Affiliation: University of Stellenbosch
Country: South Africa
- Bayesian receiver operating characteristic estimation of multiple tests for diagnosis of bovine tuberculosis in Chadian cattleBorna Muller
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 4:e8215. 2009..However, diagnostic test evaluation in a given setting is a prerequisite for the implementation of local surveillance schemes and control measures...
- Mixed infections of Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis and non-tuberculous mycobacteria in South African antelopes presenting with tuberculosis-like lesionsBorna Muller
DST NRF Centre of Excellence for Biomedical Tuberculosis Research MRC Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Division of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics, Stellenbosch University, Francie van Zyl Avenue, Tygerberg 7505, Cape Town, South Africa
Vet Microbiol 147:340-5. 2011..In cases where potentially pathogenic NTMs are isolated from mycobacterial cultures of tuberculosis-like lesions, the non-use of additional non-selective culture techniques could lead to misinterpretations of the diagnostic test results...
- inhA promoter mutations: a gateway to extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in South Africa?B Muller
Department of Science and Technology National Research Foundation Centre of Excellence for Biomedical Tuberculosis Research Medical Research Council Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Division of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics, Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Cape Town, South Africa
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 15:344-51. 2011..Western Cape and Eastern Cape Provinces, South Africa...
- Emergence and treatment of multidrug resistant (MDR) and extensively drug-resistant (XDR) tuberculosis in South AfricaElizabeth M Streicher
DST NRF Centre of Excellence for Biomedical TB Research MRC Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Division of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics, Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
Infect Genet Evol 12:686-94. 2012..An important step towards for curbing this epidemic will be collaboration between clinicians, laboratories and researchers to establish scientific knowledge and medical expertise to more efficiently guide public health policy...
- African 1, an epidemiologically important clonal complex of Mycobacterium bovis dominant in Mali, Nigeria, Cameroon, and ChadBorna Muller
Swiss Tropical Institute, Socinstrasse 57, 4002 Basel, Switzerland
J Bacteriol 191:1951-60. 2009....
- Comparative analysis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis pe and ppe genes reveals high sequence variation and an apparent absence of selective constraintsChristopher R E McEvoy
Department of Science and Technology, Medical Research Council Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Stellenbosch University, Tygerberg, Cape Town, South Africa
PLoS ONE 7:e30593. 2012..Since pe/ppe proteins are highly antigenic and have been studied as potential vaccine components these results should also prove informative for aspects of M. tuberculosis vaccine design...
- Population structure of multi- and extensively drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains in South AfricaViolet N Chihota
DST NRF Centre of Excellence for Biomedical Tuberculosis Research MRC Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Division of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics, Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa
J Clin Microbiol 50:995-1002. 2012..This situation may illustrate how failure of efficient health care delivery in one setting can burden health clinics in other areas...
- Molecular characterisation of Mycobacterium bovis isolated from cattle slaughtered at the Bamako abattoir in MaliBorna Muller
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
BMC Vet Res 4:26. 2008..Of 3330 animals screened only 60 exhibited gross visible lesions. From these animals, twenty strains of M. bovis were isolated and characterised by spoligotyping...
- Zoonotic Mycobacterium bovis-induced tuberculosis in humansBorna Muller
Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Cape Town, South Africa
Emerg Infect Dis 19:899-908. 2013..These generally low incidence rates notwithstanding, available data indicated substantial consequences of this disease for some population groups and settings...
- Emergence and spread of extensively and totally drug-resistant tuberculosis, South AfricaMarisa Klopper
Stellenbosch University, Cape Town, South Africa
Emerg Infect Dis 19:449-55. 2013..These findings suggest the emergence of totally drug-resistant TB...
- The heterogeneous evolution of multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosisBorna Muller
Department of Medical Parasitology and Infection Biology, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Trends Genet 29:160-9. 2013..tuberculosis. Improved knowledge of these factors will help better predict the future trajectory of MDR-TB, and contribute to the development of new tools and strategies to combat this growing public health threat...