Location: , South Africa
- Ruscio A, Lane M, Roy Byrne P, Stang P, Stein D, Wittchen H, et al. Should excessive worry be required for a diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder? Results from the US National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Psychol Med. 2005;35:1761-72 pubmed..These findings challenge the validity of the excessiveness requirement and highlight the need for further research into the optimal definition of GAD. ..
- Uys J, Muller C, Marais L, Harvey B, Stein D, Daniels W. Early life trauma decreases glucocorticoid receptors in rat dentate gyrus upon adult re-stress: reversal by escitalopram. Neuroscience. 2006;137:619-25 pubmed....
- Bruwer B, Stein D. A survey of participants in two internet support groups for people with hair-pulling. BMC Psychiatry. 2005;5:37 pubmed..Nevertheless, additional effort is required to ensure that subscribers are able to make informed, evidence-based decisions. ..
- Sorsdahl K, Stein D, Corrigall J, Cuijpers P, Smits N, Naledi T, et al. The efficacy of a blended motivational interviewing and problem solving therapy intervention to reduce substance use among patients presenting for emergency services in South Africa: A randomized controlled trial. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy. 2015;10:46 pubmed publisher..This trial registered with the Pan African Clinical Trial Registry (PACTR201308000591418). ..
- Stein D, Kogan C, Atmaca M, Fineberg N, Fontenelle L, Grant J, et al. The classification of Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders in the ICD-11. J Affect Disord. 2016;190:663-674 pubmed publisher....
- Stein D, Manyedi E. Psychoactive substances: Position statement on harm reduction. S Afr Med J. 2016;106:11223 pubmed publisher....
- Myers B, van der Westhuizen C, Naledi T, Stein D, Sorsdahl K. Readiness to change is a predictor of reduced substance use involvement: findings from a randomized controlled trial of patients attending South African emergency departments. BMC Psychiatry. 2016;16:35 pubmed publisher..Findings also suggest that providing additional support to individuals with depression may enhance intervention outcomes. This trial registered with the Pan African Clinical Trial Registry (PACTR201308000591418) on 14/07/2013. ..
- Theron G, Peter J, Zijenah L, Chanda D, Mangu C, Clowes P, et al. Psychological distress and its relationship with non-adherence to TB treatment: a multicentre study. BMC Infect Dis. 2015;15:253 pubmed publisher..Targeted interventions to alleviate psychological distress, alcohol use, and improve health literacy in newly-diagnosed TB patients could reduce non-adherence to treatment. ..
- Stein D, Koen N, Donald K, Adnams C, Koopowitz S, Lund C, et al. Investigating the psychosocial determinants of child health in Africa: The Drakenstein Child Health Study. J Neurosci Methods. 2015;252:27-35 pubmed publisher....
- Stein D, Karam E, Shahly V, Hill E, King A, Petukhova M, et al. Post-traumatic stress disorder associated with life-threatening motor vehicle collisions in the WHO World Mental Health Surveys. BMC Psychiatry. 2016;16:257 pubmed publisher..This raises the question whether MVC-related PTSD could be reduced with preventive interventions targeted to high-risk survivors using models based on predictors assessed in the immediate aftermath of the MVCs. ..
- Donald K, Fernandez A, Claborn K, KUO C, Koen N, Zar H, et al. The developmental effects of HIV and alcohol: a comparison of gestational outcomes among babies from South African communities with high prevalence of HIV and alcohol use. AIDS Res Ther. 2017;14:28 pubmed publisher..Interventions are needed to reduce alcohol consumption among pregnant mothers and to support healthy growth and psychosocial development of infants. ..
- Stein D, Ahokas A, Albarran C, Olivier V, Allgulander C. Agomelatine prevents relapse in generalized anxiety disorder: a 6-month randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled discontinuation study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2012;73:1002-8 pubmed publisher..This study evaluated the efficacy and tolerability of agomelatine in the prevention of relapse in patients with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)...
- Stein D, Craske M, Friedman M, Phillips K. Meta-structure issues for the DSM-5: how do anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive and related disorders, post-traumatic disorders, and dissociative disorders fit together?. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2011;13:248-50 pubmed publisher..Despite the imperfections of any meta-structure, we are hopeful that each revision of the nosology will bring with it greater diagnostic validity and clinical utility. ..
- Stein D, Hermesh H, Eilam D, Segalas C, Zohar J, Menchón J, et al. Human compulsivity: A perspective from evolutionary medicine. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2016;26:869-76 pubmed publisher..The symptoms of behavioral addictions can also be conceptualized in evolutionary terms (for example, mismatch), which in turn provides a sound foundation for approaching assessment and intervention. ..
- Stein D, Flessner C, Franklin M, Keuthen N, Lochner C, Woods D. Is trichotillomania a stereotypic movement disorder? An analysis of body-focused repetitive behaviors in people with hair-pulling. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2008;20:194-8 pubmed publisher..Speculatively, this argument may be especially valid in trichotillomania patients with more focused hair-pulling symptoms. ..
- Stein For The Executive Committee Of The Central Drug Authority D. Position statement on cannabis. S Afr Med J. 2016;106:45-46 pubmed publisher....
- Stein D, Ahokas A, Jarema M, Avedisova A, Vavrusova L, Chaban O, et al. Efficacy and safety of agomelatine (10 or 25 mg/day) in non-depressed out-patients with generalized anxiety disorder: A 12-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2017;27:526-537 pubmed publisher..The present data support early work indicating the efficacy and tolerability of agomelatine in the treatment of GAD. ..
- Greenberg E, Grant J, Curley E, Lochner C, Woods D, Tung E, et al. Predictors of comorbid eating disorders and association with other obsessive-compulsive spectrum disorders in trichotillomania. Compr Psychiatry. 2017;78:1-8 pubmed publisher..Future research is needed to identify additional predictors of comorbid disorders and to better understand the complex relationships between BFRBs, OCD and EDs. ..
- Stein D, Lim C, Roest A, De Jonge P, Aguilar Gaxiola S, Al Hamzawi A, et al. The cross-national epidemiology of social anxiety disorder: Data from the World Mental Health Survey Initiative. BMC Med. 2017;15:143 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these cross-national data emphasize the international clinical and public health significance of SAD. ..
- Gray N, Dhana A, Van Der Vyver L, Van Wyk J, Khumalo N, Stein D. Determinants of hair cortisol concentration in children: A systematic review. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2017;87:204-214 pubmed publisher..This review aims to assess the extent to which established determinants of HCC in adults have been consistently reported in children (birth - 18 years) and to identify determinants of HCC specific to this age group...
- Stein D, Grant J, Franklin M, Keuthen N, Lochner C, Singer H, et al. Trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder), skin picking disorder, and stereotypic movement disorder: toward DSM-V. Depress Anxiety. 2010;27:611-26 pubmed publisher....
- Stein D, Garner J, Keuthen N, Franklin M, Walkup J, Woods D. Trichotillomania, stereotypic movement disorder, and related disorders. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2007;9:301-2 pubmed..Such disorders deserve greater recognition in the official nosology, and there would seem to be clinical utility in classifying them in the same diagnostic category. ..