Anthony I Okoh
Affiliation: University of Fort Hare
Country: South Africa
- Caine L, Nwodo U, Okoh A, Ndip R, Green E. Occurrence of virulence genes associated with diarrheagenic Escherichia coli isolated from raw cow's milk from two commercial dairy farms in the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2014;11:11950-63 pubmed publisher..The amplification of pathogenic genes associated with diarrheagenic E. coli from cows' raw milk demonstrates that potentially virulent E. coli strains are widely distributed in raw milk and may be a cause of concern for human health. ..
- Okaiyeto K, Nwodo U, Mabinya L, Okoh A. Bacillus toyonensis strain AEMREG6, a bacterium isolated from South African marine environment sediment samples produces a glycoprotein bioflocculant. Molecules. 2015;20:5239-59 pubmed publisher..The outstanding flocculating performance of REG-6 holds great potential to replace the hazardous chemical flocculants currently used in water treatment. ..
- Iweriebor B, Obi L, Okoh A. Virulence and antimicrobial resistance factors of Enterococcusspp. isolated from fecal samples from piggery farms in Eastern Cape, South Africa. BMC Microbiol. 2015;15:136 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to determine the spread of vancomycin resistance among bacteria of human origin in the communities. ..
- Titilawo Y, Obi L, Okoh A. Occurrence of virulence gene signatures associated with diarrhoeagenic and non-diarrhoeagenic pathovars of Escherichia coli isolates from some selected rivers in South-Western Nigeria. BMC Microbiol. 2015;15:204 pubmed publisher..coli in the selected rivers and a potential public health risk as the rivers are important resources for domestic, recreational and livelihood usage by their host communities. ..
- Igwaran A, Iweriebor B, Okoh A. Molecular Characterization and Antimicrobial Resistance Pattern of Escherichia coli Recovered from Wastewater Treatment Plants in Eastern Cape South Africa. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018;15: pubmed publisher..The study reveals that water samples recovered from the final effluents of WWTPs may likely be one of the major sources of antibiotic-resistant in Escherichia coli. ..
- Osuolale O, Okoh A. Assessment of the Physicochemical Qualities and Prevalence of Escherichia coli and Vibrios in the Final Effluents of Two Wastewater Treatment Plants in South Africa: Ecological and Public Health Implications. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015;12:13399-412 pubmed publisher..86 Ã— 10â´ CFU/100 mL and Vibrio counts ranging between 0 and 9.93 Ã— 10Â³ CFU/100 mL. We conclude that these WWTPs are important point sources of pollution in surface water with potential public health and ecological risks. ..
- Akinpelu D, Alayande K, Aiyegoro O, Akinpelu O, Okoh A. Probable mechanisms of biocidal action of Cocos nucifera Husk extract and fractions on bacteria isolates. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2015;15:116 pubmed publisher..This study established the possibility of developing antimicrobial agents of natural origin to combat resistance to antimicrobial compounds by some pathogens currently being experienced in agricultural and health care environments. ..
- Iweriebor B, Iwu C, Obi L, Nwodo U, Okoh A. Multiple antibiotic resistances among Shiga toxin producing Escherichia coli O157 in feces of dairy cattle farms in Eastern Cape of South Africa. BMC Microbiol. 2015;15:213 pubmed publisher..We conclude that dairy cattle farms in the Eastern Cape Province are potential reservoirs of antibiotic resistance determinants in the province. ..
- Igwaran A, Iweriebor B, Ofuzim Okoh S, Nwodo U, Obi L, Okoh A. Chemical constituents, antibacterial and antioxidant properties of the essential oil flower of Tagetes minuta grown in Cala community Eastern Cape, South Africa. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:351 pubmed publisher..uberis and 0.125 mg/mL for Vibrio spp. Findings from this study suggest that the EO of T. minuta flower may be a useful candidate in the search for lead constituents for the synthesis of new potent antibacterial and antioxidant agent. ..
- Bisi Johnson M, Obi C, Samuel B, Eloff J, Okoh A. Antibacterial activity of crude extracts of some South African medicinal plants against multidrug resistant etiological agents of diarrhoea. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:321 pubmed publisher..enterica serovar Typhimurium. The presence of bioactive compounds and the antibacterial activity of some of the selected herbs against multidrug resistant enteric agents corroborate assertions by traditional healers on their efficacies. ..
