L O Somova
Affiliation: University of Durban-Westville
Country: South Africa
- Mongolian gerbil (Meriones unguiculatus) as a model of cerebral infarction for testing new therapeutic agentsL I Somova
Department of Human Physiology, University of Durban Westville, South Africa
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 22:203-10. 2000..Experimental infarction in gerbil recreates the ischemic conditions causing stroke in humans. The animal model may be used for evaluating the efficacy of therapeutic agents that may ameliorate the condition in man...
- Antioxidant status of the hypertrophic heart of Dahl hypertensive rat as a model for evaluation of antioxidantsL I Somova
Department of Human Physiology and Electron Microscope Unit, University of Durban Westville, South Africa
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 23:5-12. 2001..Before the Dahl rat can be considered as a suitable model for testing new cardiac antioxidants, a full characterization of the level of cardiac oxygen free radicals is required...
- Cardiovascular and diuretic activity of kaurene derivatives of Xylopia aethiopica and Alepidea amatymbicaL I Somova
Department of Human Physiology, University of Durban Westville, Private Bag X54001, Durban, South Africa
J Ethnopharmacol 77:165-74. 2001..Further experiments are needed to elaborate the exact mechanisms of the hypotensive and diuretic effects of diterpene kaurenoids...
- Antihypertensive, antiatherosclerotic and antioxidant activity of triterpenoids isolated from Olea europaea, subspecies africana leavesL I Somova
Department of Human Physiology, University of Durban Westville, Private Bag X54001, Durban 4000, South Africa
J Ethnopharmacol 84:299-305. 2003..GO, OA and CT isolates could provide an effective and cheap treatment of this particular, most common type of salt-sensitive hypertension in the African population...
- Cardiovascular, antihyperlipidemic and antioxidant effects of oleanolic and ursolic acids in experimental hypertensionL O Somova
Department of Human Physiology, University of Durban Westville, Durban, South Africa
Phytomedicine 10:115-21. 2003..Except for the antihyperlipidemic effects, the other described above in vivo antihypertensive effects of OA and UA are reported for the first time and the underlying mechanisms are currently under investigation...
- Cardiotonic and antidysrhythmic effects of oleanolic and ursolic acids, methyl maslinate and uvaolL I Somova
Department of Human Physiology University of Durban Westville, Durban, South Africa
Phytomedicine 11:121-9. 2004....
- The role of C-reactive protein in ischemia/reperfusion injury and preconditioning in a rat model of myocardial infarctionA Valtchanova-Matchouganska
Tara Hospital, Morose Center 50 Saxon Rd, Hurlingham, Johannesburg 2194, South Africa
Life Sci 75:901-10. 2004..This could be a promising perspective in clinical interventions against ischemia/reperfusion injuries of the heart...