Affiliation: University of Stellenbosch
Country: South Africa
- TB infection prevention and control experiences of South African nurses--a phenomenological studyDagmar Sissolak
Academic Unit for Infection Prevention and Control, Department of Interdisciplinary Health Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch and Tygerberg Academic Hospital, Tygerberg Campus, 9th Floor, Tygerberg Hospital, Tygerberg 7505, Cape Town, South Africa
BMC Public Health 11:262. 2011..Hospitals play a central role in the management of TB. We investigated nurses' experiences of factors influencing TB infection prevention and control (IPC) practices to identify risks associated with potential nosocomial transmission...
- Infection control practices in public dental care services: findings from one South African ProvinceS Mehtar
Academic Unit for Infection Control, Tygerberg Hospital, Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Cape Town, South Africa
J Hosp Infect 66:65-70. 2007..The risk of blood-borne virus transmission in a population with high human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevalence cannot be ignored...
- The antimicrobial activity of copper and copper alloys against nosocomial pathogens and Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolated from healthcare facilities in the Western Cape: an in-vitro studyS Mehtar
Academic Unit for Infection Prevention and Control, Department of Community Health, University of Health Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, Tygerberg, Western Cape, South Africa
J Hosp Infect 68:45-51. 2008..Time to positivity (TTP) for R267 was >15 days with Cu and 11 days for the other alloys; with R432 it was 5 days. Effective inhibition of nosocomial pathogens and MTB by Cu and alloys was best when the Cu content was >55%...
- Lowbury Lecture 2007: infection prevention and control strategies for tuberculosis in developing countries - lessons learnt from AfricaS Mehtar
Academic Unit for Infection Prevention and Control, Department of Community Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University and Tygerberg Hospital, Durbanville, Cape Town, Western Cape 7550, South Africa
J Hosp Infect 69:321-7. 2008..It is recommended that a foundation of sound knowledge should be established upon which best practices should be built within the framework of good IPC principles...
- The potential to transmit Mycobacterium tuberculosis at a South African tertiary teaching hospitalD Sissolak
Academic Unit for Infection Prevention and Control, Department of Interdisciplinary Health Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch and Tygerberg Hospital, H9, 9 th Floor, East, Private Bag X3, Stellenbosch, South Africa
Int J Infect Dis 14:e423-8. 2010..To assess the risk of nosocomial transmission by confirmed pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB) patients in a high TB/HIV incidence environment...
- HIV risk exposure among South African children in public health facilitiesO Shisana
Human Science Research Council, Cape Town, South Africa
AIDS Care 20:755-63. 2008..These infections can be prevented through education and improved infection-control procedures...
- Unexplained HIV-1 infection in children--documenting cases and assessing for possible risk factorsR Hiemstra
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health and Tygerberg Children's Hospital, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch
S Afr Med J 94:188-93. 2004..Circumstantial evidence supports but does not prove nosocomial transmission. Further studies and identification of medical procedures conducive to the spread of HIV are urgently needed...
- Challenges faced by South African health services in implementing the Mental Health Care ActC Lund
S Afr Med J 97:352-3. 2007