- Larayetan R, Okoh O, Sadimenko A, Okoh A. Terpene constituents of the aerial parts, phenolic content, antibacterial potential, free radical scavenging and antioxidant activity of Callistemon citrinus (Curtis) Skeels (Myrtaceae) from Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:292 pubmed publisher..Observations drawn from this experiment shows clearly that the leaves and flowers of Callistemon citrinus possess phenolic compounds and cyclic ether of several pharmacological behaviors. ..
- Aiyegoro O, Okoh A. Preliminary phytochemical screening and in vitro antioxidant activities of the aqueous extract of Helichrysum longifolium DC. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2010;10:21 pubmed publisher..24%) and Gallic (94.82%). Our findings provide evidence that the crude aqueous extract of H. longifolium is a potential source of natural antioxidants, and this justified its uses in folkloric medicines. ..
- Nwodo U, Agunbiade M, Green E, Nwamadi M, Rumbold K, Okoh A. Characterization of an Exopolymeric Flocculant Produced by a Brachybacterium sp. Materials (Basel). 2013;6:1237-1254 pubmed publisher..Its high flocculation activity suggests its suitability for industrial applicability. ..
- Bhembe N, Jaja I, Nwodo U, Okoh A, Green E. Prevalence of tuberculous lymphadenitis in slaughtered cattle in Eastern Cape, South Africa. Int J Infect Dis. 2017;61:27-37 pubmed publisher..However, 3.1% had M. bovis and 96.9% had M. tuberculosis. The presence of live Mycobacterium strains in slaughtered cattle poses a health risk to beef consumers and abattoir workers. ..
- Olasehinde T, Olaniran A, Okoh A. Therapeutic Potentials of Microalgae in the Treatment of Alzheimer's Disease. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..Phytochemical compounds from microalgae are used as pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals and food supplements, and may possess neuroprotective potentials that are relevant to the management and/or treatment of AD. ..
- Adeniji A, Okoh O, Okoh A. Petroleum Hydrocarbon Profiles of Water and Sediment of Algoa Bay, Eastern Cape, South Africa. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..Hence, there is need for adequate regulation and control of all activities contributing to the levels of petroleum hydrocarbon in the marine environment for the safety of human, aquatic and wild lives in the area. ..
- Penduka D, Okoh O, Okoh A. In-vitro antagonistic characteristics of crude aqueous and methanolic extracts of Garcinia kola (Heckel) seeds against some Vibrio bacteria. Molecules. 2011;16:2754-65 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Garcinia kola seeds hold promise as a potential source of therapeutic compounds of relevance in Vibrio infections management. ..
- Ntozonke N, Okaiyeto K, Okoli A, Olaniran A, Nwodo U, Okoh A. A Marine Bacterium, Bacillus sp. Isolated from the Sediment Samples of Algoa Bay in South Africa Produces a Polysaccharide-Bioflocculant. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..8%). The high flocculation activity shown indicates that the bioflocculant may contend favourably as an alternative to the conventionally used flocculants in water treatment. ..
- Yahaya A, Okoh O, Okoh A, Adeniji A. Occurrences of Organochlorine Pesticides along the Course of the Buffalo River in the Eastern Cape of South Africa and Its Health Implications. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..Therefore, there is a need for the adequate regulation of agrochemical storage, use, and disposal in this province and other parts of South Africa. ..
- Okoh A, Sibanda T, Gusha S. Inadequately treated wastewater as a source of human enteric viruses in the environment. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2010;7:2620-37 pubmed publisher..This paper reviews the major genera of pathogenic human enteric viruses, their pathogenicity and epidemiology, as well as the role of wastewater effluents in their transmission. ..
- Okaiyeto K, Nwodo U, Mabinya L, Okoli A, Okoh A. Characterization of a Bioflocculant (MBF-UFH) Produced by Bacillus sp. AEMREG7. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:12986-3003 pubmed publisher..The bioflocculant retained high flocculating activity of 90% after heating at 100 °C for 1 h. MBF-UFH appears to have immense potential as an alternative to conventional chemical flocculants. ..