates with socio-demographic factors, depression and perceived stress...
- Altered prefrontal cortical function during processing of fear-relevant stimuli in pregnancyAnnerine Roos
MRC Unit on Anxiety and Stress Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, P O Box 19063, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa
Behav Brain Res 222:200-5. 2011....
- Quetiapine augmentation of SRIs in treatment refractory obsessive-compulsive disorder: a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled study [ISRCTN83050762]Paul D Carey
MRC Research Unit on Anxiety Disorders, University of Stellenbosch, Cape Town, South Africa
BMC Psychiatry 5:5. 2005..Quetiapine is generally well tolerated and previous open-label data has produced mixed results in OCD and additional controlled data is needed...
- Disability and quality of life in post-traumatic stress disorder: impact of drug treatmentSoraya Seedat
MRC Unit on Anxiety and Stress Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, Cape Town, South Africa
Pharmacoeconomics 24:989-98. 2006..Further investigation of the relationship of QOL to PTSD symptom severity, disability, treatment outcome and cost, among the different drug treatment modalities, is clearly needed...
- Anxiety disorders in pregnancyBavanisha Vythilingum
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, J Block, Anzio Road, Observatory, Cape Town 7935, South Africa
Curr Psychiatry Rep 10:331-5. 2008..The risk of teratogenicity with pharmacotherapy must be considered, but it can be minimized by judicious tapering and cessation of medication during high-risk periods...
- Adjunctive quetiapine for serotonin reuptake inhibitor-resistant obsessive-compulsive disorder: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled treatment trialsNaomi A Fineberg
Hertfordshire Partnership NHS Trust, UK
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 21:337-43. 2006..008), the clinical significance of which was limited by between-study heterogeneity. The mechanism underlying the effect may involve serotonin and/or dopamine neurotransmission...
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders in the Phase 1 cohort of the Safe Passage StudyBavanisha Vythilingum; Fiscal Year: 2008..By identifying early markers of FASD, this project aims to contribute to earlier diagnosis and thus intervention during critical developmental phases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..